Sign in to follow this  
DanielHammond

Wiz was right

[quote user="DanielHammond"]This is what wiz said a week or two ago:

''We never really intended getting Graham or Hooper imo, we bid low knowing either bid would not be accepted, but hey, it keep the desperate City fans quiet for the month.........note, our offers haven''t been increased!

IF, and its a ruddy big if, we sign anyone, they''ll be a cheap ''no mark'' player who won''t improve our side one little bit.............come on down Lee Camp, followed by a CMS type soon.''

And I hate to say it he was right!![/quote]  
Erm no.  To say we didn''t intend to get Hooper is, quite frankly bull5h1t.  The offers WERE increased, 3 times. And Becchio is certainly not a cheap no mark player.  He is quite obviously, at this time, better than Morison, therefore he has improved the squad, plus Kamara.
How does this make Wiz right??  Seems to me that he was wrong on all counts.

James Nursey has said "were Celtic playing games with Norwich?" over this.  To repeatedly, and I beleive it was FOUR bids in the end, go back to Celtic then Celtic must have indicated that there was potential of a sale.  I also think that the loan bid for Doyle backs this up.  Indeed as I understand it a complicated three way transaction was in place, the prime movers being McNally and his team - Simeon to Wolves to replace Doyle who''d move to Celtic to replace Hooper who moves to Norwich to replace Simeon.  It all rested on the price for Hooper, which was down to Celtic to accept.  In the end they didn''t and part of this may have been down to them expecting another club would enter the auction - which obviously did not happen and thus supports our management''s view that the Celtic asking price was too big a risk if none of the big boys were interested. 

Sometimes I wish Wiz did actually support the Binners or somesuch.  He certainly appears to not want to support Norwich!

[quote user="shefcanary"]

James Nursey has said "were Celtic playing games with Norwich?" over this.  To repeatedly, and I beleive it was FOUR bids in the end, go back to Celtic then Celtic must have indicated that there was potential of a sale.  I also think that the loan bid for Doyle backs this up.  Indeed as I understand it a complicated three way transaction was in place, the prime movers being McNally and his team - Simeon to Wolves to replace Doyle who''d move to Celtic to replace Hooper who moves to Norwich to replace Simeon.  It all rested on the price for Hooper, which was down to Celtic to accept.  In the end they didn''t and part of this may have been down to them expecting another club would enter the auction - which obviously did not happen and thus supports our management''s view that the Celtic asking price was too big a risk if none of the big boys were interested. 

Sometimes I wish Wiz did actually support the Binners or somesuch.  He certainly appears to not want to support Norwich!

[/quote]

Why?.....because I have a different point of view to you ...........I''m just as proud of our team as you.............but not the management and owners.

[quote user="shefcanary"]

[/quote]

Good point.  I think this is always the risk in January - the selling team doesn''t really need or want to sell so they are looking to engineer a high price.

Of course, if we splashed out on Hooper, he gets injured next week and is out for the season, and we end up relegated and in financial trouble, I think I know which posters would be complaining about the Board ...

[quote user="Wiz"]I''m just as proud of our team as you.............but not the management and owners.[/quote]Do you mean the management and owners who bought the team in the first place and pay their wages?

Wiz, in a nutshell, frankly yes!  You let personality get in the way of rational thought.  Did Delia turn you down once when you asked her out on one of your trips out of Lowestoft when you were younger?

Regardless of the ins and outs and why''s and wherefore''s, we did exactly what Wiz had forecast. We signed nobody of note.I as far as I can tell it''s a pretty much neutral transfer window. Becchio / Moro, like for like and Kamara, could be anything or nothing. McNally stated at the AGM that the January transfer window would be used to strengthen the squad. Anyone arguing that we are stronger now than we were on December 31st is skating on pretty thin ice in my opinion.Wiz, discounting any conspiracy theories there is no doubting that you have been proved right.

[quote user="ricardo"]Regardless of the ins and outs and why''s and wherefore''s, we did exactly what Wiz had forecast. We signed nobody of note.I as far as I can tell it''s a pretty much neutral transfer window. Becchio / Moro, like for like and Kamara, could be anything or nothing. McNally stated at the AGM that the January transfer window would be used to strengthen the squad. Anyone arguing that we are stronger now than we were on December 31st is skating on pretty thin ice in my opinion.Wiz, discounting any conspiracy theories there is no doubting that you have been proved right.[/quote]

spot on summary.

"Wiz, discounting any conspiracy theories there is no doubting that you have been proved right."

And if I toss a coin and call "Heads"?

Ricardo, Ricky read it again and tell us that you honestly think Wiz is right ."''We never really intended getting Graham or Hooper imo, we bid low

knowing either bid would not be accepted
, but hey, it keep the desperate

City fans quiet for the month"

Guessing that we wouldn''t get a marquee striker signed up is simple science some you win some you lose but Wiz predicted that we would deliberately bid below value for no other reason than to generate some publicity to keep us fans quiet and I just don''t believe that to be the case, do you?

[quote user="ricardo"]Regardless of the ins and outs and why''s and wherefore''s, we did exactly what Wiz had forecast. We signed nobody of note.I as far as I can tell it''s a pretty much neutral transfer window. Becchio / Moro, like for like and Kamara, could be anything or nothing. McNally stated at the AGM that the January transfer window would be used to strengthen the squad. Anyone arguing that we are stronger now than we were on December 31st is skating on pretty thin ice in my opinion.Wiz, discounting any conspiracy theories there is no doubting that you have been proved right.[/quote]

Sorry Ricardo but I have to disagree with you. I think we are stronger.

If we were swapping the hungry morison that we signed last year then I would agree that it is a like for like swap but we are not,

I am sure you would agree Morison is nowhere near, and I mean nowhere near the same player that started the season for us last season. He was up front on his own making a proper nuisance of himself, hassleing defenders and most importantly he was getting goals. He just didn''t look like scoring of late.

In Becchio we are getting another hungry player that will come in and be another neisance like Morison. I am going to stick my neck out and say Becchio will get at least 7 goals before the end of the season. He loves scoring goals, he has scored only three less than Austin this season

[quote user="Zak Burger"]Ricardo, Ricky read it again and tell us that you honestly think Wiz is right ."''We never really intended getting Graham or Hooper imo, we bid low

knowing either bid would not be accepted
, but hey, it keep the desperate

City fans quiet for the month"

Guessing that we wouldn''t get a marquee striker signed up is simple science some you win some you lose but Wiz predicted that we would deliberately bid below value for no other reason than to generate some publicity to keep us fans quiet and I just don''t believe that to be the case, do you?

[/quote]I think I made myself very clear. I said REGARDLESS OF CONSPIRACY THEORIES Wiz has been proved right.Nobody will ever know whether serious bids were lodged but the fact remains that Wiz said we would sign nobody of note.We didn''t.

[quote user="DanielHammond"]This is what wiz said a week or two ago:

''We never really intended getting Graham or Hooper imo, we bid low knowing either bid would not be accepted, but hey, it keep the desperate City fans quiet for the month.........note, our offers haven''t been increased!

IF, and its a ruddy big if, we sign anyone, they''ll be a cheap ''no mark'' player who won''t improve our side one little bit.............come on down Lee Camp, followed by a CMS type soon.''

And I hate to say it he was right!![/quote]

He''s not right though. By all accounts we didn''t offer paltry sums to Swansea or Celtic for Graham and Hooper.

Interestingly did anyone see that the bid for Graham had been rejected (it may have been but I can''t recall it)? If not then that would suggest our bid for him had been accepted but perhaps he was wanting to talk to Sunderland first due to wanting to move back closer to home.

To say that we put in low bids for Hooper - ask Celtic. The first bid was £5million and confirmed by them. The second was more but not £6million. Then there were third and fourth offers of more money. So again proves Wiz WRONG.

Then we get to Kamara, Camp and Becchio.

Kamara is a loan so we didn''t haven''t bought him. I suppose you could consider him a cheap acquisition. However that said and done Holt and Hoolahan could be classed as cheap, Tettey at £800k looks to have been an absolute bargain. Supposedly we are yet to have broken the transfer record which stands at £3.5million for R.Bennett - which suggests to me that if we signed Bassong for the rumoured £2-3million he was also an utter bargain. It''s worth mentioning that Ruddy didn''t cost much either. Oh and Snodgrass was what? £1.5million? Johnson a free.

Onto Becchio then. We gave them Morison and £200k for him. To me that suggests we are talking about the players being valued in the millions. There is no way that Becchio with 18months on his contract was worth less than £1million considering his consistent championship scoring record.

Cheap compared to paying out £8million plus for Hooper if the rumoured value of our last bid is accurate.

Also Becchio and Camp almost certainly have improved our squad. So WRONG again.

So an all accounts, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Which isn''t that surprising to most considering it his ''we''re perennially doomed'' Wiz.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="DanielHammond"]This is what wiz said a week or two ago: ''We never really intended getting Graham or Hooper imo, we bid low knowing either bid would not be accepted, but hey, it keep the desperate City fans quiet for the month.........note, our offers haven''t been increased! IF, and its a ruddy big if, we sign anyone, they''ll be a cheap ''no mark'' player who won''t improve our side one little bit.............come on down Lee Camp, followed by a CMS type soon.'' And I hate to say it he was right!![/quote] He''s not right though. By all accounts we didn''t offer paltry sums to Swansea or Celtic for Graham and Hooper. Interestingly did anyone see that the bid for Graham had been rejected (it may have been but I can''t recall it)? If not then that would suggest our bid for him had been accepted but perhaps he was wanting to talk to Sunderland first due to wanting to move back closer to home. To say that we put in low bids for Hooper - ask Celtic. The first bid was £5million and confirmed by them. The second was more but not £6million. Then there were third and fourth offers of more money. So again proves Wiz WRONG. Then we get to Kamara, Camp and Becchio. Kamara is a loan so we didn''t haven''t bought him. I suppose you could consider him a cheap acquisition. However that said and done Holt and Hoolahan could be classed as cheap, Tettey at £800k looks to have been an absolute bargain. Supposedly we are yet to have broken the transfer record which stands at £3.5million for R.Bennett - which suggests to me that if we signed Bassong for the rumoured £2-3million he was also an utter bargain. It''s worth mentioning that Ruddy didn''t cost much either. Oh and Snodgrass was what? £1.5million? Johnson a free. Onto Becchio then. We gave them Morison and £200k for him. To me that suggests we are talking about the players being valued in the millions. There is no way that Becchio with 18months on his contract was worth less than £1million considering his consistent championship scoring record. Cheap compared to paying out £8million plus for Hooper if the rumoured value of our last bid is accurate. Also Becchio and Camp almost certainly have improved our squad. So WRONG again. So an all accounts, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Which isn''t that surprising to most considering it his ''we''re perennially doomed'' Wiz.[/quote]

Thats not fact chicken, thats just your opinion.............and a dodgy one at that...........here IS a fact though, we signed no one of note.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="DanielHammond"]This is what wiz said a week or two ago: ''We never really intended getting Graham or Hooper imo, we bid low knowing either bid would not be accepted, but hey, it keep the desperate City fans quiet for the month.........note, our offers haven''t been increased! IF, and its a ruddy big if, we sign anyone, they''ll be a cheap ''no mark'' player who won''t improve our side one little bit.............come on down Lee Camp, followed by a CMS type soon.'' And I hate to say it he was right!![/quote] He''s not right though. By all accounts we didn''t offer paltry sums to Swansea or Celtic for Graham and Hooper. Interestingly did anyone see that the bid for Graham had been rejected (it may have been but I can''t recall it)? If not then that would suggest our bid for him had been accepted but perhaps he was wanting to talk to Sunderland first due to wanting to move back closer to home. To say that we put in low bids for Hooper - ask Celtic. The first bid was £5million and confirmed by them. The second was more but not £6million. Then there were third and fourth offers of more money. So again proves Wiz WRONG. Then we get to Kamara, Camp and Becchio. Kamara is a loan so we didn''t haven''t bought him. I suppose you could consider him a cheap acquisition. However that said and done Holt and Hoolahan could be classed as cheap, Tettey at £800k looks to have been an absolute bargain. Supposedly we are yet to have broken the transfer record which stands at £3.5million for R.Bennett - which suggests to me that if we signed Bassong for the rumoured £2-3million he was also an utter bargain. It''s worth mentioning that Ruddy didn''t cost much either. Oh and Snodgrass was what? £1.5million? Johnson a free. Onto Becchio then. We gave them Morison and £200k for him. To me that suggests we are talking about the players being valued in the millions. There is no way that Becchio with 18months on his contract was worth less than £1million considering his consistent championship scoring record. Cheap compared to paying out £8million plus for Hooper if the rumoured value of our last bid is accurate. Also Becchio and Camp almost certainly have improved our squad. So WRONG again. So an all accounts, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Which isn''t that surprising to most considering it his ''we''re perennially doomed'' Wiz.[/quote]

Thats not fact chicken, thats just your opinion.............and a dodgy one at that...........here IS a fact though, we signed no one of note.

[/quote]

That''s not a fact Wiz, that''s just your opinion.... and a dodgy one at that.... here IS a fact though, time will tell if we''ve signed anyone of note.

Watching a bit of SSN this afternoon, several Premiership managers admitted that they were unable to sign players they wanted....David Moyes worked hard all day but only signed one youngster, ''Arry wanted Odemwingie & Crouch but got neither, McDermott wanted Sigurdsson & Ince and got neither, AVB didn''t get the striker he wanted, Man City brought nobody in to replace Balotelli, Swansea didn''t replace Graham. The list goes on.

I suppose they all did things ''on the cheap'' and ''lack ambition'' too? Just goes to show how difficult it is to get players in during January.

Wiz - I''ll give you a fact for you if that is what you want.

We have signed a Championship striker who''s goal tally this season is 19 goals in 31 appearances. That is two goals in every three games. If that doesn''t impress you its not his, Hughton or big Dave''s fault. But then it isn''t the first time you haven''t let the facts get in the way of your opinions is it?

Camp is a vastly experienced keeper with international experience and still is relatively young. Again he is on loan as back up/competition whilst a) Ruddy is injured and b) Rudd goes out and gets the much needed experience he needs. Maybe not astonishing but then we don''t need another Ruddy.

So what are your facts then Wiz? What about what would have been transfer reccord smashing bids for Graham, Hooper and Wolfswinkle Wiz?

Nope, them facts not be good enough for you.

You see whilst I indeed have an opinion, at least mine is informed and based upon facts - not trapped wind.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote]Which multi million pound strikers of note were definitely available then Wiz?  and...Which Premiership teams didn''t try to do it on the cheap and spent millions of pounds on one of these available strikers of note?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]And Lennon said our offer was quite substantial.[/quote]

He would say that impresses the Celtic hoardes, we did not match their valuation, bottom line.