Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Where will the goals come from?

Lots of debate about whether to drop Holt or not. The facts are in the one up front formation, he does hold the ball up well and all that, but he''s scored only 4 or 5 goals all season, and that hardly looks like changing for the remainder of the seaons. Comparisons to Lambert are expected, but we have to remember Holt scored 15 in his first season in Premiership, but in a completely differnt formation this year. Lamberts doing the same, but not quite so prolific, and one suspects won''t score so many next year (they never tend to in their second year in Prem)The worrying question then, is where will the goals come from to get us those vitla wins, goals? It would seem stupid to bring in a striker who is on such good form, but only play him from the bench-would this see his form and confidence dip, and there where will we be, as likliehood is Holt won''t score that many more if we stick with one up front. SO should Becchio replace him?Would personally like to see Becchio start a few with Hoolan, to see if that partnership bears fruit. That would give Holt a bit of a rest, plus might bring some hunger back to his game, and migth mean he''s stronger later part of games, when defenses are tiring. Could we play Holt/Bec up front together, but at the expense of who? Think we need the creation of Hoolahan, but could we afford to drop Johnson or Tettey?

the only way hold and becchio would work together is if we played our wide men on the correct side so they could attack crossses  whipped in at speed ... as it is now by the time the wingers have cut inside to there correct foot the moment has passed and defenders are in position to deal with the lame high lob that drifts into the area in slow motion...

With slow forwards and deep lying midfielders to support in the box then the wingers need to check back at the moment.

But a confident striker with 19 goals needs to be on the pitch. Hughton will be aware of this and will change the side accordingly.

I am sure becchio will get some good playing time over the next few games, certainly the home games.

We need our midfield to chip in too. Remember last season Surman and pilky had a good score ration. This year pretty abysmal. Hoops needs to score and actually take shots on.

Yesterday he had two good chances, good save and one were he needed a faint touch in the first five minutes.

This is now of obvious concern, especially if our joint top scorer Pilkington is out for any length of time.

Since the turn of the year, Norwich and QPR have found the net a paltry two times. Fulham - 6, Sunderland - 7, Southampton - 7, Wigan - 7, Villa - 8, Reading - 10.

As form goes, if Norwich were to concede a goal, the best result they could hope for is a point in any given game.

Hughton must find a formula, particularly at home, that puts far more emphasis on attack and winning games. It is surely better to be gambling a little more at home now, than to allow more pressure to build towards the backe end of the season.

This season is all about survival, but surely next season he must develop a better brand of entertainment?

I rarely indulge in tactical talk, having little nous in that direction, but it seems a little more clear cut at the moment.

Assuming that Pilkington is due a spell out.

Home games:

Changes from yesterday: I would bring in Becchio alongside Holt. Snodgrass could be tried on the left side, whilst Whittaker, as a better right ''wing back'' could replace Russ in defence.

Away games:

Same team, but Martin to replace Hoolihan or Becchio  and play as a sweeper behind the back four. 

Bennett would be my first substitution, for either an attacking (if chasing)  or a defensive (if saving) role. Kamara would be my joker (not literally) should we be chasing.

I am therefore more negative than the Hoots for away games.   

Crucify me! 

I would agree to a switch in flanks for Snoddy and play Benno on the right. A classic 442 , but who would you drop? Tettey or BJ? After yesterday, I think you just can''t drop Bradley. He played great

With seven home games and six away games, in all honesty every game is looking difficult.

The only away games that look like yielding points are at Sunderland and Wigan, and I wouldn''t put down any bets on the likelihood of that happening.

Home games against Southampton, Reading and Villa are starting to look like accidents waiting to happen.

The next two home games against Fulham and Everton are crucial, as they will set the tone for how the season will conclude. Better to win one, lose one, than muster a couple of draws.

So I believe a Becchio/Holt partnership is the way to go. Hangeland won''t be playing, so let''s get back to last year''s avenue of success - crosses into the box, and let''s get some daylight between us and the strugglers, putting a whole different perspective on those tricky home matches to come.

Snodgrass is a right winger, and would be much less effective on the left wing - we saw exactly the same thing with Huckerby time after time. He could turn their right back inside out, but down the right he always struggled a little bit.

We seriously need to bring in a left winger in the summer, but hopefully this is where Kamara steps up. I''d play a 4-3-3 formation against Fulham with Holt supported by Snoddy and Kamara with a midfield three of Surman, BJ and Tettey. Yes I am aware this will take Hoolahoop out of the equation, but the mid 3 should be enough to cope with the pressure, and when defending we would slip into 4-4-2 with Snoddy getting back to sit deep whilst Holt and Kamara chase down.

Hoots would never do that though, expect more of the same with Kamara or Bennett starting instead of Pilks

If Hoolahan had a right foot we might have scored two yesterday.   When crosses came in he could only flick with his left when a confident  striker would have wrapped his right foot around both of them to give the ball some power.  

The goals will come from Becchio and Holt, no question, with Pilks and Snoddy getting one or two as well.   That has been the pattern of the season anyway, and if Becchio replaces Hoolahan, then goals should be easier to come by.

A good question! Yesterday marked an improvement in one respect. According to the BBC count we had nine on target out of 13, which is much better than usual, and better than QPR as a percentage.

Being on target means not over and not by the goal. Now they have to try to avoid the keeper. Too many attempts, especially headers, are directed too close to the keeper. I hope that Becchio will show the way!

The thing is, this is the first time since we bought Holt from Shrewsbury that he hasn''t scored. He cam to us (albeit we were in League One then) but he came confident, and had been quite prolific. And because of his confidence he carried on scoring for us, and then the following year in the Championship, and then in his first season in the Premiership. That''s what confidence does for you.Which is why, in my opinion, Becchio needs to be the man to lead the way for the next few games. He has scored 19 this season, whereas as Holty has, what, 4?? Yes the formation has changed, but Holt is still getting chances, but he''s not putting them away. Perhaps Becchio, with his confidence high, might just be the injection we need to get a few more crucial goals  . If we can get a win against Fulham, and then look for at least a draw against Everton, we are on 32 points, and not too far off the magical 38 points!