Sign in to follow this  
GB1902

Transfer Cap

No idea if this subject has been talked about before or if it''s been tried before, but whenever I hear people talk about ''little clubs'' like Norwich stuggling at the bottom of the premiership and that they''ll never be able to compete with the big guns at the top the idea of a transfer cap pops into my head. Basically if clubs are only allowed to spend a certain amount each year, say 15 million, would this make the league a bit fairer? It would also have to work in conjuction with a salary cap so that bigger clubs simply couldnt offer a higher salary to potential signings. I really have no idea whether this would be a good thing or a bad thing because it''s hard to imagine it in the current football climate. I have always thought though that a transfer cap would obviously end ludicrious transfer fee''s (so no more 30 million for rooney type moves) and put all clubs on a level playing field? Anyone agree, disagree? Be interesting to hear what other people have to say.

In a perfect world I think a transfer cap of 15 mil and a wage cap of 25K a week would be a fab idea.  However, in the money bskyb orientated world of football, I can''t see it happening.  FIFA would never ever agree to it and neither would clubs like Real Madrid, Barce, Man Utd, Inter etc etc.

sounds a great idea. Money is slowly taking over football. if it hasnt already. Just look at Chelsea, they have bought the premiership title and taken away the competition from it

the problem with this, is that the real top players would never really be able to move clubs. would everton have accepted 15 million for rooney? would arsenal accept 15 million for henry. no.

lets say for instance defoe is worth 15million. according to the cap, henry would also be worth 15 million... personally i dont put them in the same class.

unless of course they used 2 seasons budget on a player, 15 million a year on a top top player.

I think a cap also would encourage a lot lot more clauses... for example, if a player is bought for 15 million, they may offer 2 million after 10 goals, 2 million after 20 appearances, 500,000 a game for the season etc etc. i dont think a cap would really do any good at all, just make transfers and negotiations a pain in the backside... just like the window.

[quote]the problem with this, is that the real top players would never really be able to move clubs. would everton have accepted 15 million for rooney? would arsenal accept 15 million for henry. no. lets s...[/quote]

It''s a good point David but the only reason that Everton wouldn''t accept 15mil for Rooney is because finances are so huge in football.  Extremely talented and prized players in sports such as Rugby or cricket are transfered for small amounts.  This is only because there aren''t the ludicrous finances in those sports

argh but David, if there was a 15M cap then only the top players would be worth that.  If you could get Henry for 15M then you wouldn''t pay the same for Defoe.  Defoe''s ticket price would be more like £7-10M.   Then someone like Ashton would only be about £1M etc.  The clauses you speak about are no different to what''s already in place and what''s already a pain in the arse.  A club either pays the full asking price or offers a split deal, the selling club then accept or decline, that''s business.

Top players like Henry, Van Nistel, Rooney etc. would ultimately decide where they wanted to play (location, team) rather than how much they would be earning, if there was a wage cap.  This would hopefully get more players playing where their heart is and earning their money, rather than just joining the highest paying club.

It will never happen now though, but it could work.

[quote]No idea if this subject has been talked about before or if it''s been tried before, but whenever I hear people talk about ''little clubs'' like Norwich stuggling at the bottom of the premiership and that...[/quote]

Sorry POA,

We appear to have come up with the same idea at exactly same time, I posted under Wiz''s Europe League thread and wasn''t aware of your post, apologies. 

Could say two great minds..........

It would be a really good idea. The only way i can ever see it happening is if alot of high profile teams went bancrupt, and the football assosiation / fifa realise something has to change.

The only way of it happening is if there is a breakaway of x amount of clubs from England to a Euro-Superleague, leaving a level playing field

What is currently under discussion is capping club''s expenditure as a certain percentage of their income. It would stop club''s like those at poorman road over spending against future earnings.

Club''s like Man City and Bolton are running huge debts that have allowed them to remain in the Premiership in a dangerously false position.

Trying to cap the transfer limit at a fee would be as easily sidestepped as Tierry Henry going past your local pub player. Right from the outset in the 1890''s clubs were finding ways of paying players outside of the regulations.

Much of the scandal of the previous decades was of managers buying Scandinavian players through agents whereby the club paid say £1m, the Scandinavian club recieved £0.5m and the manger and agent divied out the difference between them. It is easily hidden via agents commisions consultancy fees. Check out how much clubs are paying curently.

Anyone who has read Tom Bower''s excellent book" Broken Dreams " will be well aware how much money has and is being siphoned out via transfers. One well known manager is even known as ''Readies'' XXXXXXX. 140 transfers in one seven year spell at a club !

Capping club''s expenditure as a percentage of their income would bring in a more level playing field. It would also block enormous outside interference as with Chelsea. Which has recently highlighted the naivety and greed of many football fans. When asked almost all Chelsea fans said they didn''t care where the money came from as long as they were winning. No thought that as with Jack Walker and Mohamed Fayed it go just as quick leaving you completely in the lurch with no back up and stuck with horrendous outgoings.

Unfotunately with SKY money dominating many fans are happy to see anything happening as long as it brings success. The game is slowly being turned into a freakshow under the guise of being made a better spectacle and more fairly controlled.

The offside law is ridiculous as is the forcing of players off the pitch after treatment. Worse is to come. To deliver a product that fits in with the sponsors requirements a lot more changes are on their way.

Transfer fees and wages may well eventuaklly be seen as the least of football''s worries.

Actually the extension to this would be to require that clubs limit their squad sizes. Then the salary cap would be applied across a defined number of players. That''s what they do in the NFL and if that hasn''t been driven by TV money in past years I don''t know what is. The team has a cap that it must get it''s total salaries down to. If a player can''t negotiate what he thinks is a fair contract with his current players in line with their team cap then he is free to seek employment elsewhere. Mind you in the NFL there is not really something like a transfer fee, although future draft picks may be included as part of trade negotiations between teams for players.I have to agree that I think something has to be done to stop the monied teams destroying the competitiveness of the national leagues throughout Europe. If a cap of some form is the way to make it work then have at it....