Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Garrido - a defensive nightmare

Cant help it. Everytime I see Garrido play, the guy is a liability.

The penalty today, although clumsy by Bunn, was actually made by Garridos even clumsier pass.

Bales goal on Wed, I think Garrido could have done more than just backing 40 yrds into his penalty area on that occasion as well.

Still think he is easily passed by opposition wingers, and his low height means he is a vulnerability on defensive set pieces against, as seen earlier this season.

Not good enough.

Time for Tierney again, although he is not much better...

Yes, but thats also my main view of him. He does everything pretty average, and never takes one for the team.

Te Bale goal was very avoidable. Both Tettey and Garrido had the chance, neither took it, both were on yellow cards.

You''re right grefstad - stopping Gareth Bale when he is running at you at full speed is one of the easiest jobs in football - sheesh, I could do it on my own blindfolded with both my feet tied together. What was Garrido thinking of?

[quote user="Swollen ankles "]He''s still awful and there was a reason why Lazio didn''t want him to stay with them[/quote]

Right so playing at the top level of 3 of the biggest leagues in the world, playing alongside world and European champions in his career makes him awful does it?

Good job we have marc "colchester united" tierney....isn''t it

l can''t believe l am hearing this!

Although he wasn''t great today agreed he has been excellent this Season.

I Suppose a new scapegoat must be found?

who do people want there? Ashley Cole? Leyton Baines?

Get real! If people think Tierney is better than Garrido then god help us!

Snake

I do feel he has had a few poor games recently. I''m not sure our style of play suits him overly well, I think he''d be better as a marauding wing back type player. Instead, I think he ends up worrying too much about his defensive duties to be able to play with the freedom he might want.

Today he had an especially poor game, but I think it''s probably just a bit of a bad spell for him rather than him not being good enough. He''s shown more than enough throughout most of the season to suggest he is more than capable of be a very decent premiership defender.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]You''re right grefstad - stopping Gareth Bale when he is running at you at full speed is one of the easiest jobs in football - sheesh, I could do it on my own blindfolded with both my feet tied together. What was Garrido thinking of?[/quote]

As you say a doddle that. I could do it walking on stilts, whilst balancing two trays of drinks in each hand and playing chess on my smart phone against Spassky. Easy.

Two really good draws this week plus a clean sheet away from home, yet still people feel the need to criticise players and on another thread the manager.

Sometimes you winder if people really understand the game properly.

He has consistently been one of best and most important players this season. What''s up idiots? Must be his turn today, at least until one of the new guys f*cks up. Poor old Luciano''s on a hiding to nothing.

Today he and bassong had a few individual errors.

I can forgive because of the levels of consistency and the fact that they are by far and away better players than what we have now in their positions.

But, individual mistakes and lack of concentration is what costs you in this league. We will need to stop these throughout the team.

I''m glad he''s in our squad.  We certainly didn''t have a player of his qualities (note I didn''t say defensive qualities) at his position prior to his arrival.I don''t think the original post is entirely without merit however, he enters tackles in a rather unorthodox fashion, and I''m not entirely sure that he is the quite up to scratch from a defensive perspective.  I''m of the opinion that Tierney is better defensively, but offers nowhere near as much going forward as Garrido.

When Pilks went off, Whittaker a perfectly capable LB should have been sent on and Garrido play left midfield, hes played here before.  Benno is no left winger.  This unsettled the balance of the side.  Think we need to recall Whittaker he was the catalyst of our 10 game unbeaten run either RB or LB.

I watched the game and he made me very, very nervous throughout. Didn''t look comfortable at all and although the pitch didn''t help it was mainly his fault that the penalty was conceded. He looked the most indecisive of all the back 4 and keeper. He is still a good player and I hope he gets back to his early performances. I still think we need another LB in summer though to replace Tierney at the very least

[quote user="pete"]When Pilks went off, Whittaker a perfectly capable LB should have been sent on and Garrido play left midfield, hes played here before.  Benno is no left winger.  This unsettled the balance of the side.  Think we need to recall Whittaker he was the catalyst of our 10 game unbeaten run either RB or LB.[/quote]

Benno played well I thought. Chased up and down that wing and gave us pace. Certainly didn''t have a bad game by any stretch

I''d love to know which quality, experienced left-back people think we should sign to replace the "liability" Garrido?

Get real, he''s a good player at this level and a good match for the club at present.

A couple of mistakes from him today, one almost very costly (thank Bunn) but still less mistakes than Hoolahan usually makes (although today Hoolahan was almost immacualte - whassup wi'' him - oh, Eire match midweek).   He is not the strongest of tacklers but knows how to hold attackers up - out wide QPR didn''t get a sniff.  Onward.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]Who is grefstad and why does he keep posting negative threads?[/quote]

A Norwegian Norwich fan for the last 26 years. Perfectly warrant of an opinion...

And I am not negative, but critical of the current setup of the team, and performances of certain players, which I dont think are good enough.

I dont buy into the halleluja stuff regarding Hughton, and certainly not about Garrido,

I have seen all Norwich games this season, home and away, and Garrido has never convinced me he is a dependable left back at this level.

Critical remarks are not always negative.

I do agree Garrido had a bit of a sh*tter today.... but been solid and reliable all season... would like to see us get him permanently in the summer.

It''s a bit concerning that lately he''s not been as good as he was earlier in the season, when he was excellent. Hopefully it''s a blip.