Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Twitter & McNasty

I''m not saying that this chap has a legitimate complaint or that the club would be able to do anything about it, but no reply is the worst action that could be taken. All inquiries should get a reply, surely? Even if it is a few lines of general platitudes like "sorry to hear your experience wasn''t enjoyable" and "if you need any assistance relocating your seat for future games then please contact our ticket office and I''m sure they would be happy to help".

Skijumptoes, do you seriously know anybody who needs to create a twitter account to keep in contact with their child? Apart from Chris Huhne?

I''m not saying he ''needs'' to, but he''s probably interested in supporting her, especially as she''s working her way through media (I think).

And sure, most people communicate with friends and family via twitter, right? I can''t see what''s unusual about that.

There''s family members that i follow and it''s nice seeing their trivial day to day comments, what they''re up to etc., when i wouldn''t necessarily be phoning them each day.... Let alone bringing up the subject of what they may post on twitter.

And the effect of his behaviour can be seen in the creation of threads like this. Remember - I didn''t come in here bleating and moaning about his behaviour.

I only came in here to put my side of the story. And all through this I''ve tried to remain as non-confrontational as possible.

Not something, sadly, I can say for Mr. McNally.

Skijumptoes, whether his account is a personal one or not.... he still appears not to care about the fact that his customer service team do not reply to emails or return calls, and in fact does it himself.

Of course I understand why the CEO doesn''t want to be answering general customer queries and complaints on twitter or by email, but he should certainly be forwarding general queries to the customer service team and be expecting them to reply.

There are mixed reports in respect of the effectiveness of customer service at Carrow Road. Some claim one hour replies and great service, some claim being ignored or palmed off.

The idea of customer service is not the be selective in what you do or do not reply to, it isn''t a PR department. The PR department can refuse to reply or comment to press inquiries, but the customer service department of any company should surely be replying to every email or call they receive, even if it is a generic two or three line response full of platitudes.

If you worked in a customer service department for any firm in the city, let''s say Aviva for example, if you had emails which went unanswered or calls that went unreturned.... that would be cause for retraining and a dressing down, or possibly even disciplinary action, right?

Any CEO should be concerned to hear that their customer service department has promised call backs and not given them or ignored emails.

I''m not saying that this bloke has cause for complaint in respect of his dad being abused in the lower Barclay, but rather pointing out that the CEO apparently doesn''t care that his customer service representatives are not doing their job properly.

I imagine that human nature would lead those lads who were standing to be more interested in the game rather than your dad and showing manners.

If I was in your position I probably would have booked up in advance to get a seat away from the lively areas, these things are easier in hindsight.

Now the transfer window is over and team is away it may be that a simple letter explaining what happened and pledging your allegiance to the club may have more effect.

What exactly would you like the club to do to resolve the issue?

David McNally has this line under his twitter pic:

"Any NCFC customer service query will be answered by the next working day"

How any Norwich fan can subsequently be criticised for directing customer service queries to David McNally is beyond me..... either he does answer customer queries or he doesn''t. If he doesn''t want to, then he best remove that line.

It could be as simple as bad timing, think about the workload over Christmas and transfer window weeks, the original query might just have got buried under a sea of tweets, and mails during a crazy busy time.

I''m sure, given clear thinking time and a measured approach, that McNally / the club would give a positive response.

@number 9

Regardless of the fact that standing is actually against the law and I believe that Norwich are under threat of a capacity reduction for it, I do not expect the club to stop people who are standing in their position where they are normally seated.

However - I do expect that club to stop people standing in the aisles and in communal areas which is what was happening here.

And I certainty expect the stewards and / or police to step in if a group of fans are attacking another one.

What did I expect from the club? I don''t really know but an acknowledgement at least would have been nice. And not to have the CEO lie about me to 17000 people on twitter would have been good as well.

Reading your words, it sounds like a very emotive situation, I''m convinced that a well written letter to the club / McNally would be effective. This would enable you to think clearly about phrasing and the tone so to take some of the emotion out of it and identify the key facts of what happened without getting into personal attacks on anybody.

Good luck anyway whatever you decide to do, please don''t turn your back on our team.

[quote user="Theoriginalsupersub"]It was to do with standing. We couldn''t go where our first choice would have been (The Jarrold - which is where my season ticket usually is) and the only place where we could get the number of seats together that we needed was in the Lower Barclay.

I will be honest and say that I hadn''t truly thought the standing issue through.

Anyway it very quickly became clear that everyone was going to stand, and my Dad was unable to do so due to nerve damage in his feet. I personally know what an emotive issue standing is - and I do believe that a standing area should be provided.

I didn''t want to cause a fuss so we moved him to the right end of the row so he could at least see most of the pitch.

This was fine until about 15 mins from the end when a group of five young lads came down from the back and stood behind one of the exits (by the barrier?). This obstructed my Dad completely and he couldn''t see a thing. He politely asked them to move to be told to "f**k off you stupid old c**t" and it all kind of kicked off from there and I got attacked when I defended him.

I stree again that I have no problems with standing which is why we moved him rather tha cause a fuss.[/quote]I''m going to take a (perhaps unfair) assumption here, and this that you''re the liar, not McNally.Because i do not believe the only place you could get a number of seats together was the one place it''s hardest to get tickets and has a large % of season ticket holders.Just sayin''

[quote user="Number 9"]Reading your words, it sounds like a very emotive situation, I''m convinced that a well written letter to the club / McNally would be effective. This would enable you to think clearly about phrasing and the tone so to take some of the emotion out of it and identify the key facts of what happened without getting into personal attacks on anybody.

Good luck anyway whatever you decide to do, please don''t turn your back on our team.[/quote]

Good advice, I was going to write a similar post.   Emails can easily disappear - letters tend to be put in a pile to be worked through and are better for official complaints - or will at least get seen and handed on to the right person. 

Al fans should be regarded as valuable customers and NCFC should look after each and every one of them.   Poor customer service is a serious problem for businesses -  its McNally''s job to make sure it is a good service.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Reasonable Canary"]

I think it''s hilarious that people go to McNally with such trivial problems. What is the thought process with these people.

It''s like buying a focus and then asking the CEO of Ford for a quote on a service. Complete weirdos.

[/quote]

[Y]

[/quote]

Have you changed your opinion of our CEO then Tilly?

[/quote]

Not at all Butler but i find it interesting that you are reading a thread about Twitter unless of course you have changed your opinion with regard to Twitter and Facebook which is how the club now choose to communicate with fans.Some of us old uns have moved with the times whilst others still live in yesterdays world and subsequently left behind.

The point i was making is that no matter how you regard our CEO the juvenile tweets he gets do not warrant anyone on £1 million a year spending their valuable time answering questions a trained monkey could respond to.

[quote user="Theoriginalsupersub"]I should also add that extremely reluctantly this whole incident has made me decide to cancel my season ticket. I just feel totally,let down by the club. Lets not even consider the fact that when I did go in to the club that afternoon, their official parking provider slapped a £100 charge for parking on my car even though I wasn''t even on their land! Guess they had to pay for the Abu Dhabi trip somehow :([/quote]

It sounds as though you have been treated abysmally and I can quite understand your reaction to McNasty''s inaction. I can''t understand why he has been so unhelpful to you, though. His response seems completely inept and unprofessional.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Reasonable Canary"]

I think it''s hilarious that people go to McNally with such trivial problems. What is the thought process with these people.

It''s like buying a focus and then asking the CEO of Ford for a quote on a service. Complete weirdos.

[/quote]

[Y]

[/quote]

Have you changed your opinion of our CEO then Tilly?

[/quote]

Not at all Butler but i find it interesting that you are reading a thread about Twitter unless of course you have changed your opinion with regard to Twitter and Facebook which is how the club now choose to communicate with fans.Some of us old uns have moved with the times whilst others still live in yesterdays world and subsequently left behind.

The point i was making is that no matter how you regard our CEO the juvenile tweets he gets do not warrant anyone on £1 million a year spending their valuable time answering questions a trained monkey could respond to.

[/quote]

No I haven''t changed my opinion as to the inherent dangers of both, time will tell if I am right or wrong.

I have spent most of my life working on tomorrows technology..so ahead rather than behind.

If I want to talk to someone I  care about I pick up a phone, or visit.

Don''t need my life plastered all over cyber space for all.

Pleased to see that Lapps leasons have helped you.

I agree about a waste of our CEO''s time , BUT when you put yourself in that position that''s what you will get, see first line above.[;)]

I think some of you need to take a look at yourselves. McNally saved us from financial ruin with his debt managment and you are talking about him like he is Simon Clegg.

Some of you lot are a proper embarressment to our support base.

McNally gets his fair share of credit, whilst Bowkett doesn''t get anywhere near enough. His achievements at Norwich are almost universally acknowledged, that doesn''t mean that we have to go all soppy and offer to suck his rod.

[quote user="Reasonable Canary"]

I think some of you need to take a look at yourselves. McNally saved us from financial ruin with his debt managment and you are talking about him like he is Simon Clegg.

[/quote]

I think you will find that it was Mr. Bowkett who negotiated the deal that saved us from hitting Administration and it was Mr McNally who cut some of the costs that needed cutting.

Theoroginalsupersub (I would have used the acronym but as with your twitter post it highlights a certain internet naivity).  Anyway, I do apologise for my OP - not knowing the full facts and diving straight in with a rant has laid me open to a certain one-eyed view.  I certainly would be upset if my e-mail had not been answered in a reasonable time.  You were right to pursue an alternative route. 

However (and the following might be teaching some to suck eggs) Twitter is not a route to take things higher unless you can capture everything within 140 characters (or in your case add an attachment of your original complaint which would have been my start point).  McNally, being a public figure, probably receives 100''s of tweet notifications an hour (even if not all are directed at him).  Thus some of his responses will look quite frankly rude because he just doesn''t have that many hours in the day to respond properly (that''s the thing about twitter - grammar and politeness go out the window with less than 140 characters and a coupla of hundred of tweets to review). 

I beleive I am right Macnally''s favoured vehicle for twitter is a smart phone not his PC.  This has two implications for anyone trying to converse with him on twitter.  The first is that if you try and raise a subject in two posts, he might actually only read one of them, because the way they enter his twitter box is most recent first.  He probably only saw your one about going public - if you read something like that out of context it probably would make your blood boil.  That is why (and it would be my advice to McNally) I always open the twitter account up when I see a ridiculously aggressive post (and yours would have looked like this in isolation) to see if there was anything that had lead up to the tweet.  The second issue, which is probably why he did not do further research on your tweet, is that he will be looking at his twitter feed in those five minutes between meetings, whilst waiting for someone at a resturant, or god forbid the thought whilst sitting on the bog.  No-one is going to give a rounded response in such circumstances or probably go the extra mile to research thigns.  But the compulsion to respond in some form is there.  Usually McNally gives at least a bit of thought to responses to his "official" Q&A sessions - your post I think caught him on the hop!  Then turning up at the club and mentioning a twitter exchange re-awakened the feelings he had on originally reading your tweet - again I think the information he was fed by his colleagues was short of the truth.

None of this is to excuse McNally, he really needs to step up his game on twitter, although unfortunately this will probably be more of him just copying in various depts of the club whilst not commenting himself - this will make very boring twitter interaction. 

However, whilst agreeing with your underlying position; please don''t take this the wrong way.   I would argue your expectations of twitter are too high, you tried to get a reaction but lo, it backfired on you and more importantly for all of us, your feelings toward our beloved football club.  I have no influence on McNally, but if Sports Desk Pete is reading, perhaps he can give some consideration on how to broach McNally''s twitter use via an article or something - hearing the press sniff around about it might mean McNally thinks a bit more about it - others have tried to educate him on Twitter but have failed to make the point eloquently within 140 characters! 

Anyway, let us know if your original complaint is dealt with.  Again I am not sure what you have asked for from the club - at this remove I cannot see how they can really compensate other than acknowledge there was an issue.

[quote user="Skijumptoes"]I''m not saying he ''needs'' to, but he''s probably interested in supporting her, especially as she''s working her way through media (I think).

And sure, most people communicate with friends and family via twitter, right? I can''t see what''s unusual about that.

There''s family members that i follow and it''s nice seeing their trivial day to day comments, what they''re up to etc., when i wouldn''t necessarily be phoning them each day.... Let alone bringing up the subject of what they may post on twitter.[/quote]Do they ? From my hazy understanding of it people write things on there it''s open to read by everyone and his dog and somehow you end up being '' followed ''. Sounds creepy. Surely people want privacy when communicating to their family ? In which case why not just send a text message ?

Cheers Tangy - always prepared to take the criticism - once my blood cools down!!!  I''m still scratching my head over how I upset you so - grammar must have been bad that day!!

[quote user="Reasonable Canary"]McNally Commands huge respect. Why don''t you morons go back to bashing Andrew Surman or whatever it is you do.[/quote]

Steady on!

There have certainly been so,e interesting views posted on this thread and some very balanced ones too.

I personally have said more than I ever meant to on here, as I originally only planned to come on and defend myself and leave it like that.

I will also reiterate that I have the greatest of respect for what the man has achieved in his professional life. This does not mean that I feel he could not have handled this better. I have actually even met him once, although I am sure he won''t remember it :D

Anyway I have now had some communication from the club and we will talk. They have not asked me to refrain from commenting publically any further (which Im quite pleased about) but for the sake of decency I am not at this stage going to make any further comments.

I have defended myself - some will believe me, some won''t. That is the nature of the beast.

There seems to be some decent people on here so maybe I''ll stick around and comment elsewhere. I may say more at a later juncture but for now, lets see what happens.