Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Howson - the stats

Someone mentioned in another thread that they didn''t think we had won a game this season where Howson started so I thought I''d check. He started the Swansea game so they were wrong, but I noticed that we had actually done quite badly in the majority of games he has started in so I though I''d add up the stats:

played pts f a gd pts per game
all 28 25 32 60 -28 0.89
starts 21 14 24 53 -29 0.67
2012/13 18 17 21 38 -17 0.94
12-13 starts 11 6 13 31 -18 0.55
I know that one player is not responsible for the result but we are only gaining 0.55 points per game this season where Howson has started. The 2012/13 appearances including as a substitute are skewed up to 0.94 points per game by late appearances from the bench in the Man Utd, Wigan and Sunderland wins. Notably, in our 10 game unbeaten run he only played a total of 105 minutes (including 90 in the Swansea win). In all he has contributed 2 assists and 1 goal, with only 1 assist this season.I was really surprised to find this as I thought he looked class when he came in, but it seems that the team do not perform well when he is playing. Could it be coincidence or is he somehow pulling the team down?

I think those games are all games Tettey did not start in and that may be the bigger contributing factor. I would like to see how a midfield of Tettey and Howson would fair as Tettey like Bassong seems to bring the best out in others.

If we are going to switch to 442 on occasions, be it at the start or after substitutions, then a Tettey - Howson centre midfield could be a better bet than a Johnson - Tettey one as we would need a more attack minded partner for Tettey.

It''s good for the manager to now have options, it will just be interesting to see how he uses them.