Sign in to follow this  
ricky knight

Lets get past the hype

Lets get it right City never got anywhere near the 9.2 mill bid thats being banded about, do you really think celtic would turn that down for a player who says he wants away, if not now but in the future and has only 18 months to run on his contract.

The bottom line is City did not get anywhere near Celtics asking price but hear tell it we got near to 6.5 mill.

So when people on hear say some fans wanted to get Hooper at ten mill its a false argument because we were led to believe the asking price was about 8 mill anyway.

I was all for signing Hooper and felt we should have matched the asking price but no way would i want us to spend 10 mill on him and i am sure others who wanted him would agree.

[quote user="ricky knight"]Lets get it right City never got anywhere near the 9.2 mill bid thats being banded about, do you really think celtic would turn that down for a player who says he wants away, if not now but in the future and has only 18 months to run on his contract.

The bottom line is City did not get anywhere near Celtics asking price but hear tell it we got near to 6.5 mill.

So when people on hear say some fans wanted to get Hooper at ten mill its a false argument because we were led to believe the asking price was about 8 mill anyway.

I was all for signing Hooper and felt we should have matched the asking price but no way would i want us to spend 10 mill on him and i am sure others who wanted him would agree.[/quote]

Agreed Ricky.I thought everyone knew that Ā£9.2 million was a twitter hoax.

[quote user="ricky knight"]but no way would i want us to spend 10 mill on him and i am sure others who wanted him would agree.[/quote]
Agree, 10 mill would have been silly but I doubt we got near the supposed 8 million asking price.
McNally said we would have have doubled our transfer fee record, now we can''t be certain of our records for last summer, so I''m going on the basis that Earnshaw at 2.75 mill rising to 3.5 mill. It''s a bit of a stab in the dark but I assume from that then maybe we offered about 6 rising to 7 with goals scored etc...

I can''t disagree with you there. I don''t know how much we bid for him or what Celtic wanted exactly and those who have been paying attention know the 9.2 mill figure came from a reported bid that actually never happened.
It is good to see that McNally wasn''t to be taken for a mug as 10mill could of  been a gross over payment. Obviously until a player has come in and played for a club for a while you don''t know how whether any transfer is a bargain, overpriced or a complete waste.
Davo

[quote user="Notts Canary"][quote user="ricky knight"]but no way would i want us to spend 10 mill on him and i am sure others who wanted him would agree.[/quote]
Agree, 10 mill would have been silly but I doubt we got near theĀ supposedĀ 8 million asking price.
McNally said we would have have doubled our transfer fee record, now we can''t be certain of our records for last summer, so I''m going on the basis that Earnshaw at 2.75 mill rising to 3.5 mill. It''s a bit of a stab in the dark but I assume from that then maybe we offered about 6 rising to 7 with goals scored etc...
[/quote]

I hear tell we got to about 6.5 mill