Sign in to follow this  
Not Nigel

Garrido

This isn''t intended to be a lets-think-of-a-player-to-bash thread, but I''m wondering.... am I the only person who thinks that Garrido is a tad over-rated?

I''m not suggesting that we have a better left back at the club, or even suggesting that he is flat out not good enough to play in the Premier League, just that a fair few Norwich fans think that he is some sort of demi-god who is on loan from heaven.

I''m putting aside the last couple of games where he has been, frankly, ripped to shreds. Can write that off as a difficult patch, although it was embarrassing seeing him being completely bossed by a well past his prime Shaun Wright-Phillips, I want to talk about this in the context of the season as a whole.

For me he is nothing more than an average Premier League left back who happens to be a slight improvement on Marc Tierney who is probably just a good Championship left back.

Garrido is half decent going forward, is capable of a decent cross, and if we played with two strikers would probably have half a dozen assists to his name, but defensively he isn''t really all that in my opinion.

He has the opposite problem to Russell Martin who is a great defender but largely ineffective when it comes to overlapping or putting a decent ball in the box. Maybe I was spoiled by Kyle Naughton who was the complete full-back, but the closest thing that we have to a complete full back is - much to my surprise because I was convinced that he was going to be a poor mans Alan Hutton - Steven Whittaker.

Again I''m calling for him to be banished to the reserves and he is the best left back that we have at the club, but at the end of the season..... Hughton should perhaps be looking around at the market before automatically moving to loan or buy Garrido again? Perhaps it is a difficult position to buy for, and perhaps Garrido will remain the best option available to us next season, but resigning him shouldn''t be a priority or a given?

He isn''t in my opinion a Kyle Naughton, a player who if the price was affordable we would be stupid to turn down. Some Norwich fans seem to talk about him as if he is. I wouldn''t want us to pay any more than a couple of million for him personally.

Kyle Naughton on the other hand, as unlikely as it may be seeing as AVB seems to rate him, I''d love to see him back if it meant throwing £6m to Spurs....

I''ve watched a couple of "spuds" games this season and Naughton had a shocker in both of them.

If Hughton decides that Garrido is not good enough, then for me Naughton is not the answer.

Garrido is the best left back we have and has generally had a good season. His crossing and set piece ability has not been used enough and he should in my view be allowed to take more free kicks from that side of the pitch rather than Pilks.

He is, like Martin (i would dispute the comment above about Martin being good defensively as I am not sure he is that great) a better offensive full back than defensive one so i do wonder if our tactics have nullified his main attributes somewhat. I also think his form has dropped off slightly alarmingly in the last couple of months and at present he just seems to be fouling a lot. Maybe thats because he''s not been a regular starter in any team for a few years and has run out of steam? Maybe its a winter thing. Whatever it is hopefully he will come out of this slump and regain his form from earlier in the season.

''He has the opposite problem to Russell Martin who is a great defender but largely ineffective when it comes to overlapping or putting a decent ball in the box.''

You must be watching a different Russell Martin to me.

Definitely not making the most of his crossing ability or free-kick ability. I remember two sitters that Snoddy missed from his crosses early in the season and as mentioned above, would have many more assists if we had 2 up front or Holt in the box at the right time. Defensively he''s not the absolute best against pace, but most left-backs struggle against pacey players anyway. Definitely offers more than Tierney and that''s the main thing. There''s rumours of CH being interested in Martin Olsson and maybe he''s a step up again - he looked very good last season. We''ll see what happens in summer. For now, I''m loving the new King of Spain

He is a significant step up on Tierney but I dont think any one is saying he is a leighton baines or Ashley cole.     However if he is available next season at a decent price I would sign him unless there is better out there.   

Right now even his poorer games are better than Tierneys performances this season so would persevere as we have no other viable alternative.

As for Naughton, IMO he performed better last season than either of our right backs this year.   However he was too expensive and we have two good options so cant be too disappointed - Bassong instead of Naughton was the better buy

I understand where you are coming from on this York Canary. For me, I think its just about the season having progressed and other clubs now know what he is all about, plus perhaps a little tiredness creeping in at times, but he is decent no doubt. Agree that Naughton hasnt impressed that much at Spurs and I have seen many of their games this season live on tv, Bertrand is the ex loanee that really impresses. For me, Whittaker is the best full back at the club by a country mile and, if fit, needs to be accomodated regardless of who CH upsets. 

Started the season very well and was good at keeping possession and helping build up attacks - great crosser of the ball also. His form has been up and down, which is unsurprising for a player who hasn''t been consistently in the starting line up for quite a few years. Could possibly do with a rest and wouldn''t be surprised to see Whittaker at left back on Saturday.

Garrido is worth signing in the summer as I imagine he won''t be expensive and is an improvement on Tierney. Maybe bring in another left back as well if there is an oppurtunity - but for a club hoping to be mid-table in the Premier League he is more than good enough.

Good point about his lack of regular games over the last couple of seasons (is suspect your mean isnt unsurprising) although that does make me a little despair about professional athletes!