Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Sick of Newbie Doom Merchants!.

Have you noticed the sudden influx of newbie doom merchants lately?. Half of which I suspect, aren''t even City supporters!.

They always preach doom, discord and alarm.

Hell, some of them don''t have a positive thought amongst them!. I sometimes check other clubs message boards, although I rarely ''join in''. And there is often a reference on them about how pleased they are about ''winding up'' City fans on these boards.

Sometimes their names are a dead give away, but they all have one thing in common, they are all negative.

So before you overreact to one of them, think. Is this a wolf in sheep''s clothing, writing the doom laden thread?.

Yes we can still stay up but I think a lot of posters are starting to be realistic and realise it''s looking harder and harder.

We have 11 games remaining, 33 points to play for as you say. So far we have been shipping out just shy of 2 goals per game and scoring just shy of 1 per game in reply. Left to play we have 6 home games, including chelsea and man u (we may as well write those off), and 5 away games. Our away form is dreadful to put it mildly. We have must win games against palace and the saints but without a serious improvement in our defensive performances we are not going to be able to pick up enough points on the road to see us home. The situation is desperate ...... Man City is a win or bust game, as is bolton.

I know we can stay up and I want to believe it is going to happen but I''m finding it hard to see. A lot of posters are just being realistic and just because they haven''t got a 1000+ posts to their names they get filled in. If you''re not careful you''ll be sitting on here posting messages to yourself. We had this all six + months ago, newbie bashing. Leave them alone to express their opinions. We don''t need a ''they''re all imposters'' , McArthy witch hunt style posts here!

I am new to the board but not a new supporter. I have supported NCFC for years and shall continue to do so.  I do have a moan, but I would also give credit where credit it due.  I thought that what this board was for? 

I am a member of another football forum but its not the same because they don''t support Norwich, they support the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea which must be a much easier task at the moment!

[quote]Have you noticed the sudden influx of newbie doom merchants lately?. Half of which I suspect, aren''t even City supporters!. They always preach doom, discord and alarm. Hell, some of them don''t have ...[/quote]

You''re obsessed with ''newbies'' 1st Wizard...

Just because a poster doesn''t have a high post count does not mean their opinion is not as valid. Remember that.

What does a high post count mean if 75% of the posts drivel?

But if there are imposters, then they''ll get bored soon enough and leave.

It''s not a big deal

[quote]Have you noticed the sudden influx of newbie doom merchants lately?. Half of which I suspect, aren''t even City supporters!. They always preach doom, discord and alarm. Hell, some of them don''t have ...[/quote]

Thoroughly Agree with you 1st Wiz.......Hence my ''Worthy Out'' thread the other day, i am fed up with people looking for a scapegoat the second we concede a goal. All of a Sudden Green had gone from England International to a crap keeper in only 3 goals. Sure, he had a bad game (he was the first to admit this) buts that all it was. Support the team, its times like this that the fans cheering them are all they have. Sing load and sing proud!!

First Wiz ...prominently displayed in my local schools staff room is a large banner which reads ''IGNORANCE IS BLISS FOR THE TRULY INEPT.''  Now, when I read this trueism why do I think of you when ever you make a posting such as this one criticising newbies? Now please don''t get upset, as I certainly don''t want you to announce your retirement again.

Newbie’s - as well as old timers such as yourself who believe that it is only their own insufferable opinions that count - are entitled to air their own views without attracting the vitriol. If you wish to comment on postings that you do not agree with, recognise the newbies right to have a different view, respond with reasoned arguments and not the often-repeated mantra that you and your ilk are always right and that anyone who disagrees must have a screw loose.

I do not have many postings under my belt but I have been a season ticket holder for longer than I care to remember. I have experienced the highs and the lows – many more lows than highs I must confess  - that comes with being an avid city supporter. At every match that I have attended, I have given the team total support. I do not boo and neither have I left any game early. Now I think that this qualifies me to have my say and if my thoughts do not agree with many of the posters on this board who are totally blinkered to the faults of the team and its management, tough. I will however, defend their right to post different views to myself without resorting to rubbishing them.

Its this team watching over many, many years that gives me the right to make comments that I think appropriate with out attracting the opprobrium of posters such as you. Yes Wiz, I am a newbie and not a veteran of a thousand plus postings but that does not give you the God given right to rubbish newbie opinions with out a reasoned augment.

Now now wiz....sir,

You promised to take your "for medicinal purposes only" daily dosage Lets not start blamin all the newbies (for which I am am one) for all the doom and gloom, lets just blame the football gods... who have decided to make it hard for us as usual...

Personally I blame the god of balls "Mitre", he must be making all our players miss open shots on goal... dammit!!

We shall have to send a spell his way and crack his old crystal balls too...

1st whiz, i must agree.......

......alot of n00bs have signed up recently and are telling us everything

on most boards.... dont you just join the background first????

[quote]First Wiz ...prominently displayed in my local schools staff room is a large banner which reads '' IGNORANCE IS BLISS FOR THE TRULY INEPT.'' Now, when I read this trueism why do I think of you when ...[/quote]

Very true.

Stop bashing Newbies!! If they''ve got something to say that''s valid then I''ll listen to them, just as much as someone who has 1000+ posts. Just because some people like to be negative, look on the bad sides of this season and not remain positive it doesn''t make them any less of a fan than a positive supporter. Everyone is entitled to support their team in the way they want to. They pay their money, they can have their say...

I will not mention names but there are some who have high post counts but often (or even mostly) write utter drivel with no insight or contribution to good debate. Just because someone has a high post count does not make their opinion  more valid, in fact its refreshing to get some new opinions on here and stop this getting all too cliquey. If "newbies" came on here when everything is going well full of happiness and optimism would that still upset you Wizard?

I agree Wiz. If these newbies aren''t trolls, how come they only crawl out from under their stone when there''s something negative to say??

All Newbies take note:

• Please post 10 to 15 times per day for 3 and a half months solid.
  • These posts are to consist solely of the rehashed opinions of your betters.
  • You can tell if a poster is worthy of you becoming their disciple by checking the number of posts they have made, please ignore anyone with less than 1000.
  • Once you have followed this practice, you''ll reach it in early June if you start today, you can:
  1. develop some altered personality,
  2. voice your own opinions 
  3. and possibly add some dire graphics or ''witty'' slogan at the bottom of your posts.

Oh hang on you have to ignore me I''ve been lurking in the background like a good ''newbie'' for the last few years.

Enough of this newbie nonsense - we discussed this a couple of months ago and everyone on here was a newbie at some stage.  Personally, and like the argument about being a ''true fan'' its a totally pointless exercise.

All of us post on here because we support city through the good times and the bad - some of us cannot attend as many games as we would like but it does not make us any less of a fan - the same goes for this forum - until recently I did not have the time to post much although that did not stop me visiting every two or three days or so to read the posts for well over 18 months before I lost my life and now post here far too frequently.   Just because I have a high post count does not make my points any more or less valid;  I would like to think its the fact that I try to be constructive and put forward a good argument that makes posts interesting (I know FTFW, my objectivity gets ''skewedl'' on some players :laugh, not the fact my post total is in 4 figures - thats just my vanity.

Without newbies the forum does get stale - so my plea to all you ''hidden lurkers'' reading from afar dont be shy - voice your opinion - negative or otherwise wiz - I want to hear it all.

Where do I fit in this wiz - I have been critical of the midfield, defence and coaching staff recently - shall I disappear too as I have stated all along we are likelyt o relegated and so have been a ''doom merchant'' all season?  I have not intention of doing so.

OTBC

Aah, ZLF, the difference is that when you are critical of things, you tend to be constructive in your criticism, and search for answers to whatever the problem may be.  THAT is what makes these boards so enjoyable!  Yours are some of the posts I most look forward to reading, your well constructed and reasoned arguments have actually changed my opinions on a couple of occasions!  Others, however, revel in simply moaning and posting negative things, without looking for the positives or to be constructive in any way shape or form - maybe it is coincidence that the majority of these posts come from relative newcomers to the boards, maybe not.

[quote]Enough of this newbie nonsense - we discussed this a couple of months ago and everyone on here was a newbie at some stage. Personally, and like the argument about being a ''true fan'' its a totally poi...[/quote]

When have I ever said that because someone with a 1000+ posts total, that their posts are more important and indicates that they are a more true fan than newbies Zipper?. That''s right, never!.

Nor do I assume that.

For those who read read my post properly, I clearly said that on the fan sites of different teams, there is a growing band of posters from these clubs who just come on here to wind people up, and boast aloud of their exploits.

All you and the other disgruntled posters on here are doing, is shooting the poor bloody messenger!.

Of course all newbies are important to these boards, hell I was one once. I was only trying to point out, that some, not all, maybe are not quite what they appear to be.

And that is quite different to what you said and are assuming about me.

[quote]I will not mention names but there are some who have high post counts but often (or even mostly) write utter drivel with no insight or contribution to good debate. Just because someone has a high post...[/quote]

As I believe you mean me Tumbleweed, I''ll answer you question. No, of course I wouldn''t get upset by newbies being postitive.

What a silly question to ask mate!.

At least I''m prepared to talk to newbies (and do) which is more than can be said for some older posters on here!.

the quality of posts is not dependant on whether the postie is a newbie or an oldie and neither should your opinion of posters be driven by whether it consists of praise or criticism.

I suspect that your opinion is less about whether is comes from a newbie and rather a case of whether they are singing from whatever hymn sheet 1st Wizard has chosen for the day!

when i first came to this board I found myself harangued by an oldie with astonishingly limited vocabulary and a chip on their shoulder which was so conspicuous it could have been sponsored by Harry Ramsden. In the circumstances I decided to start again with a new alias such was the hostility.

I appreciate many of the posters on this forum, even if i sometimes - or frequently in some cases - disagree with what they have to say.

Yes, there is some drivel and every so often an influx of provocative or pointless posts but if they don''t get a response the poster usually goes away without anyone having to leave a horse''s head in their bed!