Sign in to follow this  
Swollen ankles

If we had the majority of you in charge

HoltsDerbyDayHattrick wrote the following post at 02/02/2013 2:00 PM:

Got to agree we would have debts up to our eyeballs.

Errrrr, aren''t we in the process of paying off the remnants of an 11 million pound debt this season, accrued over the last several years before McNally was brought in, and who in fact renegotiated the bank loan to enable the club to survive?

Who was to blame for that scenario - certainly not the supporters!

I suspect the same financial experts who advocated putting money we haven''t budgeted on the january transfer roulette wheel would be the first to beat their wives upon learning she''d blown the rent and the housekeeping down the bingo.

Yep, no point gambling with the long term future of the club by spending more than we can afford. Our worst case scenario now is getting relegated with very large parachute payments to come as well as a battlechest saved from the current campaign.

If we''d paid over the odds for Hooper etc our worst case would still be getting relegated, but also having to sell our best players to try and stabilize our finances.

[quote user="Zak Burger"]I suspect the same financial experts who advocated putting money we haven''t budgeted on the january transfer roulette wheel would be the first to beat their wives upon learning she''d blown the rent and the housekeeping down the bingo.

[/quote]

You will find all sorts of opinions on a message-board, but I don''t think anything like the majority of posters here suggested spending money this January that hadn''t been budgeted for. A  very few at most. The argument is not whether we should have spent money we didn''t have, but over the fact that we hardly spent any of the money the board had budgeted for by making available for spending.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Zak Burger"]I suspect the same financial experts who advocated putting money we haven''t budgeted on the january transfer roulette wheel would be the first to beat their wives upon learning she''d blown the rent and the housekeeping down the bingo.

[/quote]

You will find all sorts of opinions on a message-board, but I don''t think anything like the majority of posters here suggested spending money this January that hadn''t been budgeted for. A  very few at most. The argument is not whether we should have spent money we didn''t have, but over the fact that we hardly spent any of the money the board had budgeted for by making available for spending.

[/quote]there''s a double argument forming here, if we had budgeted £x and for example Hooper would have cost £x + £y should we have 1) Found £y that we hadn''t budgeted for or 2) Ignored Hooper and spent £x on "any" other available  players aka planB?The screaming albeit tiny horde wanted solution 1, others wanted solution 2 and took the failure of the club to implement this solution to mean that there was no Plan B for the jan window. I''m of the opinion that there were more than two options available to the club.

We''re all closet qualified Football Refs, major business/company Chief Execs, Government Ministers, High Court Judges, ex Professional Footballers, Oxford Graduates, Millionaire tycoons, Top chefs, Accountants, Male/Female Models, Sex icons and Formula one drivers etc, etc, etc....

Me?......I''m just a lawnmower......you can tell me by the way I walk......