Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Hughtons defensive nature - its too much

Getting tired of his constant 4-5-1 / 4-4-1-1 system.

He is signaling it is more important not to loose than to win.

The late entry of Becchio today, just another example.

Holt was awful, again, as I have been messing about the entire authumn.

When Kamara arrives, Holt is due a lengthy stay on the bench, me thinks

I dont think we are able to defend our way to Premier safety, so Hughton need to signal some more offensive intent.

I know his main task is imperative, to keep us in the Prem, but still..we wont be able to attract many good players in the summer with such a dull playstyle

If it keeps us up, thats all that matters to the club. They need the money from the new tv revenue! I''d much rather get relegated and play the academy players etc...

Correct formation for away matches but would like to see more attacking intent at home. I would drop Pilkington to free up extra striker. Doesn''t do enough over 90 minutes to be  a certain starter. 

[quote user="Monty13"]Just out of interest did you watch the game?[/quote]

Yes, otherwise I would not comment on it!

I agree holt was awful and to me looked like he was on a lunch time kick about and still worked for a tyre company and this was the first time he''s played football.

For me working hard he might but we can''t keep sticking up for him and 99% knows goals out weigh work rate.

For me hughton needs to partner Becchio up front with holt and see where this leaves us.

Elliott benetts got a pace but Unfortuantly he hasn''t got the footballing skills to interact with his pace.

If we were playing the same team and formation as today against an half decent team we would been hammered.

Did you even watch the game today? It was probably the most chances we''ve had in a game, we were quality. QPR were quality too.

Best game of football we''ve been involved in this season, if looking at it from the perspective of a neutral, was thrilling end to end stuff.

Could easily have been 4-3 like the Swansea game if it weren''t for two keepers at the very top of their game.

You all slate the OP but he is correct, this will not work in the long run. We may not get relegated this season, but if we play in the same manner next season we may or I can correct most likely will.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]We had 14 shots today Grefstad - that''s a perfectly reasonable total for an away game.[/quote]So we can''t finish for toffee then?

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]We had 14 shots today Grefstad - that''s a perfectly reasonable total for an away game.[/quote]

Yes, Im not saying it was a bad away game, but the game really was there for the taking if we had seen some inspired subs earlier.

Bennett was unlucky, having to fill in for injured Pilks at left wing. Bennett is no left winger, so not many complaints on his performance even though it was not very good.

Holt was for me again poor. Ok, Hughton may want him to play differently from last year, but he is losing the ball too often, looks uninspired, not mobile enough, "never" a threat, and you would expect him to put his weight about, which I dont think he does enough ( apart from fouling the opposition too often).

Disappointed to see a big chance for an away win be missed, to be honest

[quote user="I am a Banana"]I''d much rather get relegated and play the academy players etc...[/quote]You just get dafter nana and you were daft when you started. [:S]

I just wondered, as that game was the least defensive overall display I have seen from us in ages. We were creating good goal scoring opportunities, while also being fairly solid at the back.

I have been critical of our defensive nature myself recently but today was a much better display utilising the 4411 formation effectively when we had the ball.

I also think bringing on Becchio late was the right decision as we had been combating there change to 442 well, when in other games I think Hughton was right to be criticised for waiting to long.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]Did you even watch the game today? It was probably the most chances we''ve had in a game, we were quality. QPR were quality too.

Best game of football we''ve been involved in this season, if looking at it from the perspective of a neutral, was thrilling end to end stuff.

Could easily have been 4-3 like the Swansea game if it weren''t for two keepers at the very top of their game.[/quote]

Bet we''re last on match of the day again !

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]We had 14 shots today Grefstad - that''s a perfectly reasonable total for an away game.[/quote]

Yes, Im not saying it was a bad away game, but the game really was there for the taking if we had seen some inspired subs earlier.

Bennett was unlucky, having to fill in for injured Pilks at left wing. Bennett is no left winger, so not many complaints on his performance even though it was not very good.

Holt was for me again poor. Ok, Hughton may want him to play differently from last year, but he is losing the ball too often, looks uninspired, not mobile enough, "never" a threat, and you would expect him to put his weight about, which I dont think he does enough ( apart from fouling the opposition too often).

Disappointed to see a big chance for an away win be missed, to be honest[/quote]Agree with all that but with holt i think its that hoolahan and some others around him doesn''t do enough to help and support him.

Hoolahan didn''t do much today, he has too many off days and get over-hyped when he has a couple good. Bechio Should of replaced him earlier and at times we sat back too much and were asking for trouble, the wingers need to do alot more and the passing is getting alot poorer.

Yes, but it has got a lot to do with the setup of two defensive holding players in Tettey and Johnson.

None of them try forward passes. It is backwards or sideways at best. I know it is their tasks to patrol in front of the back four, but come on. We can not be that onedimentional all the time.

We need a plan B and plan C, and it is there for all to see that we dont have that at the moment, and have not had this season at all.

Becchio should have come on around 70 minute stage....but Hughton too cautious as ever!

He won more in the air in his 9 minutes than holt did in his 95 minutes.

Gefstad - you can''t have watched the same game as me today.

Johnson and Tettey far more accomplished on the ball for me, not just sideways - especially Johnson who was playing balls into the channels for the wingers, to Hoolahan and Holt''s feet.

I think the problem we seemed to have today was with Pilkington going off Bennett really struggled to use his left foot. It would have made more sense to me, especially with Becchio coming on, to switch Snodgrass with Bennett - especially when Ben Haim came on.

Nothing about todays game was particularly defensive though. Considering they were the home team they didn''t half sit team and try and play on the break with one up front.

I don''t think they really got at us appart from ten minutes in the 2nd half when we looked a little wobbly. But they had only around 2 decent chances in open play and the penalty. One of which being Townsend''s 20-25 yarder.

We tested Cesar from open play with really well worked chances at least three or four times. Hoolahans chance, Snodgrass and Johnson the most clear ones I can recall.

CH inherited a poor defence, and in Turner and Bassong has improved it. Garrido to me is a little disappointing - no pace, and tries to shepherd fast wingers. Martin has little pace and Whittaker not much more. The result is that we are still vulnerable to attacks down the wing. So he has to provide a line of four in front of the back four, even if two are wingers.

Tettey seems to have gone off the boil recently, and neither he nor Johnson are particularly good at anything other than short square passes. I suspect that Butterfield was seen as a holding midfielder, but as one who could pick a good pass, but so far has been a little disappointing.

CH doesn''t subscribe to the dictum that attack is the best means of defence. There is some truth in this saying. When we attack their midfield has to funnel back also but we are in their half, rather than ours!

For me we were a tad lucky today, yes at times we defended well but you cant forget the fact they missed a pen. If that goes in we would have been screwed!! CH wouldn''t have known what to do, as he has no plan B.

[quote user="chicken"]Gefstad - you can''t have watched the same game as me today.

Johnson and Tettey far more accomplished on the ball for me, not just sideways - especially Johnson who was playing balls into the channels for the wingers, to Hoolahan and Holt''s feet.

[/quote]

Fair enough, today was perhaps not the worst game for Johnson and Tettey.

I just want to see more composure, more of the right choices from both. They just seem to take the easy option, which is backwards, too often. I know, if they did have the nescessary skills, they would be at Inter Milan, not Norwich, but still...

Hoolahan isn''t good enough he''s hot and cold, 1 goal 2 assists and the wing play is terrible with two DM''s what are the full backs doing they need to attack and supply.

I''m sorry did I watch a different game today?

It''s no wonder Holt is struggling to get involved there''s no one running off of him. The two wide midfield players don''t get beyond him and Hoolahan is trying so hard to get things going he''s all over the pitch not contributing to anything.

That game was there for the taking in the first half and it was like City had no clue. And yes, I am a City fan, before the usual crowd deride me with the label "binner".

The number of times that our fall back had possession of the ball and were looking for movement ahead of them. There wasn''t any.

From 60 minutes the game was begging for a change in midfield. Swap one of the holding players or God forbid tell Johnson to get forward more but don''t get them to continually sit.

A dropped 2 points from where I was sitting.

And on another day we would have scored them.  Stop being a prat.-------------------------We had 14 shots today Grefstad - that''s a perfectly reasonable total for an away game.So we can''t finish for toffee then?

this squad is no worse than last seasons, the blame lies with the formation/tactics/style employed by the manager and his coaching staff

he wants to do things a certain way, its not working, 4 points minimum from the next two games (both at home and winnable) or he should be sacked before its too late