Sign in to follow this  
bigkev 1974

mixed opinions on holt

i see there are alot of mixed opinions of holt this season so i would like to see on here how many are for him and how many against?  this could be interesting?

444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444

Totally for with no hint of a doubt. Immense yesterday, worked incredibly hard all over the pitch. Does an amazing job for the team. Created space for Wes & Snoddy with excellent runs.

I saw a comment elsewhere on this board claiming that he did not look interested. I can only believe that person was not at the game or is a troll. What I saw from the top tier was a man who led by example in everything that he did. He did not score but anyone who thinks that is his only job is deluded.

Holt & Bassong first two names on the team sheet for me.

RP

FOR!

His goalscoring has been nullified by the defensive style Hughton plays end off!

We''re still a better side with him in it!

Even if hes on the wane, he will still be useful for a couple more seasons as as back up striker at least!

Actually, I am ''for''. Two points: (i) when he looks over tired after say 60-70 minutes yesterday, Hughton should be prepared to make substitutions (ii) we should play both Holt and Becchio at home.

As is constantly being pointed out on this board, we''ve played the top six teams at home and our remaining home games should provide little obstacle to garner the few points we need to finish 17th. In constrast to this perspective, I would suggest that to win a few of those games it means setting ourselves up with that intention. Two up front and let''s not play for the 0-0. That strategy won''t keep us up.

4 Not sure if Becchio has enough in his hold up play to fit in with our current system- great to have another option though!

I still have mixed opinions about Holt. Yes he does do lots of things on the pitch for the team but I want my striker to score goals as well.

Can you see Liverpool being happy with Suarez or Man Utd with RVP if they both stopped scoring so many goals and did things for the team on the pitch? I can''t. All 3 are strikers and their main job is to score goals.

100% for,

People only see his job as a goal scorer, if you open your eyes and realise that Hughton has told him to sit a bit deeper and defend aswell as make the occasional run up the pitch, then no one would be able to criticise him at all. His work ethic and his defensive ditsy this year are outstanding, he was last man back more than once yesterday whilst still being able to go up top and hold the ball and create space for likes of wes and snoddy.

@ barclay_boy111 I agree Holt is not there to solely score goals but I want him to score MORE! That means being in the box when the ball is crossed. As a realist I had expected his tally to be double what it currently is by this point in the season.

Holt has won us far more points than just the goals he scored but he and the club would benefit from having an alternative so let''s hope Becchio can be that.

What''s all that Inner Circle nonsense "used to be Mark"?

Totally agree Nutty. Someone complains that he should be in the box when the crosses come in. What crosses??

Holty has always praised the service he got on our golden three years. Anyone recall what service he has this season/ To compare his performance with the likes of Liverpool strikers is a nonsense.

I hope to goodness we get a back up for him because when he doesnt play in Hoots format we have looked absolute pants!

I just hope that Bechio gets a chance to play with Holt. I''m not holding my breath however

And round 37 Holt bashing begins.....I really wonder what planet some people are on or what football team they have been watching for the past 3 years.

Holt is definitely not being helped by Hughton''s tactics. He is receiving little support and has a hopeless task on his own against burly defenders. Yes he does work well with Wes but the latter is never going to mix it in the box, he is more of a playmaker. Neither Snodgrass or Pilkington can take a defender on the outside. Many corner kicks fail to beat the first defender. It is very noticeable that deliveries to him are over hit.

On the other hand Holt has lost a bit of pace and agility. You can see this as he now tends to jump for punts upfield rather than look to get his head  them on. I suspect because he knows nobody is near him to pick anything up. He is also diving i.e. first few minutes at Loftus Road and looking for free kicks.There is no point in him going out to the wings, he has one position - in and around the penalty spot.

At his peak he was a very underrated player, scoring some clever goals. I just hope he finds his form and fitness.

For.

However I don''t think he is the same force from previous years and I would like to see Becchio given a go instead or with him too.

He last scored against Swansea - that is too many game ago and together with the lack of assists the alternatives should be explored.    That does not mean I want him to leave the club! 

He remains our main striker, but only 3 clubs have scored fewer than us (2 are in the bottom 3, the other is stoke) and our goal difference in also poor with only the bottom 3 worse than ours - again mainly due to the lack of goals. 

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]And round 37 Holt bashing begins.....

I really wonder what planet some people are on or what football team they have been watching for the past 3 years.
[/quote]

lol - and you are so adverse from "bashing" a player you dont like!   Pot, Kettle, Black