Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

How many on here actually run their own business?

[quote user="ricky knight"]yea i have run my own businesses for over 40 years and yea its not easy but in that time on have had many occasions where i have had to speculate to accumulate. Nobody on here is asking City to go crazy just get real and buy a bit of class to help the squad we have.All we get is Leeds, Pompey comparisons not even in the same league imo, Pompey for sure have had some dodgy owners which somehow passed FA and league regulations and had our dear fiend Arry who spent 100 mill to win the FA cup, not one person on here is asking City to be that stupid.[/quote]

That''s fair comment Ricky, but in your business were you gambling your own money, and if it all went pear shaped would other people suffer as a result? Abramovic can gamble, if it goes wrong he just throws more money at it. DM gambles, if it goes wrong then suddenly other people are affected and we have to compare to Portsmouth as an example - we are that kind of club, and we have creditors who need to be paid etc...a failed gamble can have disasterous effects not just for the club but for the community (just look down the A40 at what happened to some of the local businesses there).

A director, chief exec has a duty by law to operate in a responsible manner - I agree football is a bit of a law unto itself, but I do like the fact that we uphold this responsibility and actually makes us a better club as a result.

Yep,have run my own business with a fellow director for over 25 years. It has an effect on political persuasion and my reaction to some of the contributions on this board.

I dont'' have my own business and am totally useless with money - should never be allowed near the stuff or let out on my own - but I am quite happy with the way DM runs things and am more than relieved that we did''nt pay out close on £10m on what would have been a huge gamble and possibly a disastrous signing.

[quote user="Notts Canary"][quote user="crabbycanary"]

I am particularly interested to find out how many people on here, who have been moaning about McNally etc, actually run their own business, and have an understanding on how the dynamics of a successful business are run?

Serious question, take the rip if you want, but I am also interested to see if the moaners can back their case with something substansive, that NCFC could take on board and move onwards and upwards.

[/quote]
Neither are they premier league footballers, managers, coaches and referees...
It''s a forum for god sake, a place where people share their opinion, debate and have a bit of banter, whether anyone is qualified to comment is completely redundant, we may not always agree but we all love Norwich at the end of the day and if we can behave and keep a civil tongue then what does it matter if they run a business?
It works in reverse as well you know, what right does anyone have to say everything is being run and managed brilliantly?

[/quote]

For crying out loud. It is not a trick question, I am not trying to put people into a corner or catch them out. It IS a forum, and I am just asking a  question about something that interests me. You are having a go because I want ''to comment'' on something, and I have kept a civil tongue? Bizarre don''t you think? I haven''t even got into the ''debate'' or ''opinion'' or even ''banter'' you mention. You are having a dig, at me, who has met the criteria you lay out. There is a word for that...........

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

For crying out loud. It is not a trick question, I am not trying to put people into a corner or catch them out. It IS a forum, and I am just asking a  question about something that interests me. You are having a go because I want ''to comment'' on something, and I have kept a civil tongue? Bizarre don''t you think? I haven''t even got into the ''debate'' or ''opinion'' or even ''banter'' you mention. You are having a dig, at me, who has met the criteria you lay out. There is a word for that...........

[/quote]
Hmfp.. I have a hard time believing it''s no trick question, it looks and sounds like a baited question...
I never said you didn''t have a civil tongue and I wasn''t accusing you of any such thing, I was merely saying that there are some restriction to what we can or should say (e.g. libel/threats/insults etc)
I had a dig because you had a dig, I''m sorry if I offended you but the question felt like it was designed to merely to suggest peoples opinions were invalid because they weren''t all CEOs [:)]

I''m retired now and the only thing "The Boss" allows me to run on my own is the cold water tap.

And even then she checks that I have turned it off.[:D]

What a stupid premise I run my own business within a large group of companies but as has been said before the concept of budgeting should not be seen as alien to anyone who can actually afford a season ticket.

If there are a minority of people who think that we should have signed Hooper at any cost they are idiots regardless of whether they run businesses or not.

I am really not sure what is more annoying people slating the board for not buying a player that was never available or a bunch of sheep enjoying the grass without an opinion amongst them.

I have always had complete faith Mcnally and co but the last 2 transfer windows have started me worrying that there is something not quite right.

Everybody knew we needed another striker especially after Wilbraham and Vaughan were shipped out we had all summer and get nothing except Harry Kane at the last minute.

We should have had the great and the good of medium sized clubs strikers throughout the word breaking down our door to play in the Premiership for much less than Hooper who would have always been high risk.

Having a target of a player that clearly isnt for sale and no plan B doesn''t strike me as good business.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I run my own business (although its just me). I''m suspect, however, there are very few of us who own businesses where some third party gives us £45m a year for providing no direct service and where that same third party has promised to up that money to £70m next year just for maintaining the same level of service. If they had i suspect most of us would be doing absolutely everything in our power to ensure we maintain that same level of service, including poaching staff where necessary![/quote]

Yes I do ..and I agree with Jim... I think a dreadful amount of complacentcy has been shown  by NCFC is failing to mke any significant effort to strengthen the squad .

"I''m retired now and the only thing "The Boss" allows me to run on my own is the cold water tap.

And even then she checks that I have turned it off."

Ricardo, do you find you keep forgetting to take things with you? It takes me at least three attempts to leave the house whenever I go anywhere.

And I keep going back to check if I''ve left the gas on.

Which is odd, because there''s no gas in the village.

Age is a terrible thing.

[quote user="ron obvious"]"I''m retired now and the only thing "The Boss" allows me to run on my own is the cold water tap. And even then she checks that I have turned it off." Ricardo, do you find you keep forgetting to take things with you? It takes me at least three attempts to leave the house whenever I go anywhere. And I keep going back to check if I''ve left the gas on. Which is odd, because there''s no gas in the village. Age is a terrible thing.[/quote]

No, no Ron. I know you don''t mean that but are simply exchanging light-hearted conversation. Age is a wonderful thing. I am priviliged to have reached the age of forgetfulness.....many are cheated far too early.

I own a portfolio of international companies in 18 languages, selling into around 40 countries. I started with nothing 8 years ago at c30 and haven''t taken a penny from banks or anyone else. I am ruthless on costs and am continually surprised how hugely expensive it is just running a company and doing it right. If you don''t have recourse to external funds, run the business with a conscience and a sense of pride in what you do then continually competing effectively is a great achievement. There is no great accolade for just keeping on keeping on for the long term but in truth this represents great success. Norwich are run as a community based entity, with responsibility and a sense of place and purpose. We are lucky to have it.

[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]

Binner!

[/quote]

Mungo, very boring now. Need to find a new trick maybe?

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

I am particularly interested to find out how many people on here, who have been moaning about McNally etc, actually run their own business, and have an understanding on how the dynamics of a successful business are run?

Serious question, take the rip if you want, but I am also interested to see if the moaners can back their case with something substansive, that NCFC could take on board and move onwards and upwards.

[/quote]

I have my own business. But I appreciate McNallly and what an asset he is to Norwich.