Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Forward planning - if we are relegated & then promoted again, will we be any better off???

[A] I''m not so sure about what makes the difference between say ''doing a Charlton'' and ''doing a West Brom''??? Does anybody out there know???

That is, how do we get promoted with a team of basically ''premiership players'' -as opposed to a team of ''championship players'' who are unable to make the step up???

[B] Now, ''doing a Portsmouth or a Man City or a Birmingham'' - that''s easy - we just need to get on board a chairperson/principal shareholder with real money. Maybe Delia knows somebody??

Is Worthy our Curbishley or our Megson??

Delia - who do you know?

OTBC.

if you go up, down, up then you get promotion payments, parachute payments and more promotion payments while you are already building up a good squad. thats why wba have been able to spend so much this season maybe.

This is easy 1st time up clear depts and make minor reinforecements to the squad and expect to go down (if you don''t you are automaticaly 4 years ahead of target) This is what our club is doing! 2nd time up the club should be solvent giving you more money than before to start preparing a premiership team (expect to go down again) do once more if you fail this time then something is wrong. If you survive a year in the prem you are expected to become an esablished premiership team and only expect relegation if major changes occur. i.e change of manager or board or major transfer coup!

I think we wouldl definitely be better off.  Players who will have added to our squad from last term would be Charlie, Doc, Saf, Jonson, Deano and two goalkeepers.  I''m assumung (perhaps wrongly) that we will lose Greeno, Franny and Helveg at least.  Considering the cash from these players, parachute payments and our prudence this year we would definitely be in a better postion 1) to mount a 1st Div championship challange and 2) to mount a Prem relegation challange the following year

Worthy''s still the man IMO.  We need managerial consistancy.  Charlton have had it, Bolton have had it.  Both superb role models

Its all so simple then, our under achieving softies come out of the Premiership and go into what is an extremely difficult league to get out of and breeze it next season and we are back into the Premier League, so simple.

However a few caveats our established players will be two years older than last time, the ex Premiership stars who stay are not used to the physicality of the old Div 1, our strike force should be a force at this level but our defenders still shell shocked from the Prem experience are unlikely to be as solid as last season.

Even to be a force next season we need radical additions to defence and midfield and possibly attack if Svensson goes, these need to be younger and more expensive purchases than pasr buys have been, the question is wil be able to afford such purchases ?

Although its a simple plan the carrying out of it maybe more difficult than formulating the plan.

The big question is are we a better team than last year? The same players (Green, Huckerby) are playing as well, Francis has improved but are the others better? (not moaning, just asking) The gap between the prem and fizzy pop leagues is getting bigger as the prem teams are getting the large payments each year so it will always be very hard to keep up with them.

We''ll be better off on paper, assuming we hang on to Ashton etc. However with the team playing as it is, they''d struggle even in the Championship. But Worthy is a good manager at that level, so I think he could turn it around and win promotion again.

It would be for nothing though, because we still wouldn''t be good enough to stay up. I really don''t think Worthy is good enough at this level, and I''ve seen no evidence that he''s learnt anything tactically on the field or off it.

Ideally we need new manager and coaching staff, but realistically, it would be difficult to attract a manager of the quality we need. At the very least though the coaching staff need to be changed.

You don''t need to spend gazillions on players if you have good organisation; just look at Everton, or Greece in Euro 2004. Unfortunately, we have neither gazillions nor organisation at the moment.

[quote]surely if we got promoted again then staying up would be a piece of p***. assuming we buy right[/quote]

I do hope that was in jest Northern Canary!?  A piece of p***??  It''s one of the hardest leagues in the world!  If we were to be relegated then promoted again it would be just as hard as this year.  Look at the baggies.  I''m sure they thought they would do a lot better than they have considering how much cash they have spent