Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Can somebody explain todays substitution?

Hoolahan off, Becchio on and what did Hughton do? Put Becchio up top on his own with Holt in front of the defence!!! A strange decision to say the least!

What are you on about? I specifically remember Holt being in the QPR 6 yard box when Becchio took a tumble?

I think?

He got back and defended the set pieces and corners towards the end, if that''s what you mean?

there was a point where Becchio got the ball in the QPR half and Holt was on the edge of the box defending, and it wasnt a set piece for them either!!

i think you should probably be questioning why he made no change until the 86th minute whilst drawing against the team on the bottom of the table

A team who hadn''t lost in six games and had beaten Chelsea and drawn with Man City in that run, against a team with two points out of a possible twenty five?

At a very hostile away ground, where the fans hate us, and hate Johnson and Holt?

A point was one more than I expected. Why the f'' did I choose to support Norwich, half of our fans are utterly clueless mugs.

Technika why do you keep saying ''bottom of the league'' like that''s supposed to mean something?

QPR are on a better run of form than us and have just spent more on one defender than we had hoped to spend on two strikers. Harry is starting to piece together a team that hasnt lost in five and that includes games against Spurs and Citeh.

We were also away from home, where we have one only once this season. Only two teams in the league have conceded more away from home than us and only four teams have scored less than us.

Take the point and move on.

I think Hughton left todays substitutions a little late. That being said, I understand why he did. QPR were cranking up the pressure and their long-passes were starting to cause problems as they fell into dangerous areas. I think Hughton was concerned that a change in shape might effect the rather precarious defensive situation. I would''ve made a change around the 75th minute when we weren''t keeping the ball and just clearing our lines when possible. I think that Hoolahan was surplus to requirements at that point. Hoolahan is great when you''ve got the ball, and will press the opposition as high as anyone, but he''s not going to be able to win high clearances. At that point, you might as well bring Becchio on, as at least you have two men trying to hold up the long passes. 

they may not have lost in 5 but they hadnt scored at home in 5 hours either, all I was asking was why not have put Holt alongside Becchio or taken Holt off instead of Hoolahan?

So is a point better than a win for turning around the downwards free fall that we are in?

We are being dragged more and more into this scrap because of our poor form in front of goal.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Protecting a hard-earned point that may be crucial at the end of the season.It''s not all "Charge of the Light Brigade," you know.[/quote]Nope, but it is a squad game and when the opposition changes nearly a third of their outfield players (and how much distance does a premiership player cover in the course of a game?!) it is of no surprise when we constantly find ourselves on the back foot fighting a spirited reaguard action towards the end of games, because the opposition''s fresher legs and different ''questions'' being posed (ie 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2) are taking their toll.I''m as happy with Chris Hughton''s general improvement of NCFC, as I am supremely pi$$*d off at his substitution policy.

singupcarrowroad wrote the following post at 02/02/2013 7:21 PM:

A point was one more than I expected. Why the f'' did I choose to support Norwich, half of our fans are utterly clueless mugs.

And you know everything do you. People who post on this message board are entitled to their opinion. As Roeder said, ''Did we miss your tenure as England manager.''

If you don''t like what you read, see and here from supporters, go support someone else, you don''t have to support ncfc, you have a choice!

[quote user="walks on water"][quote user="Mister Chops"]Protecting a hard-earned point that may be crucial at the end of the season.It''s not all "Charge of the Light Brigade," you know.[/quote]Nope, but it is a squad game and when the opposition changes nearly a third of their outfield players (and how much distance does a premiership player cover in the course of a game?!) it is of no surprise when we constantly find ourselves on the back foot fighting a spirited reaguard action towards the end of games, because the opposition''s fresher legs and different ''questions'' being posed (ie 4-2-3-1 to 4-4-2) are taking their toll.I''m as happy with Chris Hughton''s general improvement of NCFC, as I am supremely pi$$*d off at his substitution policy.[/quote]I don''t see your point here, sorry.Wasn''t dropping Holt deep the answer to that change in formation from QPR?  We settled for a point with that substitution, and then we defended it.  I''m alright with that.

Hughton''s substitutions were late and cautious, to protect the point. Hard to argue, though, that stopping QPR winning and getting up some momentum ahead of a couple of tricky games for them was almost as important as not losing ourselves. Anyway, look at the substitutions of the master tactician Redknapp. Garrido (who has been ok so far this season) was having a nightmare, Wright Philips going past him at will. With over half an hour to go, the ref finally books Garrido for yet another foul on Wright Philips. Now Garrido has to face Wright Philips for the rest of the game, knowing he hasn''t stopped him once legally, and he can''t risk another card. So what does Harry do? Take Wright Philips off immediately. Go figure.

Redknapp made the vital change in the game when he brought on Zamora and moved to a 4-4-2.  After that they had most of the play, and were unlucky to not score.  With the game opened up we had a couple of chances.  Becchio coming on in the 87th minute was pretty pointless really.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]A team who hadn''t lost in six games and had beaten Chelsea and drawn with Man City in that run, against a team with two points out of a possible twenty five?

At a very hostile away ground, where the fans hate us, and hate Johnson and Holt?

A point was one more than I expected. Why the f'' did I choose to support Norwich, half of our fans are utterly clueless mugs.[/quote]

Spot on.

[quote user="City 2nd"]singupcarrowroad wrote the following post at 02/02/2013 7:21 PM:

And you know everything do you. People who post on this message board are entitled to their opinion. As Roeder said, ''Did we miss your tenure as England manager.''

If you don''t like what you read, see and here from supporters, go support someone else, you don''t have to support ncfc, you have a choice![/quote]

[quote user="City 2nd"]singupcarrowroad wrote the following post at 02/02/2013 7:21 PM:

If you don''t like what you read, see and here from supporters, go support someone else, you don''t have to support ncfc, you have a choice![/quote]

Of course I don''t have a f''in choice, I''ve supported Norwich since I was 5, I''m a big hairy grown man. I don''t have any problem supporting my team, it''s people like

I just watched an excellent game of football, 100% effort, an impressive point against the in-form team of the league who are 3 games away from our "second best to Barcelona" record....

And all I can see is people saying:

1) Holt was rubbish

2) Johnson was rubbish

3) Garrido was terrible

4) When are we going to try and win a game

It''s f''in ridiculous. If people think that we were rubbish today then maybe they should go and read the QPR forum where they are saying quite the opposite.

Then we will decide whether the player bashers are right or I am right.

Some Norwich fans are just never happy, ever. I am a banana is not an f''in banana..... he''s a f''in c**t.

I''m not going to go and support another team because I am a banana and other such braindead neanderthals happen to be c**nts.

SUACR wrote:

Of course I don''t have a f''in choice, I''ve supported Norwich since I was 5, I''m a big hairy grown man. I don''t have any problem supporting my team, it''s people like

I just watched an excellent game of football, 100% effort, an impressive point against the in-form team of the league who are 3 games away from our "second best to Barcelona" record....

And all I can see is people saying:

1) Holt was rubbish

2) Johnson was rubbish

3) Garrido was terrible

4) When are we going to try and win a game

It''s f''in ridiculous. If people think that we were rubbish today then maybe they should go and read the QPR forum where they are saying quite the opposite.

Then we will decide whether the player bashers are right or I am right.

Some Norwich fans are just never happy, ever. I am a banana is not an f''in banana..... he''s a f''in c**t.

Do you remove your brain before you post. How dare other people. Have an opinion, yet alone post it, which is different from your. No doubt you are a hairy man! Grown up I doubt!. You are a complete and utter brainless rude socialite!

--- singupcarrowroad wrote the following post at 02/02/2013 3:44 PM:

--- A big old whinge.

People are free to comment on the games as they please.  I happen to agree today was not the greatest performance we have given.  Any point away from home is a good point.  Even against the team with the worst home record in the league.

As for the discussions about individual players. The game is all about opinions and people are free to express their opinion.  If you think norwich fans are in any way different to other teams fans you are sadly mistaken.

So, is it that CH feels we don''t have the requisite quality in reserve, that is preventing him from mixing our tictacs up from the bench?or,that in polar opposite contrast to PL, CH has thoroughly prepared Plan A only?...doesn''t believe in fortune favouring the brave, and so will react to the opposition''s tactics only when forced to?

Thoughts?

[quote user="walks on water"]So, is it that CH feels we don''t have the requisite quality in reserve, that is preventing him from mixing our tictacs up from the bench?or,that in polar opposite contrast to PL, CH has thoroughly prepared Plan A only?...doesn''t believe in fortune favouring the brave, and so will react to the opposition''s tactics only when forced to?

Thoughts?[/quote]I play quite a lot of chess, badly as it happens.Hughton strikes me as someone who wants to take the black pieces and move second - i.e. to react and counter rather than to get onto the front foot.I do believe his mindset is "don''t lose, then win" rather than "try to win" and this has a psychological effect throughout the squad.  It''s much healthier than Roeder''s "don''t make mistakes" philosophy which saw grown men afraid to try anything other than a ten yard square pass for fear of giving the ball away, but it does reflect our lack of attacking freedom and our somewhat mechanical play.I can see Hughton''s style working well in Serie A, but perhaps the Premiership - with its claim to be the most entertaining league in the world (note: not the "best" league in the world)  isn''t quite ready for him just yet and nor are our fans who still think we dropped two points today and were negative.  I am not one of these fans.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="walks on water"]So, is it that CH feels we don''t have the requisite quality in reserve, that is preventing him from mixing our tictacs up from the bench?or,that in polar opposite contrast to PL, CH has thoroughly prepared Plan A only?...doesn''t believe in fortune favouring the brave, and so will react to the opposition''s tactics only when forced to?

Thoughts?[/quote]I play quite a lot of chess, badly as it happens.Hughton strikes me as someone who wants to take the black pieces and move second - i.e. to react and counter rather than to get onto the front foot.I do believe his mindset is "don''t lose, then win" rather than "try to win" and this has a psychological effect throughout the squad.  It''s much healthier than Roeder''s "don''t make mistakes" philosophy which saw grown men afraid to try anything other than a ten yard square pass for fear of giving the ball away, but it does reflect our lack of attacking freedom and our somewhat mechanical play.I can see Hughton''s style working well in Serie A, but perhaps the Premiership - with its claim to be the most entertaining league in the world (note: not the "best" league in the world)  isn''t quite ready for him just yet and nor are our fans who still think we dropped two points today and were negative.  I am not one of these fans.

[/quote]Very interesting analogy Chops - one I''m inclined to agree with, but for the disparate rhythms of the two games ...and in footy, you can swap your pieces -before you get to the end (...of the board)

Simples, he wanted to use Holt''s strength in a more defensive role but have Becchio up front as he is well capable of breaking through on his own - it''s one of his strengths.