Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Ref for Saturday is ..........

Okay, therefore, Norwich game plan:

• Have a game plan that looks to go into the break at least two goals ahead
  • Every player give a good firm handshake to officials pre-game making eye contact in a friendly manner
  • No easy falling over by Grant Holt
  • Incur no yellow cards during the first half particularly ( as we achieved at QPR )
  • Work our socks off to achieve free kicks just outside the Fulham box for Snodgrass opportunities
  • Keep the backtalk to Webb and his linesmen to a minimum

Good luck boys.

Yes - that''s a good plan. We just need someone to explain to Mr Hughton that:

- Norwich are allowed to go into a two-goal lead

- You are allowed to bring subs on, if needed, before the 87th minute - and not just to replace an injured player

- You are allowed to bring an attacker on to replace a defender, if necessary. I know it might take Mr Hughton by surprise, but it is allowed !

Sorry but i fail to see the whinging and whining here over Webb being in charge on Saturday Harry.

Maybe you would have preferred Oliver,Clattenberg,Halsey or the likes of  D''urso( yes i know he no longer presides over Premiership games) but seriously Webb surely is one of the good guys ?

Fed up of people moaning about how we havn''t had a penalty yet.

No one is ever due a penalty, they have to be won or deserved. It''s not even as if we''re getting a string of dubious penalties not being given, I can remember probably one all season.

Man United and Man City get thirteen hundred because they''re usually unfaily brought down due to trickery and pace.

Get over it

[quote user="RenegadeSnare"]Fed up of people moaning about how we havn''t had a penalty yet.

No one is ever due a penalty, they have to be won or deserved. It''s not even as if we''re getting a string of dubious penalties not being given, I can remember probably one all season.

Man United and Man City get thirteen hundred because they''re usually unfaily brought down due to trickery and pace.

Get over it[/quote]

Just wanted to compare the penalty Bennett gave away against West Ham to the blatant push one of our players got in the box towards the end of the QPR game.  Player fell over, no-one near him and the Qoops defender and must have been seen.

He''s about a good a ref as we will get, has the failing of course of being human and making mistakes just like the rest of us, shame on him! What shall we moan about next, the grass at CR is a bit off colour, the green is not quite what I would have expected for this time of year, blooming green keepers, don''t they know anything about green!!!!!!!

When I opened up this post, I expected to see the name of either Mark Clattenburg, Lee Probert or Michael Oliver!

Howard Webb is a decent ref and while we may all disagree with some decisions from time to time, having the World Cup Final referee do our game on Saturday is good. Really can''t complain at that.

Can I suggest who you WOULD prefer to referee our game if not Webb?!

Webb is a shocking Ref, the world cup final is proof of this.. wouldnt show any red cards as it would ruin the "spectacle" of the occasion... No Howard.. an Early Red card (or even a yellow) For Holland would have nipped their tactics in the bud and led to a more enjoyable and open game of football.... he wants to be the star....

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Webb is a shocking Ref, the world cup final is proof of this.. wouldnt show any red cards as it would ruin the "spectacle" of the occasion... No Howard.. an Early Red card (or even a yellow) For Holland would have nipped their tactics in the bud and led to a more enjoyable and open game of football....

he wants to be the star....
[/quote]

Name me a better ref then in the Premiership.I suspect that if he had been waving red and yellow cards around in the World Cup Final you would have been saying exactly the same thing''he wants to be the star''.

[quote user="BarclayWazza"]

[quote user="RenegadeSnare"]Fed up of people moaning about how we havn''t had a penalty yet.

Get over it[/quote]

Just wanted to compare the penalty Bennett gave away against West Ham to the blatant push one of our players got in the box towards the end of the QPR game.  Player fell over, no-one near him and the Qoops defender and must have been seen.

[/quote]

I was just about to post this myself, it was a clear two-handed push on Becchio by Ben Haim as the ball was crossed over towards him, similar (and just as clear a foul) to the one given against Bennett vs West Ham.  So not hard to remember the last penalty we should have been given but weren''t !

The reality is that refs tend to give more penalties to the side at home, and to the bigger teams.  Anyone who doesn''t realise this is naive.  We need to keep moaning about it to get it noticed and encourage refs to give City penalties when our players are fouled in the box.

Also I am sure a big part of the reason why the pen conceded by Bennett was given was that the West Ham fans down that side of the pitch make a big noise when the ball was in the air and Bennett was holding the attacker - certainly made it a lot easier for the ref to notice it and decide to give the pen.  I hope our supporters at FCR do the same but I worry that we don''t.

PS agree with the comments on Webb, generally good, can''t remember him having a nightmare game for us unlike Clattenburg etc (YET!). 

To say he was poor in the World Cup final is massively unfair IMO, Holland had a game plan that was always going to make it tough to referee and I think he made the best of a bad job.

Certainly not Anthony Taylor. I used to think he was one of the better ones but now can''t work out whether he is just  incapable of counting or has forgotten how far the wall should be away from a free kick. He twice paced out 8 yards in the Man City v Liverpool game. Hoped the assessor noticed.

[quote user="Webbo118"]. He twice paced out 8 yards in the Man City v Liverpool game. Hoped the assessor noticed.[/quote]

Was it 8 steps or 8 yards?   If the former perhaps he has long legs and know he needs fewer steps than the average bear?   I can think of far more serious reffing crimes ;-)

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Webb is just about the best referee in the game! I don''t understand the reactions at all.[/quote]

Which reactions ( plural ) are you referring to Rob? Apart from Harry''s "tears" at the very beginning of the thread I can''t detect a single moaning word against Webb, and yet, I see different posters referring to the moaning occurring on the thread. Sometimes, I wonder if posters actually read what''s been written. Well. to be honest, I actually don''t wonder at all.

Exactly Yankee, most welcome Howard (I can call him that as we meet up at events around Sheffield regularly - he is a busy person who fronts many charitable and business support organisations) as being one of our better referees. 

However, as I have discussed with him, Norwich don''t seem to get the same rub of the green within the penalty box as other teams.  He listened to me but said he couldn''t comment too much on what I had said, but strongly stated he never let the home fans influence him in his decisions.  I gave him a quizzical look, mumbled Old Trafford and Sir Alex were probably happy with such a strong statement, to which he said he recognised he would never convince non ManU fans that he was not influenced by Sir Alex but that was those fans problem not his.  He doesn''t live in a bubble and is fully aware of what is said about him but is adamant it doesn''t affect his performance on the pitch.

That''s what I would expect of him Shef. He is one of the very best...a no-nonsense ref who gives every impression of making the best calls he can regardless of where he is. However, he is human, and that is why ( as I said earlier in the thread ) I hope Norwich comes out with an honest high-energy approach against Fulham, particularly in the first half and work to get decisions in their favour rather than resorting to trying to get cheap calls.

We might actually win a penalty this weekeend then, hopefully we switch to a more attacking formation. Start BecchioWebb gives them out like sweets.

We all have our own opinions on people/refs, it seems this time I''m on my own.It''s good to be different.