Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Chris Hughton

May I be so bold as to suggest to all those who consistently berate the manager for "not doing this" or "no Plan B that" or "only substitutes when it''s too late" etc., etc., etc. to submit your CV to the CEO of the club, and outline precisely why your credentials and your finer understanding of the mechanics and motivational aspects of football management are so much more superior to the current incumbent.

However, until you have had the testicular fortitude to do so, may I suggest that you stop winging and whining and let him get on with his job? I find it highly irritating when people pontificate under subject headings that have no relevance to CH or his management skills.

He has brought a a different style to his predecessor - let him be judged on that. I can understand people wanting the best for the club, but glory be, give it a rest - it''s not as if his initials are GR!

If he keeps us up I don''t care how it is achieved. The club banks £60 odd million, the debt is completely gone and he can build up an even better squad. With his assistance we have then wiped out everything Chase did in the latter part of his reign which has been a millstone around the club''s neck for around 20 years. He deserves legendary status if he achieves it not criticism.

Why do you assume staying up is a given? With our players and management! Why do the fans think the best all the time whatever those at the top do? We are allowed to criticise, we all want the club to succceed. It would be a shame to let all Lambert''s work go to waste and go back to square one. I hope we don''t regret not signing a decent striker in the windows and not trying to win some away games like at Reading and West Brom. In the long term, either this season or next, attacking football will be the winner. Not the Worthington approach.

Whilst I loved Lambert''s reign at the club and enjoyed the football much more under him, Hughton is doing exactly what the club needs this year. If you look at most of the teams of a similar size to us in the Premier league, they all have had periods of stability during which they played defensive football. Once we have established ourselves in the Prem hopefully we can go on to play better stuff like West Brom or Fulham (rather than the pap Stoke fans have to watch every week).

Also keep eye how other teams are playing. Those who are more open for full team counter attacks this season are bottom of the table. Southampton, Aston Villa and QPR. Even Newcastle is under us at the moment.

Lambert wasnt pro coach. He was always the motivator and his tinkering told that he really is still finding his own style. We probably would be down three with him. Hughton is professional and knows what he is doing and in my opinion it shows on the field.

We have very established and solid playing style which at best is very good looking football over whole pitch and at worst sitting deep and looking dull.

Almost everyone thought we would drop this season when our momentum was gone (ofc it can still happen), but Hughton has made almost everyone believe that we can beat almost anyone on the field.

[quote user="Lavanche"]Also keep eye how other teams are playing. Those who are more open for full team counter attacks this season are bottom of the table. Southampton, Aston Villa and QPR. Even Newcastle is under us at the moment. Lambert wasnt pro coach. He was always the motivator and his tinkering told that he really is still finding his own style. We probably would be down three with him. Hughton is professional and knows what he is doing and in my opinion it shows on the field. We have very established and solid playing style which at best is very good looking football over whole pitch and at worst sitting deep and looking dull. Almost everyone thought we would drop this season when our momentum was gone (ofc it can still happen), but Hughton has made almost everyone believe that we can beat almost anyone on the field.[/quote]

Agree with this.  We have to be patient to get to see a Hughton team at its best.   We get glimpses of it from time to time - first half Sunderland and Swansea - and you are right, our solid style means we can put pressure on any team in the league - if they can''t score against us they start to get frustrated - its a great asset to make  the opposition  feel they are going to have a really tough game.   Patience is the key.  

With every poor villa result I pray lambert is going to get the sack so we can have him back and get rid of this negative boring football. I don''t mind spending thousands following the canaries round the country but I do wish in return to be entertained. Something Hughton is unable to deliver I am afraid. As a human he is a top top man just not a great football manager unlike the Messiah

[quote user="Grant Holts Cod piece"]With every poor villa result I pray lambert is going to get the sack so we can have him back and get rid of this negative boring football. I don''t mind spending thousands following the canaries round the country but I do wish in return to be entertained. Something Hughton is unable to deliver I am afraid. As a human he is a top top man just not a great football manager unlike the Messiah[/quote]

[quote user="Grant Holts Cod piece"]With every poor villa result I pray lambert is going to get the sack so we can have him back and get rid of this negative boring football. I don''t mind spending thousands following the canaries round the country but I do wish in return to be entertained. Something Hughton is unable to deliver I am afraid. As a human he is a top top man just not a great football manager unlike the Messiah[/quote]

I think the reason you are bored so easily is because you''re human !

May I refer the honourable respondent to the 1st sentence of paragraph 2 of my opening post.

Then may I refer the honorable respondent to the current league positions and points tally of NCFC and AV and ask her "WHY"?

BTW. Given her user name, I have assumed that the respondent is female

[quote user="Grant Holts Cod piece"]With every poor villa result I pray lambert is going to get the sack so we can have him back and get rid of this negative boring football. I don''t mind spending thousands following the canaries round the country but I do wish in return to be entertained. Something Hughton is unable to deliver I am afraid. As a human he is a top top man just not a great football manager unlike the Messiah[/quote]It''s never going to happen - get over yourself.The Messiah spent over £20m last summer at Villa and where are they?

This is a football message board for people to express their views right?

If Hughton''s squad gets relegated (i can''t see it but it is not beyond the realms of possibility) those people will have been right to raise concerns.

I am actually in the camp which is not a fan of Hughton''s use of substitutions. I think the way he uses the squad leaves those players not in the first XI looking jaded.

I also look at what happened on Saturday when Harry Redknapp, brought on Zamora and went 4-4-2 for the home win ( and was a saved penalty away from getting it) and wonder if Hughton would do the same in our home games against average sides.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]I am actually in the camp which is not a fan of Hughton''s use of substitutions. I think the way he uses the squad leaves those players not in the first XI looking jaded. I also look at what happened on Saturday when Harry Redknapp, brought on Zamora and went 4-4-2 for the home win ( and was a saved penalty away from getting it) and wonder if Hughton would do the same in our home games against average sides.[/quote]

Pretty much my only concern of this season thus far.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]This is a football message board for people to express their views right? If Hughton''s squad gets relegated (i can''t see it but it is not beyond the realms of possibility) those people will have been right to raise concerns. I am actually in the camp which is not a fan of Hughton''s use of substitutions. I think the way he uses the squad leaves those players not in the first XI looking jaded. I also look at what happened on Saturday when Harry Redknapp, brought on Zamora and went 4-4-2 for the home win ( and was a saved penalty away from getting it) and wonder if Hughton would do the same in our home games against average sides.[/quote]

Well there''s the thing CJF. I''m not sure whether Hughtons reluctance to use subs has gained us points or lost them. We kept the point at QPR. It''s as possible that substitutions could have a negative effect. There''s nothing cast in stone to say they have a positive effect.

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]

May I be so bold as to suggest to all those who consistently berate the manager for "not doing this" or "no Plan B that" or "only substitutes when it''s too late" etc., etc., etc. to submit your CV to the CEO of the club, and outline precisely why your credentials and your finer understanding of the mechanics and motivational aspects of football management are so much more superior to the current incumbent.

[/quote]

You do realise this makes you sound a little like Glenn Roeder [:^)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

Ahh, that''s where I beg to differ - it is not me who is trying to tell CH how to do his job - I''m trying to provide a perspective which seems to be lost by many who think they have a right to tell him how to do his job and how they could do it better (as evidenced by the "advice" they profer)

As for sounding a little like a GR or even like a little GR - there''s no reason to be so insulting [:D]

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]

Ahh, that''s where I beg to differ - it is not me who is trying to tell CH how to do his job - I''m trying to provide a perspective which seems to be lost by many who think they have a right to tell him how to do his job and how they could do it better (as evidenced by the "advice" they profer)

As for sounding a little like a GR or even like a little GR - there''s no reason to be so insulting [:D]

[/quote]

But have you got a rat''s face[:^)]

What terrible logic OP.

So our lack of experience as professional football managers invalidate any negative opinion that we may hold on any football related issue?

Something very Roederesque about your post, he missed my tenure as England manager.

Using the same logic it is not permitted to criticize any football player having never played professional football?

Is it also wrong to judge politicians, having never been a politician? Wrong to judge your boss having never been a senior manager? Wrong to judge the actions of a policeman having never been a policeman? Wrong to judge the actions of a journalist having never been a journalist?

The truth is that for most of this season our football has been boring to watch and at times incredibly ineffective, we have been thrashed about four or five times in a little over half a season.

It is entirely possible for people to bemoan negative tactics and wrong decisions without advocating the dismissal of a manager or even questioning his ability or desire to win a game.

You don''t need to be a football manager to know that when you are yawning at Carrow Road. I think that most people just hope that Hughton becomes a little more daring and adventurous as his time at the club progresses and he invests more money into his own players.

We have seen him play exciting attacking football at Newcastle United, I think that most people just want to see our style of football evolve into something similar. Just ask Stoke fans how they feel about Pulis.... they have been bored of their own team for several years.

[quote user="singupcarrowroad"]What terrible logic OP. So our lack of experience as professional football managers invalidate any negative opinion that we may hold on any football related issue? Something very Roederesque about your post, he missed my tenure as England manager. Using the same logic it is not permitted to criticize any football player having never played professional football? Is it also wrong to judge politicians, having never been a politician? Wrong to judge your boss having never been a senior manager? Wrong to judge the actions of a policeman having never been a policeman? Wrong to judge the actions of a journalist having never been a journalist? The truth is that for most of this season our football has been boring to watch and at times incredibly ineffective, we have been thrashed about four or five times in a little over half a season. It is entirely possible for people to bemoan negative tactics and wrong decisions without advocating the dismissal of a manager or even questioning his ability or desire to win a game. You don''t need to be a football manager to know that when you are yawning at Carrow Road. I think that most people just hope that Hughton becomes a little more daring and adventurous as his time at the club progresses and he invests more money into his own players. We have seen him play exciting attacking football at Newcastle United, I think that most people just want to see our style of football evolve into something similar. Just ask Stoke fans how they feel about Pulis.... they have been bored of their own team for several years.[/quote]

People, you are comparing apples with oranges!!

Our passion for our football club cannot be compared to a passion for politics ......oh for goodness sake - no - how can one dignify such assertions / criticisms with a reasoned response?

If you want to compare your support, passion etc of Norwich City, with a passion for politics, policemen, and your bosses at work then the best of British to you!

Whilst I respect people rights to their opinions - if they are going to be so dissmissive of somebody because they don''t react or perform like a predecessor, then they should be prepared to back up their criticism with a reasoned argument.

CH has had to transform a very "gung-ho" type approach, to which we had been, and were continuing to be, "found out". Look at our performance towards the end of last season and the start of this season - was it great to watch, as were getting thumped by cricket score type margins? So what did CH do - with the limited budget at his disposal? He prioritised by shoring up one of the leakiest defences in the league. He also ensured that GH stayed at the club and he bought in the likes of Tettey and Snodgrass - and all that on a tight budget. He saw what was needed before he even started at the training ground (remember those DVD''s?) and he went for it. The rest you all know.

Now, as you say, we have seen him play exciting attacking football at Newcastle United - though they had to go through the circuitous route of relegation to the Championship before returning to the PL (not a route that I would suggest for us). What I''m saying is that it didn''t happen overnight, it took time, added to which, there was a significant amount of financial muscle with which Mike Ashley was prepared to bankroll the club.

CH priority has been to keep Norwich in the premier league. Why criticise somebody who is currently meeting their objectives? It doesn''t mke any sense - but then constant criticism from certain quarters never have made any sense.

Although I sometimes get frustrated by the late substitutions, I don''t presume to know more than he does. Bennett got a longer spell because of Pilk''s injury and played well enough, but hardly staked a claim to a starting place. Becchio might have come on earlier, but I can understand why CH wasn''t inclined to gamble with change in such an important game (especially with a player who had only trained with the team once). Becchio and Kamara bring new options late in matches and I hope we see them soon, but I''m willing to trust CH''s judgement. Any still longing for the dash and bravado of PL might like to read this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/alex-ward/paul-lambert-norwich-city-plan-failed-aston-villa_b_2626013.html?

"if they are going to be so dissmissive of somebody because they don''t react or perform like a predecessor"

It is entirely possible to identify the flaws in both the current manager and our previous manager whilst acknowledging their strengths too.

"CH has had to transform a very "gung-ho" type approach"

He didn''t have to, he chose too. Who knows where we would be this season with Lambert? Perhaps we would be in the relegation zone, perhaps we would be in the top half, none of us know.

"Look at our performance towards the end of last season and the start of this season"

I''d prefer to wait and see how we perform in the later stages of the season under Hughton before comparing Lambert''s campaign and Hughton''s. We still have a long way to go and over the past six or seven matches have been in relegation form when it comes to points on the board.

"So what did CH do - with the limited budget at his disposal? He prioritised by shoring up one of the leakiest defences in the league"

Hughton signed four defenders and a goalkeeper, and yet so far this season when calculated pro-rata we have conceded more goals per game than we did last season under Lambert.

"he bought in the likes of Tettey and Snodgrass"

I think that it is widely accepted that Snodgrass was a Lambert target and probably would have brought him here had he have remained at the club. As for Tettey, well a very impress start and no doubt a key component of our 10 game unbeaten run, but his honeymoon period is over and he is starting to struggle to impose himself. Howson was fantastic under Lambert. Speculating as to whether Howson would be playing very well under Lambert, or speculating as to whether Tettey will be important to us next season does nothing to add to the debate.

"He saw what was needed before he even started at the training ground (remember those DVD''s?) and he went for it"

If you believe that Hughton watched 63 hours of football on a family holiday then good for you, but that''s 8 full working days of 8 hours with no lunch break, and I personally doubt that he did. In my opinion he failed to bring in the one player that we were all saying we needed in the summer..... a good striker.

"What I''m saying is that it didn''t happen overnight, it took time, added to which, there was a significant amount of financial muscle with which Mike Ashley was prepared to bankroll the club"

Newcastle signed hardly anybody under Hughton.

"CH priority has been to keep Norwich in the premier league. Why criticise somebody who is currently meeting their objectives?"

Objective universally agreed. Objective not met until we get 40 points.