Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

"In'tertainment" and Bor's Book-Reading Protest

Now perhaps one of you young ''uns can tell me this.  Why oh why oh why are we going to play at home against a poor old team like Fulham, and only have the one striker up front, and a poor, out of form and overweight striker at that?  Upon my life, old Bor would rather poke his eyes out with a cocktail stick than watch the "football" we play at Carrow Road these days.  I''ve got my ticket in the Jarrold Stand and I reckon I ought to be looking forward to a nice day out and some entertainment but under Houghton I''ve got to say that''s like watching squit dry most of the time.

What I would like Houghton to do is start with three up front and really get into them from the start.  Never mind a little scrimmage, we ought to be having a massive old scrimmage in their half for the first thirty minutes, get three goals up and then protect the lead.  But have Houghton''s coaches got their thinking heads on enough to do something imaginiative?  No.  Deadwood and Trollop will have coached us into lumping it up to Holty all afternnon.

So you lovely old boys on here talk about "hinvestment" and "hinvestors." I got to tell you now that we ought to be protesting about "in''tertainment," i.e. that in''t entertaining to watch these players in this system under this manager.

That''s time something was done.  Bor is taking a good old book with him this afternoon and if you watch Match of the Day when the ball goes out for a throw in by the halfway line, look about twelve rows up in the crowd to see an old boy in a donkey jacket reading a paperback.  That''s me, and that''s my protest.  I tell you what, lose today and we''re relegated already and that in''t acceptable.  Draw today and we''re probably relegated and all.  Win, and we in''t out of it.  Them clowns in that technical area want to wake up and smell the fear.

So what I want from you lot is support in this.  I reckon everyone wants to take a book with ''em today and should start reading it rather than watching the old match.  You could be out there on that wide old ocean with Ishmael, catching that great white whale, rather than watching old Holty jogging about, and that''s just one book out of literally thousands. When those joyless old buggers stood in that technical area look out at us all reading away, they''ll soon get the message and changes will be made, you got to trust old Bor on this.

If you want to be part of this, post on here what book you are taking and we could get a little lending library going and all.  Maybe a book discussion group, I in''t got that far yet but you got to start somewhere.

i would be in but i''m not going, i had a look on line yesterday and it was £45 quid to sit on my own or £35 for me and my lad to sit behind a floodlight pylon... i suppose i could take a book and sit behind the pylon but i may as well do it in front of the laptop ... if i was going it would be whizzer and chips annual 1979...  OTBC

Well done BBB,  a clever attempt at a good moan about just about everything in one go.    Did you enjoy the Lambert era, I wonder?     I was watching the Sunderland home game from last season  yesterday - do you know how Lambert played it?   451, with Hoolahan playing just off the striker - Bennet/Pilks out wide and Fox Johnson holding midfield.    Not so very different ay?    

I  wouldn''t bother to go if that''s how you feel. 

I do, in part, see your point Bor, so I''ll join you, if I can find my copy of "Ring of Bright Water"

It''s got a Holt in it, where those nice Otters live, a nice river surrounded by (Snod)grass with Bass(ong) and Rudd swimming around. Might even see a few (House)Martins nesting in the little cottage, or is that only at Fulham?

The Karmasutra, in honour of our new American Indian loan striker. (note 2 self: check KK name & origin b4 posting)

Flitting between that and ''How to Tame a Wild Bore and Other Facts of Life With Lewis: The Semi-True Confessions of the Third Mrs. Grizzard'' by Kathy Grizzard Schmook. Just found it on a well-known tax-dodging online bookseller''s site.

[quote user="super canary"]The man has a point. 4-3-3 would be nice today. Holt, becchio and snodders in a front 3.[/quote]

What is his point?  That he can''t accept things as they are.  That''s his point.  Once again we get that false image coming across that we are defensive minded.   It ain''t true.   We have a better defence that''s true especially when Bassong is in there - so we don''t let in so many goals - a major plus point I would have thought. 

Then you have the players in front of the defence.   I suggest that some apologists look back at some of Lambert''s teams last season - they would find 451 with Holt or Morison with Hoolahan just behind them.    We also had some very dour matches last season too.    We''re not Manchester or Liverpool with their resources - why can''t people understand that?    So some that want "int''tainment"  I suggest they put their books away, wake up and smell the coffee.   

This team is a work in progress.   Hughton has largely tightened up the backline  - and the midfield/front is developing - with new players coming in.

Impatience is the word that comes to mind.   People want it all yesterday.    I''ve got news for you - yesterday has been and gone - and yesterday wasn''t all it was cracked up to be (don''t forget the trial and error tactics, weak defence).     We are moving on - and that takes time.   

Right Bor, I''m up for this and I suspect some members of our blanket library already have a book under their blankets with their hotwater bottles. My choice is Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome. I want to try to understand how life in the lakes can affect ones thinking. With the likelihood of rain I will of course put it in a plastic cover.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Right Bor, I''m up for this and I suspect some members of our blanket library already have a book under their blankets with their hotwater bottles. My choice is Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome. I want to try to understand how life in the lakes can affect ones thinking. With the likelihood of rain I will of course put it in a plastic cover.

[/quote]

The lakes are beautiful at this time of year.    They help you to see things how they are, not just go along with whatever the wind blows in.  Bor''s thread is a blatant moan about everything that is happening at the club, players, management and structure of the club.   All dressed up in a nice neat package designed to draw us all in.   Take the blinkers off and you would see that - or perhaps you don''t want to see that.   

Ok, I''ll play too, my book would be "Are my Blinkers Showing" (yes, it does exist).

"nulli secundus"Would take ''One Shot'' by Lee Child.

I shouldn''t really laugh,but that is good.:-)

Splendid idea, Bor.  I shall sit in Barclay Block B, row T, and read "Animal Farm" by George Orwell.However, it will be really annoying when those inconsiderates around me want to get their half time pie or leave early - I will keep having to re-read the same paragraph.

An excellent result today - old Bor got ninety four pages under his belt and reckon I missed nothing on the pitch at all.  That''s quite an expensive place to read, but hopefully old Bor proved a point today and my neighbours who asked what I was doing at the start of the match will bring their own books next time.  And a nice blanket too.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]An excellent result today - old Bor got ninety four pages under his belt and reckon I missed nothing on the pitch at all.  That''s quite an expensive place to read, but hopefully old Bor proved a point today and my neighbours who asked what I was doing at the start of the match will bring their own books next time.  And a nice blanket too.[/quote]

You grizzly old scrote,  if its so bad why don''t you give up your season ticket and let someone on the waiting list have a go....................

[quote user="lake district canary"]You grizzly old scrote,  if its so bad why don''t you give up your season ticket and let someone on the waiting list have a go....................[/quote][quote user="lake district canary"]All I want is respect for all fans.  We are all fans.  That should be all that matters.  [/quote]Well, there we have it.Bor, I got to page six of Animal Farm.  Worth remembering that all fans are equal, but apparently some fans are more equal than others.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]You grizzly old scrote,  if its so bad why don''t you give up your season ticket and let someone on the waiting list have a go....................[/quote][quote user="lake district canary"]All I want is respect for all fans.  We are all fans.  That should be all that matters.  [/quote]Well, there we have it.Bor, I got to page six of Animal Farm.  Worth remembering that all fans are equal, but apparently some fans are more equal than others.[/quote]Fantastic.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]You grizzly old scrote,  if its so bad why don''t you give up your season ticket and let someone on the waiting list have a go....................[/quote][quote user="lake district canary"]All I want is respect for all fans.  We are all fans.  That should be all that matters.  [/quote]Well, there we have it.Bor, I got to page six of Animal Farm.  Worth remembering that all fans are equal, but apparently some fans are more equal than others.[/quote]Fantastic. [/quote]

I respect Bor Bor Bor totally -  grizzly old scrote is a term of affection meant in the nicest possible way [A] [A]

Well, that''s not getting any better as far as old Bor can tell and I reckon if the fare at Carrow Road gets any worse then Bor will be giving his seat to a homeless person.  Today''s book is "Tropic of Capricorn" by Henry Miller so that should get the old blood pumping even if all around me are comatose.