Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Mcnally's thoughts...

"Thank you for all of the messages of support last night. It is true that I don''t tend to retweet complimentary messages.

You can always check my timeline because that''s how twitter works.Vast majority messages were very supportive.Thank you.

We don''t normally comment on business with clubs. As Celtic commented, we can.We have a good relationship with Celtic.

We did make offers for one of their players. They didn''t want to sell or we didn''t meet their valuation.We respect their position.

We won''t/can''t spend money we don''t have even though our offers for players would have broken club transfer record x 2 if accepted.

In response to those that have asked, I really don''t know anything about a £9.2m bid for any player because we didn''t make one.

We did have interest in strikers. Our main international target was available for 20m euros. We don''t have 20m euros.

In our view though, we have managed to strengthen the squad during the window with Becchio, Kamara and Camp. "

Well said

Now I feel better about it all. All I wanted was that kind of answer, now we know.
Can''t wait to see the new players in action! OTBC

David, imo, you and the board let us down badly in this window, if we go down, it is imo again,  down to you unwilling to go that extra mile to get a good player in.

The extra mile being spending money we don''t have?

Buying ''good players'' doesn''t equal safety you know... Wolves probably thought they''d spent enough on good players to stay up last year. QPR the same this year.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]The extra mile being spending money we don''t have? Buying ''good players'' doesn''t equal safety you know... Wolves probably thought they''d spent enough on good players to stay up last year. QPR the same this year.[/quote]

GP, a good striker would have ensured we''d have beaten Spurs.

[quote user="Wiz"]David, imo, you and the board let us down badly in this window, if we go down, it is imo again,  down to you unwilling to go that extra mile to get a good player in.[/quote]
Under no uncertain circumstances was Hooper worth anymore than £3-4 or maybe even £5m. You''d have come on here shouting the odds if we''d have paid the fake fee of £9.2m. I know I would have. Rvw would possibly have been worth a punt at those sort of prices, but as it were his valuation was way beyond even that. We did what we could for our two main targets, as was evidenced by McNally but they were just out of our reach. Becchio is as proven as Hooper for a fraction of the cost. Stop being argumentative.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]The extra mile being spending money we don''t have? Buying ''good players'' doesn''t equal safety you know... Wolves probably thought they''d spent enough on good players to stay up last year. QPR the same this year.[/quote]

[/quote]
Then it is a shame we didn''t have Becchio or Kamara before that game, they''ve scored more goals each than any of our strikers this season. Fancy that.

[quote user="Nick"]"Thank you for all of the messages of support last night. It is true that I don''t tend to retweet complimentary messages. You can always check my timeline because that''s how twitter works.Vast majority messages were very supportive.Thank you. We don''t normally comment on business with clubs. As Celtic commented, we can.We have a good relationship with Celtic. We did make offers for one of their players. They didn''t want to sell or we didn''t meet their valuation.We respect their position. We won''t/can''t spend money we don''t have even though our offers for players would have broken club transfer record x 2 if accepted. In response to those that have asked, I really don''t know anything about a £9.2m bid for any player because we didn''t make one. We did have interest in strikers. Our main international target was available for 20m euros. We don''t have 20m euros. In our view though, we have managed to strengthen the squad during the window with Becchio, Kamara and Camp. " Well said[/quote]

Presumably this is Van Wolfswinkel?, why is he even a target if he is out of our price range then?, I''d love Messi here but we don''t have the £250m required for him either?!

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]
Then it is a shame we didn''t have Becchio or Kamara before that game, they''ve scored more goals each than any of our strikers this season. Fancy that.
[/quote]  so, you know that Leeds were prepared to let Becchio go earlier?  and that Kamaras work permit would only take a few minutes to process and that the MLS accepted our offer instantly? you really are in the know, and in many places.

[quote user="David McNally"]We won''t/can''t spend money we don''t have even though our offers for players would have broken club transfer record x 2 if accepted. [/quote]
What''s our record transfer? 4/5 million?
I''ve googled and seen quotes we paid 5 million for Bassong and 7 million for Turner, which sounds like nonsense...

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

No it would not have done.

We would have played differently and the game would not have gone the same way.

[quote user="Stig"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What, in the Premier League?

Weak reply GP, I expected better from you.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]
All if and but though Wiz, there''s no guarantee a "good" striker would have won the day, it might have even lost the game, who knows... 

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

Errr no it wouldnt. no guarantees in football.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That wasn''t me...

And its a good point, we''ve signed a striker in form. None of our players last season were previously prem quality, bar Drury for one season, yet we managed to finish 12th? Holt scored 15, Moro 9, Pilks 7/8 I think. How''d they manage that? They weren''t proven strikers, must have been cheating...

[quote user="dpit"]So come on Wiz. What is the extra mile to which you refer?[/quote]

Celtic asked for 10 million three ruddy weeks ago,  yet we leave it with an hour to go and still we haggled!

we have always known how inflated prices are in this window, Hooper is not worth more than 5 Million but Celtic wanted closer to 10. Despite being in so called financial trouble, Sporting wanted a similar amount for Wolfswinkel.

The real crime here was failing to get a quality striker in the Summer and instead bringing in Kane to provide competition for Holt.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="dpit"]So come on Wiz. What is the extra mile to which you refer?[/quote]

Celtic asked for 10 million three ruddy weeks ago,  yet we leave it with an hour to go and still we haggled!

[/quote]

We haggled because we couldnt afford £10m how simple does it need to be.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Stig"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] That wasn''t me... And its a good point, we''ve signed a striker in form. None of our players last season were previously prem quality, bar Drury for one season, yet we managed to finish 12th? Holt scored 15, Moro 9, Pilks 7/8 I think. How''d they manage that? They weren''t

proven strikers, must have been cheating...[/quote]

Or we had a more attack minded manager back then![;)]

I am disappointed that we didn''t bring in a class striker (although I am pleased with Becchio) I would of been much more disappointed if we spent around £8million on Hopper, who at best is worth half of that.

So let''s see how the new boys get on and look forward to spending money in the summer to bring in that class striker(s) for next season... OTBC!!!

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]Did they?  Got any proof of that???

[quote user="Wiz"]

David, imo, you and the board let us down badly in this window, if we go down, it is imo again,  down to you unwilling to go that extra mile to get a good player in.

[/quote]

I''m genuinely stunned that anyone could be this thick.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Impressive isn''t it

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

While not jumping to defend Wiz its not a question of intelligence but of expectations. He''s obviously disappointed that we have only spent £200k strengthening a team in what is a vitaly important transfer window and while some see no problem with this others expected more. When you consider that the striking position was identified in the summer as something we needed to look at, hence last minute Kane who hasnt worked out so far, then we have had months leading up to this point to identify realistic targets and prepare the groundwork. To find out that we could not afford two targets and the third wanted a move elsewhere in the last few days of January is not great is it?. I could understand if the moves depended on other transfers falling into place but that doesnt seem to have been the case. I think we will have enough to see us over the line this season, just, and therefore glad we didnt pay the figures quoted for RVW or Hooper, but I am disappointed that further targets in our budget were not identified and thats nothing to do with my IQ.

SCL wanted £17.25m for RVW although the generally accepted selling price that they leaked was £8m to £10m? Shows what we have to put up with nowadays.

BTW, Wiz shows himself up again for the attention seeker he is.

I''m stunned that you''re stunned, you''ve been posting on here longer than I have you should know by now!

Next week Wiz will be saying how pleased he is with the new signings and how he''s glad we didn''t pay over the odds for another striker (probably).