Sign in to follow this  
MisterCarrow

David Cotterill

We nearly went crazy once and paid 2 million for him. I seem to remember everyone went hysterical because we didn''t pull it off. Where is he now! I think we''ve dodged a bullet with Hooper and will be able to get better value for money in the summer.

I''m failing to see your point completely to be honest, as he subsequently became a squad player for Wigan in the Premier League, and then did alright in a Sheffield United team which had a chance of promotion. In that period, 2006 to 2009, we spent three years becoming progressively worse and being treated to players like Mark Fotheringham, Carl Robinson, and David Carney in our team.

After our inevitable eventual relegation came we were playing in League One being carried by a few very good players who were extremely fortunate to have, such as Holt and Hoolahan.... who to a large degree still carry us now.... Cotterill - who you are making out to be an awful player - played a fair bit of football, initially on loan and then as a permanent transfer, for a Swansea team who finished 7th in the Championship just one point behind the play-offs.

He struggled to get into the Swansea team the next season, in which they won promotion from the Championship, probably due to form and ability of two top quality wingers in Scott Sinclair and Nathan Dyer..... both of whom are still playing Premier League football now and shown themselves to be genuine Premier League quality.

He is now at Doncaster Rovers in League One where he has been their best player this season in their quest for promotion back to the Championship with 10 goals in 26 games from the wing, helping them to joint top in the table (second on goal difference), with more points than Norwich had at this stage in our own League One season, and is the subject to the interest of numerous Championship teams including rejected bids from Wolves.

We currently own three very good wide players in Pilkington, Bennett, and Snodgrass, who have all played in League One in recent seasons.... two of whom we signed from League One, all of whom scored a lot of goals in League One.

Snodgrass, Pilkington, and Bennett all showed themselves as too good for League One and ended up moving up the leagues..... now 25 (yes, just 25) year old David Cotterill is doing the same and with some style. Several of his goals have been 30 yard strikes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut4-9h0VkvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yp_FS7dO_4

So to answer your question "Where is he now", the answer is showing himself to be far too good for League One and looking like a player who with regular first team football looks like he may finally fulfill is undoubted potential like so many late bloomers.... (SEE: Hoolahan, Holt, Lambert).

After missing out on Cotterill in 2006.... we were in League One before him.

Omar Koroma, on the other hand, got sent off on his Forest Green Rovers debut and has gone on to score 0 goals in 13 games (he doesn''t often make the pitch).

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]I''m failing to see your point completely to be honest, as he subsequently became a squad player for Wigan in the Premier League, and then did alright in a Sheffield United team which had a chance of promotion. In that period, 2006 to 2009, we spent three years becoming progressively worse and being treated to players like Mark Fotheringham, Carl Robinson, and David Carney in our team.

After our inevitable eventual relegation came we were playing in League One being carried by a few very good players who were extremely fortunate to have, such as Holt and Hoolahan.... who to a large degree still carry us now.... Cotterill - who you are making out to be an awful player - played a fair bit of football, initially on loan and then as a permanent transfer, for a Swansea team who finished 7th in the Championship just one point behind the play-offs.

He struggled to get into the Swansea team the next season, in which they won promotion from the Championship, probably due to form and ability of two top quality wingers in Scott Sinclair and Nathan Dyer..... both of whom are still playing Premier League football now and shown themselves to be genuine Premier League quality.

He is now at Doncaster Rovers in League One where he has been their best player this season in their quest for promotion back to the Championship with 10 goals in 26 games from the wing, helping them to joint top in the table (second on goal difference), with more points than Norwich had at this stage in our own League One season, and is the subject to the interest of numerous Championship teams including rejected bids from Wolves.

We currently own three very good wide players in Pilkington, Bennett, and Snodgrass, who have all played in League One in recent seasons.... two of whom we signed from League One, all of whom scored a lot of goals in League One.

Snodgrass, Pilkington, and Bennett all showed themselves as too good for League One and ended up moving up the leagues..... now 25 (yes, just 25) year old David Cotterill is doing the same and with some style. Several of his goals have been 30 yard strikes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut4-9h0VkvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yp_FS7dO_4

So to answer your question "Where is he now", the answer is showing himself to be far too good for League One and looking like a player who with regular first team football looks like he may finally fulfill is undoubted potential like so many late bloomers.... (SEE: Hoolahan, Holt, Lambert).

After missing out on Cotterill in 2006.... we were in League One before him.

Omar Koroma, on the other hand, got sent off on his Forest Green Rovers debut and has gone on to score 0 goals in 13 games (he doesn''t often make the pitch).[/quote]And that is how you get ''pwned'' on internet message boards, kids.Glad I wasn''t on the receiving end of this comprehensive (and apparently immaculately researched) vent!

Sorry that isn''t ''pwned'' it''s a load of tosh.

The original post didn''t say he was crap - just that he wasn''t worth £2million.

All the last chap has done is disagree and then provided more evidence.

Wigan - a team that is traditionally seen as a struggling premiership team. And he was a ''useful squad player'' - couldn''t people say that about Leon Barnett? Simon Lappin last season? Doesn''t make them worth £2million. He didn''t make the grade.

I agree with the original poster. I don''t think Hooper or Wolfswinkle are worth £10million plus to us. £10million is perhaps a worthwhile gamble to a top six team who may think that they are just the player to fire them that bit further up the table but then only Spurs - who later denied it - we linked to either of them.

Infact imagine being them at the moment - they have had to recall Kane due to being short in numbers upfront . . .

He played in the League Cup game. You know, the one which most of you didn''t go to. He was completely anonymous. Useless. Wigan did us a massive favour.

I should probably just add that whilst I was pointing out that David Cotterill looks like he is going to fulfill his potential and become a £4m+ player, I do actually agree that £10m is too much for us to spend on a striker. I just thought that using Cotterill was a bad example because he I''ve seen him three or four times this year and he is as good as Snodgrass was in League One. Somebody will pay good money for him in the next year or two, I''d bet my house on it.

Hooper is a summer transfer I think, £7m absolute maximum. If Danny Graham is worth £5m then Hooper is worth a little more based on being 2 and a half years younger.

January prices do seem ridiculous. As soon as Celtic are out of the Champions League they will be on the phone offering him to us for £6m in the summer can guarantee it.

They are pretty much guaranteed to win the SPL every year for the next four or five years.....and they are losing a lot of money from old firm derbies.... they don''t need him for any reason other than the CL.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]He played in the League Cup game. You know, the one which most of you didn''t go to. He was completely anonymous. Useless. Wigan did us a massive favour.[/quote]

He had a shot well saved by Bunn in the first half, fired another shot narrowly wide on the counter attack, and almost equalised in the last minute. Doncaster played pretty well against us.

People seriously need to wake up.

At the point we were going to sign Cotterill he was not worth £2million. That is what the original poster was saying. Not that he may yet become worth £2million.

The reality is that it has taken him 7 years and playing for 6 different teams to apparently start to look worth that according to one poster who has seen him play three or four times this season.

Sorry but that doesn''t wash with me. I am with the original poster, I think we may well have been lucky not to get him this window - not for the price they were demanding. And I remember at the time thinking that £2million for a player that would have done what? Helped us? At 18 or whatever he was then it was not the player we needed.

Hooper is a different gamble in that respect but not worth £8million or more. As others have said, £4-6million more likely.

Yes and the person who has told you that Cotterill is a good player has agreed that the price for Hooper was too high, so what is your point?

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Yes and the person who has told you that Cotterill is a good player has agreed that the price for Hooper was too high, so what is your point?[/quote]

Point is no one was owned and despite saying you disagreed with the original poster you have in fact agreed with them and given proof as to why they are right. That is all.

No, I told him that Cotterill is class, and I agreed that Hooper would have cost too much. Neither did I attempt to ''own'' anybody, or agreed that I had ''owned'' them, I also have absolutely no idea why the term ''owned'' has become popular in the modern era because it makes me think of BDSM or African slavery. I have absolutely no desire to ''own'' a fellow human being, if that makes anybody feel better, I''m happy owning my dog and my cat.

Is well worth pointing out that this thread had zero responses and was right at the bottom of the first page when I picked it up and gave it some light.... three hours after it was posted.

So ''ownage'' or ''no ownage'', the thread didn''t exactly get anywhere without me did it? Funny how some choose to come and agree with it now.....

If you look carefully I responded not to you but to the poster who used ''pwned''.

I disagree with some of your points because they actually have little relevance to the original post in that they were referring to when we bid £2million for him.

All you have suggested that on his current form - seven years later, he might be worth that or more come next season - perhaps. I won''t go all out and say that isn''t going to happen as in footy anything can happen, but one good season in League One a good player doth not make.

Jamie Cureton is a possible example of a player with a good record in the lower leagues but unable to follow this up at a higher level.

Fair enough, not looking for petty squabbles etc.

On the subject of Jamie Cureton, he has 16 goals in 24 games this year.... what a legend. He is, by all accounts that I''ve heard, a really nice guy.

So as ''lacking'' as he was for us, I''m glad he has gone on to have some happier times.