[quote user="Mungo Bumpkin"]That''s a great idea but why stop there? Tino Asprilla isn''t getting at Newcastle lately, neither is Malcolm Macdonald. Could we get both of them in?[/quote]

Real mature comment seeing the player I mentioned is a current professional not someone from 10 -30 years ago!!!

This is, frankly, a ridiculous suggestion.

He is well past his best. Got released on a free by Nottingham Forest after a very poor 2010/11 season, went to Cardiff on a free purely because of what he achieved their earlier in his career.

Struggled to get in the Cardiff team last season and was rubbish when he did, and has spent the first half of this season on loan to the Israeli league where he has struggled to make an impact despite the very low standard.

He has 14 league goals in 65 games over three seasons in the Championship + Israel.

How on earth would you conclude that he is better than Jackson, who scored 13 in ONE season for us in the Championship, despite being a bit-part player for half a season?

This is a typical case of being rated purely on past reputation. He used to be an excellent Championship striker, now he is not. You are making the Paul Jewell mistake of rating once-decent but now past it players a la Bowyer and Bullard.

It is like me suggesting that we sign Clinton Morrison on the basis that he was good in 2008 (he has 1 goal in 20 for Colchester).

Even at the peak of his game he seriously struggled to make an impact in the Premier League. Did alright in his first season.... his next two seasons brought 2 goals in 34 games.

Lazy mercenary who''s next contract will probably be in League One.

I have just read the opening post and am now shaking my head in utter disbelief. The problem is i am sure this was intended to be a serious thread.[:$] 

Can we being Iwan out of retirement too? I''m sure they would make a great partnership up top together.

Lets ask Hux if he wants to provide backup for Pilks now he might be out injured for a bit.

I think we could do with Andy Hughes in midfield too, he''d give Johnson a run for his money I''m sure.

And what about Malky? We need some leadership at the back!

He''s in middle east, not east Anglia, would need missiles flying overhead to feel at home and settled enough to play.

[quote user="Eadies Left Huckss Right etc"]

Why on earth didn''t we snap up Earnshaw on loan, not in Cardiffs plans and probably wouldn''t have to pay all wages.

Before people say don''t live in past etc, he knows where the net is as is still quick enough definately an upgrade on Jackson imo

[/quote]Surely all footballers (and most fishermen) know "where the net is"?

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]We could have snapped up Rory Delap on the cheap this window. Could have given "...throw it in..." a special twist.[/quote][:D]Yes, although "Keep it low" would have suffered as a consequence.Didn''t Michael Rose, league one loanee at left back, have a super throw?

Earnshaw?! dear go no!little mercenary couldn''t wait to get out of here and showed where we were at the time as a club.. an average player in a crap team will always look good... he did...Funny how it was publicly reported he met Billy Davies (then forest manager) at the millenium stadium when playing for Wales, then 2 weeks later Davies triggered the exact amount of Earnies release clause wasn''t it?