Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Well-Oiled Machine Vs A Rusty Bicycle

That''s what it looked like yesterday, a well-oiled machine versus a rusty bicycle, as Arsenal, with Mercedes like precision, left Palace in their tracks. And just what were the differences in class that stood out?Superb demonstrations of what clinical finishing means? Emphatically! Passing with pinpoint accuracy? Unquestionably! Incredible flicks of the ball to leave the opposition mesmerised? No Doubt! That''s the talent you pay the big money to acquire.

However, as I sat there watching with admiration how the great game should be played, something else struck me. The Arsenal players had an attitude about them that went beyond their talent. Their desire to achieve the basics was there for all to see. Moving effortlessly into open space off the ball, using varying levels of pace while running with the ball, each man furiously racing to recover the ball at all costs if they lost possession or a tackle. It did not escape me that the deadly combination of these attributes along with the aforementioned skills makes it nigh on impossible for teams like Norwich and Palace to compete. Certainly we could not compete on skill but, I found myself thinking, could we even compete on basics? Most teams such as ours would tire ourselves out quickly trying I suspect. What do others think? Are there ways to at least negate some of the dominance achieved when the combination of sheer skill and tenacity is on show, as was the case yesterday?

Yankee, first off all let me apologise for making a sarcastic comment about the "return" key on another topic.  I doubt it bothered you but I apologise anyway.

As for whether we could compete on the basics, I don''t think we can but I have to wonder whether it because of our inability or that the opposition are forcing us to play badly.  It does seem strange that we can''t do the simple things.  We give the ball away as much the opposition wins it from us.  Our players don''t always have an option when wanting to release the ball due to poor movement and positions of team mates.  There are so many more "basics" that we miss which may well cost us dearly at the end of the season.

Also I can''t help thinking that we are getting progressivly worse. I wonder if early on in the season when we put in all those good performances only to lose or draw had a negative affect on the team?

For 30 minutes the rusty old bicycle had the well oiled machine looking fairly ordinary until it got out of first gear.

The bikes qualities in that first period, with Southampton''s spirited performance against Everton and WBA against City and Tottenham when measured against City''s ineptness against Albion and Blackburn provide an insight into which team at the bottom looks least like making a valiant attempt to stay up.

If Palace are a rusty old bike what phrase would best describe City ? a roller skate perhaps.

Yankee,

Have to agree about the running off the ball thing, Arsenal do it very well, every player makes himself available for a pass whenever a team mate is in possession, they get forward in numbers so a wing runner has many options for the cross and they surge back to swallow up opposition advances. In answer to your question I feel that any team playing with this attitude will look good and achieve much regardless of the value of its'' players.

With respect to the match you mention, it was similar to City''s game v Blackburn. Palace in the early stages of their game looked the better team as we did in ours, good chances were not taken and when the home teams eventually scored they became revitalised and consequently dominant. The conclusion is that goals breed confidence which in turn brings out the best in players.

I M H O of course.

Is vision a skill or part of the basics because Arsenal have it in abundance.

And its what we lack big-time. That for me has been the saddest part of this year. Lots of huff and puff - but visionless.

[quote]Is vision a skill or part of the basics because Arsenal have it in abundance. And its what we lack big-time. That for me has been the saddest part of this year. Lots of huff and puff - but visionless...[/quote]

totally agree twiggy, its not the fact our players arnt working hard enough.... its just pointless

(lets all run to the goal, yay im standing on the goal line witht he ball, what do i do now???????)