Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Todays other games - what it means to us

Well

Villa leading, wigan leading, reading with a good chance for 3 points at home vs Sunderland..

If all results go against us, which it looks like t the time of writing, we could find us 5 points off the drop zone.

Now you will see the implications of Hughtons "one point at the time" strategy.

Now, I dont think the bottom clubs will pick up points on a ery regular basis, but it is dangerous to rely on other teams shortcomings.

I doubt the results will all stay that way, but this does sort of show that the "at least we stopped QPR from taking 3 points" argument is a ridiculous one. There are three teams that go down, and we''ve only taken one point from the worst of any of those so far this season.

Yes it may have made things harder for QPR, but it''s also not particularly helped us against any of the other teams around us. Not a disaster for us (as a loss could well have been), but I''m surprised how many people seem fairly happy with the result.

Yep. Qpr are not the bigget threat to us atm.

Is Reading, Wigan, Villa, etc.

Very important for us that these teams dont pick up points

Exactly you have to look at the others around us, how they are playing, the off field implications (wolves,Bolton and Blackburn last season, villa and hopefully Southampton this season)

Yes it is in our own destiny but after two results where we can take confidence into our next game(s). We need some maximum points from these next four games, certainly with three games at home. Because these teams can sneak up and then when we play them they can take gain three points from us.

But Fulham and west ham are on the same points. Lets hope we can begin to pick up these points so that even though they pick up the odd few we can begin to drift away.

All we need to worry about are our own games and any point away from CR is a good one. Three more wins and we are home and dry and they will come more likely in our home games.QPR are a different proposition now compared with earlier in the season. I''m happy we don''t have to play them again whereas  Wigan, Reading, Villa ans Southampton do.A point today was a really good result.

If the results stay the same, we will be 5 points clear of 5 teams..

I might be worried if we were 5pts clear of 3 sides (i.e only 1 has to go on a run). But we asking 3 sides to go on decent runs.

We have 7 winnable games at home. That will be enough comfortably.

Also have to factor in when they play each other. Sure one or both are going to get points but both can''t get 3pts.

All of those sides have matches for the top6 and while one team might have a good run against them, 3 of the teams aren''t.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]As long as Hughton realises that to get 3 points from a ''winnable'' home game you actually need to attack, we''ll be fine.[/quote]

No, your right. We didn''t attack today, toothless, no forward play and sat with the ball in our own half too much.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]As long as Hughton realises that to get 3 points from a ''winnable'' home game you actually need to attack, we''ll be fine.[/quote]

No, your right. We didn''t attack today, toothless, no forward play and sat with the ball in our own half too much.[/quote]Poor finishing cost us, why keep the poor finisher on? and not bring another striker on to make are attack mean something?

If we was more focused on winning our own games rather than not losing them then we wouldn''t need to worry about what anyone else does.

I do not want Hughton but if we are to keep with him he need to stop being so negative. He is lucky to still have a job after the Luton game.

5 points now, with Reading again scoring late, and Villa winning.

It will be a nervous spring, with Hughtons negativity probably getting us in more trouble than we should.

His calculating manner makes the players look nervously over their shoulders

When will it finally begin to hit home that we''re sliding our of the league? A bit more quality up front and we might have beaten QPR. As it is we go into Fulham, a game I would have thought we should win looking as unlikely as ever to win another game.

[quote user="Baracouda"]If the results stay the same, we will be 5 points clear of 5 teams..

I might be worried if we were 5pts clear of 3 sides (i.e only 1 has to go on a run). But we asking 3 sides to go on decent runs.

Also have to factor in when they play each other. Sure one or both are going to get points but both can''t get 3pts.

All of those sides have matches for the top6 and while one team might have a good run against them, 3 of the teams aren''t.[/quote]
Do they come any more ''winnable'' than the bottom of the league? Ok, it was away, but still, no games are gimmes in this division. Just because we play some of the lower sides at home doesn''t mean we''re going to come away with 21 points comfortably.

we could have all the quality up front in the world but if you only play one up top and give him no support it wouldn''t matter who is up top.

[quote user="Aggy"][quote user="Baracouda"]If the results stay the same, we will be 5 points clear of 5 teams..

All of those sides have matches for the top6 and while one team might have a good run against them, 3 of the teams aren''t.[/quote]
Do they come any more ''winnable'' than the bottom of the league? Ok, it was away, but still, no games are gimmes in this division. Just because we play some of the lower sides at home doesn''t mean we''re going to come away with 21 points comfortably.
[/quote]
Football is played on a game by game basis, "just because" they are bottom doesn''t mean it is a sure thing it will be winnable. The fact that the games that are viewed as more winnable are at home puts the ball firmly in our court.

QPR have had good league results this year, so I think a point at their ground isn''t to be sniffed at.Man City, Chelsea, West Ham & Spurs all failed to beat QPR this year.

I wouldn''t count any away game as winnable..

Premiership Mid-Table sides. (as it was before todays games)

Stoke 30pts

Sunderland 29pts

Fulham 28pts

Wet Spam 27pts

Norwich 27pts

Away Record

Stoke 1win and 9pts

Sunderland 3wins 13pts

Fulham 2wins 10pts

Wet Spam 2wins 8pts

Norwich 1win 8pts.

Home Record

Stoke 5wins 21pts

Sunderland 4wins 18pts

Fulham 5wins 18pts

Wet Spam 5wins 19pts

Norwich 5wins 19pts

Unless everyone of these teams is a relegation candidate this season, why are we any different, are stats and performance is very typical of a mid table side, good at home, poor away, have good runs, bad runs and indifferent runs. That''s life being mid-table.

I agree that no game in this division is winnable, that was my point stig. Just because they''re at home doesn''t mean they''re "very winnable" either. Those games baracouda referred to may well be at home, but we failed to win against the worst side in the division today (albeit away from home), so we''re not going to just be able to turn up and roll better sides than QPR over simply because we''re at home.

We looked poor today, and I dare say we''ll look poor when we''re playing in these "very winnable" 7 home games.

Actually, let me qualify that last statement; I thought we looked poor going forward. We were too deep and on occasion not tight enough, but I thought we looked fairly decent defensively over all.

Aggy games at home, is where everyone gets their points. Bar the top few sides.

I would say:

6 winnable games at home, 3 wins, 3 draws (not bad after a start of 2 draws QPR/Wet Spam)

and 6 games v top sides. 2 wins, 1 draw, and 3 defeats.

I would quantify with our 1 away win, that no game away is winnable, and with the above home record, every game at home is very winnable. (i.e we have played all the top6 at home now, and sure we might lose the odd one, but we need about 9pts most likely.

Ha ha, this thread is so funny.  Today''s point was a good one.  We created a number of chances and any other goalkeeper other than the Brazilian number 1 and we would have won easily.  Yes we probably did sit deeper than we needed to but that was in response to a change to a 4-4-2 and more direct play from QPR.  As it stands one win and results going our way and we could be tenth.  In the words of the late Michael Winner; "Calm Down Dears!" 

I''m not disputing the fact teams generally get more points at home than they do away.

I''m disputing your statement that "7 winnable games at home" will be "enough comfortably" for us to stay up.

Just because a game is ''winnable'' on paper, doesn''t mean that we are actually going to win it. My original point was that even though we were away from home today, against the bottom side we should have seen this game as at least marginally ''winnable''. Yet we didn''t win. Now we didn''t have home advantage, but we also won''t be playing the worst side in the division during those 7 home games you mentioned.

Home advantage is just that; an advantage. It doesn''t mean we''ll definitely win. And to think we''ll comfortably get enough points from teams scrapping and desperate for survival just because we''re at home is a misplaced belief in my opinion.