Sign in to follow this  
Not Nigel

How Would You Get Rid Of?

At the end of this season?

For me I''d release:

Lee Camp (seems inevitable anyway)

David Fox (just time for him to go and play)

Andrew Surman (injury prone, lightweight)

Leon Barnett (like him, but a champs player)

George Francomb (else we would have 3 right backs in the 25!)

Elliott Ward (out of contract anyway)

Chris Martin (please realise that he isn''t 21 anymore, he''s the same age as Pilkington and Bennett)

James Vaughan (we are the wrong club for him, needs to be somewhere where he is guarenteed to play when fit - like Huddersfield, basically)

Daniel Ayala (Nottingham Forest fans don''t think he''s very good, I don''t either.

There has to be question marks over Marc Tierney, Simeon Jackson, and Korey Smith. I like all three players but either they are in Hughton''s plans or they are not. But the list of people who look certain to leave is already at 9, hardly need to make any more room in the squad, particularly as Garrido has to be renewed, so I can see all three staying next season to be honest. I still think Korey Smith could play a part for us, time is on his side, unlike Chris Martin who has surely ran out of time now?

I still have grave doubts that we are really prepared to go out and spend £10m on a striker in the summer. £5m perhaps.

We need a lot more players than one might think, a lot of people have become deadwood.

Yes there will be changes.

Those out on loan may be moved on.

But fox and s Jackson need to move on for the sake of their careers.

Yes we will need players. Surman won''t leave after signing a 3 year contract in the summer. Adeyemi and Korea smith will be here and rightly so. Butterfield will return.

So it will be a changed team. But it needs to be, that is what we require and what happens.

Well Adeyemi will now take a place in the 25.

But if we add Fox and Jackson to the 9 in the list, but take out Surman, we are left with ten.

Smith, Butterfield, and Adeyemi will come in and take places.

So that''s 7 gaps.

Norwich fans will have to appreciate that big name players may not be realistic, when we will likely need 8 new faces in the summer. If we take those 11 plus Gariddo and Kamara out of the squad we would be left with:

Ruddy

Bunn

Steer

Rudd

Martin

Whittaker

Turner

Bassong

Bennett

Tierney

Snodgrass

Howson

Surman

Pilkington

Hoolahan

Johnson

Bennett

Tettey

Butterfield

Smith

Adeyemi

Becchio

Holt

We are basically drastically short on strikers and defenders. Two new strikers and three new defenders will need to be found before we can even think about the midfield, which in my opinion lacks a left winger at very least.

We have a ridiculous number of center midfielders though, so Adeyemi and Smith will probably end up out on loan again.

If we take Steer and Adeyemi out (under 21) we will have a 20 man squad, before considering the likely loan of Korey Smith again.

So we''d need six players just to register a squad of 25 players.

Howson is a tricky one. He obviously is not up to scratch at the moment,but he does have potential. Maybe a good loan may be of benefit.

I pretty much agree with the OP''s assessment.

I can see some fairly extensive surgery on the squad in the summer, this will be the window where we have the largest amount of money available since our return to the PL, with the debt gone and the new TV deal.

I can envisage at least 6 or 7 new players coming in to really beef up the quality of the squad and look to establish ourselves as a solid, mid-table side like West Brom.

Prozac, he said £5 million on a striker, not overall.

Will be interesting to see how much we do spend. I don''t think we have that many players really worth all that much that we''d want to get rid of, maybe Fox and Surman.

Paying off the debt probably means we don''t actually have that much more than we did last summer, although McNally confirmed we bid double our transfer record and will have that money in summer, we should have a fair bit.

I think after a couple wins, that will take us to a very comfortable position, the scouting team will be working very hard to find suitable summer targets. If you make the assumption Hughton isn''t all that keen on the reserves, we need a at least 5 new players. And to sign Garrido permanently. Players like Fox, Tierney, Barnett are immediate back up, Jackson too. And he''s either been very sparse in their use for reasons not obvious to us, or they''ve played and just not looked all that great. And obviously Hughton has the training experience as well, we don''t know who does what at colney.

It''s likely that Rudd, Steer, Smith, Adeyemi and Francomb will all be loaned our or maybe sold as they start to approach 21 or over.

Martin and Vaughan are likely to be sold, along with Elliot Ward leaving. I''d like to see Barnett go too, just not good enough for this level.

Fox may well ask to move on, question marks remain over Ayala (potential, but cannot stay fit), Butterfield (will he ever be good enough?), Howson (possibly needs a loan to get back to his best?) and Tierney (not really played and Hughton doesn''t seem to rate him too highly), Surman (been injured a lot, I''d personally keep him though as he''s definitely good enough for this level).

Personally I would bring in Garrido if we can get him cheaply, plus another left back from somewhere. We''ll have to wait and judge on Kamara, but that''s a potential signing.

So, I''d get rid of:

Howson (loan)

R. Bennett (loan to get experience if we bring in enough cover)

Steer (loan)

Rudd (loan if we keep Bunn)

Smith (loan if we''re keeping him)

Francomb (loan as above)

Adeyemi (loan as above)

Camp

Vaughan

Butterfield?

Ward

C. Martin

Ayala

Fox (if he wants to leave to get 1st team football)

Barnett

I''d sign from this years squad:

Garrido

Possibly Kamara

[quote user="Morisons Prozac"]We a clearly going to spend more than 5 million in the summer given that we have spend more than 12m in the last two close seasons *facepalm*[/quote]

Your lack of reading comprehension is not my issue *facepalm*.

AJ,

I pretty much agree with your assessment with the exception of:

Butterfield: Deserves at least a chance, he is on loan now. Add a good pre-season and give him a chance in August. If he isn''t up to par send him on loan and sell him next January.

Howson: I''d first like to see how effective he is in a 4-4-2 with Holt and Becchio up front. Playing in a midfield with Snodgrass and Johnson like he did at Leeds, with Becchio up front, this season... if he can''t cut it this season in a 4-4-2 then I see little reason to loan him next year, just flog him in the summer if he doesn''t show at least glimpses of quality in the second half of this season.

The rest I agree with. Hope this Kamara bloke is good, I assume that we have a fee arranged with San Jose, can''t see him costing any more than £1.5m to £2m as that''s huge money for an MLS team apart from Galaxy and the Red Bulls.

"So we''d need six players just to register a squad of 25 players. "

You can actually register less than 25 players, in fact we are in the minority by having a full squad.

Surman - ineffective, lightweight means the Premierships a step too far!

Chris Martin - Lower Championship player at the very best!

Elliot Ward - Done a decent job in the promotion season and Liverpool home apart did likewise last season, but we''ve now movd on beyond him.

Ayala - Hasn''t pulled up any trees at Forest this season and is injury prone!

Camp - Unless Ruddy gets sold, he''ll be one too many!

Fox - Hughton doesn''t rate him and hasn''t pulled up any trees in the few chances hes had.The wrong age to be messing about like he has this season!

Barnett - Done better than what many fans suggest but hes always going to be limited at Premiership level and Hughtons been after the probably better Curtis Davies for quite a while now!

Jackson - Willing runner and effective squad player but has had limited chances due to one upfront formation and is''nt Premiership standard!

Howson - Needs a loan move ASAP to get playing some games andf to find his form!

We will need to sign at least 6-7 new players in the summer that will be better than those we''ll undoubtedly be getting rid of which I think is more than possible!

I want to question all of your views of Surman. Did you actually support Norwich last season? Or even in our promotion season? He is a very, very good footballer - why can''t he play at this level? Why is he ''ineffective and lightweight''?

He purely hasn''t played much this season because of injury, but last season he was a very good alternative to Pilks, and can be used in several different systems. I see no reason to sell him, I think he can do good for us.

The question "I want to question all of your views of Surman" is one that I''m happy to answer.

The question: "Did you actually support Norwich last season?" is pretty offensive.

I''ll answer it anyway. We''ve had Surman for two and a half seasons now. In my opinion we saw three months of decent football from him in the Championship when we were playing the diamond.

The diamond didn''t work in the Premier League under Lambert, it won''t work under Hughton, and neither will he try it.

Surman has never looked effective as a wide player to me, whether in this division or in the Championship on the occasion that he was required to play there.

The only position that he could possibly play in a 4-5-1 is the behind the striker role, I''d only ever stick him there if Hoolahan was injured though.

There is no position for Surman in a 4-4-2 in my personal opinion. I''ve already said in this thread that I''d like to see us sign a left winger (and preferably one like Andros Townsend).

If Hoolahan was to get injured then we have Butterfield or Howson to play in a 4-5-1, although now that we have Becchio and in the summer probably another striker too, we can of course revert to 4-4-2.

Keeping Surman for backup purely on the basis that he can put in an extremely mediocre shift at left midfield or attacking midfielder is pointless in my opinion.

He is also injury prone. He''s out injured more than he is fit.

He does seem to have the knack of being in the right place at the right time to stick the ball in the net, but past that I can''t see what he has to offer.

As somebody who has played in primarily attacking system as an advanced player (such as the left side of the diamond or behind the striker) he ended last season with 24 starts and 0 assists.

Are problem is a lack of chances, we struggle with the final ball, and the quality of our crosses, and struggle to get in behind the defence.

Surman wouldn''t change any of that. I''d rather see somebody else being given a go as an attacking midfielder (e.g. Butterfield), and somebody with real pace coming in to offer something on that left side (e.g. Andros Townsend).

Howson!! Been played mostly of of position this season and when he has played its been after spells on the sidelines. He''s got a lot of potential and I think we''ll live to regret it if he''s sold.

Busy summer.

In Goal we should have cover unless, as mentioned, ruddy gets a call. There is no reason why he shouldn''t he is looking the part now. If so camp is good cover if we believe bunn can do the job.

Right back Whittaker and Martin can hold that position.

Centre half, bassong, turner, Ryan Bennett will be the three that will be in our squad so we do need another centre half.

Left back, sign garrido and keep Tierney for one more year.

Pacey wide players, snoddy, plky and Benno. We need a Pacey winger who can give an end result. Benno for me will move to fourth choice. We need a new starter.

Central midfield - tettey, Johnson, Howson, Surman, butterfield, k smith and adeyemi for me. We need def one to come in who can be a starter. Oh forgot the hoops.

Upfront holty and becchio, well again we need two goal scorers, whether they are out and out forwards or players who can play out wide or in a striking position.

For me we need, a centre half, a left back, central midfielder, a wide player and two strikers. Seems like a déjà vu of last summer. But there is no question the players we brought in are a step above, we just need to add to that in the summer.

I can see really major surgery on the squad in the summer, with the following established squad members all leaving:

Tierney

Barnett

Ayala

Ward

Fox

Korey

Chris Martin

Jackson

Vaughan

Add to that Camp, whom I cannot see being re-employed once Ruddy is back.

Although I don''t foresee a huge future for him at the club, I don''t see Surman leaving simply because he signed a long contract extension only last year.

The one possible surprise that no-one has mentioned is Garrido - after a good start, he does not convince me fully, and I would not be surprised if he is not taken on. Kamara will essentially be on trial while he is here, assuming he gets a work permit.

Last season Hughton was somehat hamstrung by the lack of funds available to him. This will not be a problem this summer, and will encourage him to splash some of the comparatively massively increased funds that will be available. Not just the 6 million or so left over from this January transfer window, but the extra 10 million then no longer being diverted to pay off debt. On top of that will be the massively increased Sky money, though much of this will be spent on wages.

I can therefore foresee a good £25 million being available next year for transfers. This budget would then be used to fill the following key positions in the summer:

2 x left-back (one "first-choice", with the other likely to be a younger loan player)

1 x Centre back (as we will only have Turner, Bassong & Ryan Bennett)

1 x Defensive midfielder (someone who can offer better passing out from defence). Admittedly we already have 2 DMs (Johnson & Tettey), but I can see Hughton continuing to use 2 in some though not all games, and we will need back-up.

1 x Left winger (currently no left-footed competition for Pilkington. Someone with a bit of speed would also offer something different and improve our counter attacking)

1 x Attacking midfield (we are too reliant on Hoolahan)

1 x Striker (on whom we can and will probably need to spend a LOT of money).

The funds available should mean that all these signings (second left back excepted!) should become first choices in the team.

I''m expecting a squad overhaul if i''m honest. Hughton will know by the summer who we likes out of the Lambert squad he has inherited, and the signings he has made so far that have impressed or not.

We have some players under the youngster bracket who are facing their d-day on whether they stick around to be given a chance, or move on for the sake of their careers.

Rudd, Francomb, Ryan Bennett, Ayala, Adeyemi, Smith, Butterfield...they are all 21-22 so at what point do they move on for games or get used in the squad? I agree about Chris Martin, he''s 24 now so if he hasn''t impressed by now then the time has come for him to move on.

Out of the rest, I expect Camp''s stay to be short, Garrido jury out on whether we buy or not i''m not sure what will happen with him. Barnett, Ward and Tierney I think will move on for the sake of their careers, Surman and Fox too, and Jackson and Vaughan are another ones I am unsure on but with Hughton making it clear he wants to overhaul his strike force, I suspect they''ll move on in search of games.

So that potentially leaves us with a pretty small and young squad. I imagine we won''t get a lot of money in return for any players leaving either as usual. So investing the millions we saved from not spending stupid on Hooper and money we will get for premier league survival, could see us in for a busy summer!

I expect in the summer we''ll at least get a left back, a central defender, a defensive midfielder and a striker. Therefore I''d see some of the injury prone and less able moved on and these would include :-AyalaWardTierneyMartinJacksonVaughnI''m not including the youth system products as I''ve no real idea about them.We''ll continue with a more gradual evolution in terms of numbers since the defence has been strengthened and from now on it will about be adding quality once the above players have been removed.

While I agree with the names being touted about..

If we get rid of 9, I can''t see us signing 9 in the summer. So some will stay.

With Steer age, and Rudd''s age, along with Ruddy''s age. It might be beneficial to just sell Rudd. With a buy-back option.

Maybe do the same with Martin and Ayala. If they ever realise their potential. But Martin particular, hasn''t shown enough for us to wait around for it.

We need Tangible or Purple to come and sort this out because I''m sure from previous reading that we will not have an EXTRA £10m from being debt-free at all because we''re actually supposed to PAY £10m in summer to clear the remaining debt first. I also thought that the extra funds from the new TV deal weren''t available until the season after or is that wrong?? I don''t really know how that one works, but hopefully someone does...?

The positive is that we''re seemingly carrying over £5/6m+ into summer that was unspent in Jan.

As for players..

LB x2

CB

LM

ST x2

A creative midfielder that keeps the ball and has a bit of strength would be great, but the 6 above are the most important

9 new players would be impossible, a total clear out might be negative for the squad spirit etc.

I can see a lot of players leaving though, it would be nice to bring in some solid quality in a similar mould to Hughtons signings this season.

I would imagine Garrido will be a perm. signing in the summer though so that''s only 8 to sign, plus if Kamara is a hit, he''d make it 7.

Davies has worked with Hughton before as well, so less chance of disrupted harmony if we signed him too