Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

so you all think Hooper IS worth 10 million quid do you?

He certainly is not!! Thats what Celtic wanted and for a non international that is ridiculous!!! If you idiots wanted us to pay that I dread to think what we would expect if you were running this club! Well done McNally for not wasting money on this player

I certainly don''t but my gripe is that ''if'' we''ve got in the region of £8m to spend how did it come to a situation where it was a case of Hooper or no-one?!?. Nobody can tell me that for that kind of money there is nobody out there that could enhance our striking options?

We clearly put ball our eggs in one basket.

Clubs are relectuant to sell their players in january, understandably. If you think the board left any stone unturned then i think you''re undermining them.

I think some people think he''s a world beater!

No where near worth that much - I''m glad we didn''t sign him if he was going for that much.

Jelavich, whilst not doing great this season, was signed for 5million - Hooper would therefore be nothing over about 6 million. He''s not even top scorer

Not all, Baldy old chap, not all.  I''m very glad we weren''t held to ransom over an unproven striker. Didn''t want him at any price.

As yet he is unproven at the highest level - The SPL is only about Championship or even League 1 level, but he might become worth it. It would have been a gamble.

I doubt whether we shall ever see him at CR now. If he has a good season in Europe, then the big pockets will beat us to him in the summer.

The way I look at it is. No other club (known) had a serious tickle at getting Hooper. That suggests his valuation is either sky high or he''s just not good enough for the EPL in other clubs opinions.

Or of course both of those. Personally I think he was''nt worth the risk above £4m

who says we didnt try to get others? just because it isnt all over the pressdoesnt mean we didnt try to get others in!!

[quote user="baldyboy"]who says we didnt try to get others? just because it isnt all over the pressdoesnt mean we didnt try to get others in!!
[/quote]

maybe? but I''m afraid that when Hughton has had the majority of the summer and a whole month in January to sign a striker better than we have (or at least equal to) with an apparant budget of up to £8m to do it with this month , and hasn''t it has to be regarded as a failure.

Our strikers have scored a total of 4 league goals between them this season and if they are seriously telling us that there is nobody out there in the world of football that couldnt have come into improve that with this £8m then there is something serioulsy wrong with our scouting network.

I''ll bite my tongue because I think we''ll be ok this season, but thats only because we will get some goals from other areas i.e Pilkington and Snodgrass and set pieces etc and by and large we''re reasonably solid defensively.........but if we''re dragged down into something serious I hope we dont look back on a transfer window where our nett spend was £200k.

when i first heard to ''twitter'' £9.2m rumour on SSN i was really happy. i was impressed that we would make such an astonishing bid. it seemed like a sign of intent, and that perhaps we had more cash to burn than any of us had realised.

but then i thought about it, i''ve always thought hooper could do a good job in the prem, but i dont think anyone should be paying more than £6m for him until he''s proved what he can do at the highest level and is knocking on roy hodgesons door.

at that point it became apparent that the £9.2m bid had been made up by someone on twitter, i was glad that we hadnt wasted our money.

i think becchio and kamara will give us the options we need to get those tricky 10pts for survival. any we''ve done it cheaply to boot.

i dont think anyone on here wanted city to go to 10 mill the asking price was round about 8, as i said before i wanted him here up to asking price but not beyond. As for international i believe he was to be called up last year but pulled out through injury.

Spot on I never really wanted Hooper and not even at the price of 5M he would be a huge risk, certainly not 10M

But this just shows up our scouting network as a failure any 14 year old could have scouted Hooper/Graham and RVW on Fifa.

There are 20+ countries in europe with better leagues than the SPL look beyond the top 3-4 teams and you will see strikers doing the business that wou;ld have jumped at the chance to come to the Premier League for much less than 5M.

Always had faith in Mcnally but this makes me wonder if they are stupid or think I am. Neither thought is ideal.

Definitely agree we should not have spent anything in excess of 5m for Hooper. Unproven at a higher level of football. Quite happy with Becchio who should knock in 5/6 goals on past record. If we had bought Hooper for 10m plus big wages it would not have helped team spirit. However whoever plays up front they must have much better support than we have seen recently and also put themselves about in the penalty box not linger on the wings.

[quote user="Nick"]Clubs are relectuant to sell their players in january, understandably. If you think the board left any stone unturned then i think you''re undermining them.[/quote]

Well I guess I must be then ! So ,, please tell ,, how do you know how many stones were being turned ? Do you have some inside knowledge ?