Sign in to follow this  
writeronthestorm

If Tettey and Pilks are out...who would you choose to replace them?

IMO Surman in for Pilks and Becchio in for Tettey, which means we switch to the diamond and 2 up front...of course, I trust Hughton to make the right choice, but what would you do?

I doubt we''ll change formation. I suspect, if both are out, we''d be more likely to go with Bennett/Surman on the wing, with Fox/Howson alongside BJ.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I wouldn''t use Surman until he has had a chance to regain some form/fitness.   I would put KK in for Pilks and Howson in for Tettey.    Becchio to come on for Hoolahan at some stage.

[/quote]

You wouldn''t use the unfit Surman but would use the unfit Kamara who has had one or two training sessions with the other players?

Bennett for Pilkington and Howson for Tettey.

Considering it''s a home fixture, and the best oppertunity presented to us in recent weeks to gain a valuable win, i''d certainly approve of that line-up and formation. My only concern would be Snodgrass dropping a little too central as a result. As we know from Lamberts reign, the diamond we employ with Hoolahan at the tip allows for very limited width.Otherwise if it were to be 4-5-1, it almost seems inuitive that Fox would replace Tettey, and swap Snodgrass to the left wing with Bennett operating on the right. It''s been a fair while since i''ve seen a player look so uncomfortably out of position as i have with Bennett stuck out on the left.The skeptic in me unfortunately suspects neither will be the case, ie. Howson in place of Tettey, Bennett out on the left in a disjointed and ill concieved 4-5-1 line-up and formation.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I wouldn''t use Surman until he has had a chance to regain some form/fitness.   I would put KK in for Pilks and Howson in for Tettey.    Becchio to come on for Hoolahan at some stage.

[/quote]

I thought I was being bold with 2 up front...KK coming is even more bold (bolder?)...Might revise my Surman selection with Bennett, but still go for the diamond and ask Pongo & Bennett to play on their respective wings (Benno right, Pongo left)...surely this is a game we can afford to just go for it...?

I''d move Hoolahan to left, he can come inside and link up like Silva does for Citeh, and its a myth his workrate is too poor to play there. Howson for Tettey and Becchio up top next to Holt

When has anyone said Hoolahan''s work rate is too poor to play there? Never heard that at all, he runs all over the pitch all game.

There have been many comments attributed to him on here stating he could not play wide in a 442 because of tracking back, not going to dig up quotes or get into rows as Im not criticising others opinions. I dont see him as a winger either, coming in off the wing and linking like Silva does states that. City use Clichy for width.

[quote user="willo"]There have been many comments attributed to him on here stating he could not play wide in a 442 because of tracking back, not going to dig up quotes or get into rows as Im not criticising others opinions. I dont see him as a winger either, coming in off the wing and linking like Silva does states that. City use Clichy for width.[/quote]

Yes, not discounting that at all and that''s a very refreshing view - I''d like to see him tried in that sort of role

Wes on left would only work with two holding midfielder to protect the full backs, this allows for wes to have a free role on the left which also allows us to play two up front.

[quote user="writeronthestorm"]I don''t see Wes as a winger, I actually think the only place he can play is behind the striker(s)...didn''t he play as a winger during the season we gor relegated to league1?[/quote]Yes, but to be fair towards the end of the season we won 3 in 4 with him on the wing before he got injured against Plymouth. With Hoolahan out, we lost 5 of our next 7 - leading many to believe (myself included) had Hoolahan not been ruled for the rest of the season, we would have amassed the points total required to avoid relegation.

Expecting to see the 4 4 2 if this is true. Reunite the leeds central midfield with Johnson and Howson.

Surman and Snodgrass out wide and Becchio alongside Holt.

While we''re at it we may as well wear white!

Personally with these two out I would love us to go 442 with Becchio/Holt up front. Bring Howson into the centre and push Wes onto the left side. I''d actually prefer Wes out there to an unfit Surman.

Holt would be more than capable of dropping slightly deeper to maintain a shape closer to our usual 4411 anyway so in reality it wouldn''t be that huge a change of shape.

I suspect we will just straight swap Howson in for Tettey and Bennett for Pilkington though and otherwise remain unchanged.

Keep the same formation, becchio up front, fox for tettey and Bennett for pilkington

Stick to 4231. Bennett in for Pilkington.

For me Fox in for Tettey. He played better than howson against luton who has lost all his chances for me this season. A BJ and Howson starting combo would not give me confidence & his losing record is too much to overlook, although he must and will certainly win again soon, mustnt he?? Fox deserves a chance.

Fingers crossed Tettey is fit though - he and BJ are streets ahead of the options.

Would be amazed if we went 4 4 2, would expect to see Howson and Benno coming in but hopefully with Benno on the right and Snoddy on the left. I want to see Benno have a good game, he is a fans favourite but really needs a good game to keep that going cos for me he has been off the pace and lacking in confidence recently. Come on Benno and have a MOM performance!!

I suspect it will be Howson and Bennett, the objective of which, presumably, is to grind out a hard-earned 0-0, and a point closer to safety.

I''m hoping it will be Bennett and Becchio and 4-4-2 with a vague intention of trying to win the match.

A point tomorrow is simply not enough.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I suspect it will be Howson and Bennett, the objective of which, presumably, is to grind out a hard-earned 0-0, and a point closer to safety.

I''m hoping it will be Bennett and Becchio and 4-4-2 with a vague intention of trying to win the match.

A point tomorrow is simply not enough.[/quote]Howson and Bennet being the two midfielders involved recently would make me assume the same. I reckon we''ll start as normal, with Holt on his own up front, with the option of a switch with a second striker if things get desperate.

4-4-1-1

Same back four

Snoddy Fox BJ Surman

Kamara

Holt

[quote user="AJ"]4-4-1-1

Same back four

Snoddy Fox BJ Surman

Kamara

Holt[/quote]Drop Wes?Hmmmmm.

Not necessarily drop, but rest. I would prefer to go a more 4-4-2 approach with two players who can hold it up better up top. Pinging the ball up to Hoolahan is never going to work - pinging it up to Becchio or Kamara might

[quote user="AJ"]Not necessarily drop, but rest. I would prefer to go a more 4-4-2 approach with two players who can hold it up better up top. Pinging the ball up to Hoolahan is never going to work - pinging it up to Becchio or Kamara might[/quote]I have been working away and missed a lot of games this season, but I''m struggling to remember if we have played a 4-4-2, and who we played in midfield.You''re right, Wes is bobbins in a four man midfield. I am hoping Tettey is going to make a recovery, Fox really hasn''t totally convinced me at this level yet. Nor, for that matter has Surman.I think the manager will make as few changes, tactically, as possible.

Whittaker for Pilks and Ryan Bennett for Tettey probably with Hughton in charge!! Only joking, probs be Howson for Tettey and Elliott Bennett for Pilks, although this would be a good time to go 442 with Becchio up front with Holt as replacement for Pilks and Fox for Tettey is what I would like to see!!

BunnWhittaker Basson Turner Garrido                   JohnsonSnodgrass                  Surman                    Hoolihan            Holt               Becchio