Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Down Under

CANARIES DOWN UNDER ARTICLE: THE SEASON IN NUMBERS

Barry Read takes a look at the stats for the season so far, and what City need to achieve if we are to reach the sanctuary of Premier League safety.

http://canariesdownunder.com/2013/02/07/the-season-in-numbers/

Many thanks for your support of the site.

You have broken down the equation, that leads to the answer, that we need to take more points of the teams around us, if we do we''ll be fine, if we don''t we''ll get dragged right into the relegation scrap.  Statistics have some value, for me they work in hindsight and suggest areas for improvement,  but it is very difficult to weight all determining factors (injuries, luck, confidence, effort on the day, refereeing decisions, ......).  In practice, we need to exploit all our opportunities for getting points, not just prioritise the teams in the bottom 8.

What was that the basis of your 1/4, 3/7 & 6/8 analysis?  If we are dealing in theory, to make the analysis more interesting, a view against last seasons results for us, and all other premiership teams would give a good indication of where teams get their points.

Kudos to Barry for having a go.However, I''m not a massive fan of the article, which is basically based on;1) An assumption of what constitutes the teams in all the different ''tiers'' of the league, and2) An equation invented in the article on how to get to 40 points.The last time I checked, we got 3 points for a win, regardless of where the opposing team is in the league, or, regardless of what ''tier'' someone allocate them in their pecking order.In my opinion, the article isn''t analysis, and shouldn''t be called ''A season in numbers''. It should be called ''Here is one way to count to 40''.But that''s just my opinion. Others may like it.