Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

How many of the following clubs had better transfer windows than us..

...Sunderland, West Ham, Fulham, Newcastle, Southampton, Wigan, Reading Aston Villa, QPR?

Genuine question because I don''t keep up with all the other club''s news.

Newcastle (5 signings, 4 class ones), QPR (Samba and Remy amongst others) and perhaps Sunderland (Graham is a huge signing)

Your point is a good one Nutty and one i take solace in. The lack of activity from our side is not a disaster when the majority of clubs below us completed even fewer deals.

I have to say that Villa made a couple of very desperate signings, i think they have to be one of the favourites for relegation at the moment.

Although QPR got in Samaba, Remy and Jenas they lost Cisse, Nelson and Faurlin. Although the latter are probably slightly lesser than the former (Jenas/Faurlin excluded) they haven''t really improved that much. Clint Hill will still be a central figure in defence and Tarrabt aside they have pretty much no creativity.

Redknapp has managed to make QPR solid defensively, but they have promptly stopped scoring. About midday yesterday ''Arry said ''we must sign a striker'' - they didn''t and goals will continue to be a problem.

I don''t think the bottom four have improved that greatly, apart from possibly QPR but they''ve got so much to do it doesn''t mean the spend will keep them up.

We just need to keep picking up points

The key ones are the bottom 5,  and Soton, Villa & Reading have not improved.   QPR as so far adrift that even the signings of Remy & Samba who have undoubtedly improved thier starting 11, thats its too little too late.

Wigan have signed players of their usual type,  relative unknown but who seem to be able to perform at prem level.   Whether any are palacios/n Zogbia, rodellega level is yet to be known - but I suspect they will continue their ability to unearth a gem and probably move away from the bottom.

Newcastle have swept for cheap french players and improved, esp in sissoko.

The key for us is Bassong being fit and Tettey and BJ being able to maintain their energy levels at weds 1st half rates  

As said elsewhere last night, Newcastle bought well and should pull clear. QPR have had a better window than us in my opinion, but whether it''s enough to see them catch up with us I''m not sure about. Then Reading, Southampton, Wigan and Villa have not really strengthened enough to have me thinking they''re going to over take us any time soon either.

So even if QPR do come really good, there should be at least 3 or 4 teams below us who will stay below us.

I think the only thing the signing of a top quality striker, and possibly a holding midfielder, in this window would have achieved is moving us from 15th to possibly sneaking into the top half. I think we''ll now finish 15thish but how much extra money would we have gotten for possibly finishing 4 or 5 places higher? Answer; probably about the same we''ve ''saved'' on not buying Hooper anyway.

The BBC''s analysis is here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21287435

Let''s look at the clubs below us:

ASTON VILLA

Ins: Yacouba Sylla [£2m from Clermont Foot], Simon Dawkins [loan from Tottenham]

Outs: Stephen Warnock [free to Leeds]

NEWCASTLE

Ins: Mathieu Debuchy [undisclosed, believed to be £5m, from Lille], Kevin Mbabu [undisclosed from Servette], Moussa Sissoko [undisclosed from Toulouse], Massadio Haidara [undisclosed from Nancy], Yoan Gouffran [undisclosed from Bordeaux], Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa [undisclosed, believed to be £6.7m, from Montpellier]

Outs: Demba Ba [undisclosed, believed to be £7m, to Chelsea], Conor Newton [loan to St Mirren], Xisco [free to Cordoba], Mehdi Abeid [loan to St. Johnstone], Bradden Inman [loan extension at Crewe].

QPR

Ins: Loic Remy [undisclosed, believed to be £8m, from Marseille], Tal Ben Haim [unattached], Christopher Samba [£12.5m from Anzhi Makhachkala], Yun Suk-young [undisclosed from Chunnam Dragons], Jermaine Jenas [undisclosed from Tottenham], Andros Townsend [loan from Tottenham]

Outs: Djibril Cisse [loan to Al Gharafa], Frankie Sutherland [loan to Portsmouth], Michael Harriman [loan to Wycombe], Alejandro Faurlin [loan to Palermo], Michael Doughty [loan to St Johnstone], Anton Ferdinand [loan to Bursaspor], Jordan Gibbons [loan to Inverness CT], Rob Hulse [loan to Millwall], Djibril Cisse [loan to Al Gharafa]

READING

Ins: Daniel Carrico [undisclosed from Sporting Lisbon], Stephen Kelly [undisclosed from Fulham], Hope Akpan [undisclosed from Crawley], Nick Blackman [undisclosed from Sheffield United]

Outs: Gozie Ugwu [loan to Plymouth], Dominic Samuel [loan to Colchester], Jordan Obita [loan to Oldham], Michael Hector [loan to Cheltenham]

SOUTHAMPTON

Ins: Vegard Forren [undisclosed from Molde]

Outs: Dan Seaborne [loan to Bournemouth], Ryan Dickson [loan to Bradford], Sam Hoskins [loan to Stevenage], Jonathan Forte [loan to Sheffield United], Steve de Ridder [loan to Bolton] , Ben Reeves [loan to Southend]

WIGAN

Ins: Joel Robles [loan from Atletico Madrid], Roger Espinoza [free from Sporting Kansas City], Angelo Henriquez [loan from Manchester United] , Paul Scharner [loan from Hamburg]

Outs: Rob Kiernan [loan to Brentford] , Mauro Boselli [loan to Palermo]

Now if you rationally analysed that you would have to say that most of the in''s set out above are "gambles".  None of them have a recent track history of achievement in this league.  Even where teams have bought quantity, the chances of them all performing miracles is pretty slim.  Just where is the proven relegation fighting quality in any of the above.  The more I look the more confident I am that there is nothing in the above to be fearful of in terms of them changing the fortunes of their clubs.

Thanks Sheff. Although that doesn''t list them all.

I''m neither happy or unhappy with our transfer window. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating is the phrase that springs to mind. But to those who believe our business last month has sent us hurtling towards relegation I can only suggest that using the same logic there are clubs below us now who will be hurtling faster than us.

However I''m not an expert. I don''t run my own business. I can''t play football manager. So I''m probably very wrong.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Thanks Sheff. Although that doesn''t list them all.

I''m neither happy or unhappy with our transfer window. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating is the phrase that springs to mind. But to those who believe our business last month has sent us hurtling towards relegation I can only suggest that using the same logic there are clubs below us now who will be hurtling faster than us.

However I''m not an expert. I don''t run my own business. I can''t play football manager. So I''m probably very wrong.

[/quote]Great post and one I agree with entirely. I''d argue that Becchio is as good (if not better) than Morison but then I dont know anything about Kamara. It is important we give the new lads a chance. They lads needed a hand (to quote a former manager of  ours...) and we''ve given them some help.