Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Gary Hooper solution

Again for a few million he is worth it but rwp and that level of quality is what we should be going for hooper would relish the prem but it is a lot of money for a player who I think has a limited value.

Amazing what a bit of distance and perspective can do. On February 1st all and sundry were slagging McNally off for not pushing the boat out and paying whatever it took to bring in this marquee signing. I said at the time I trusted McNally to be wise with our money and not risk it on over inflated January window prices. Once again, he has come good.

I tend to agree and had my concerns about Hoopers price in January, he''s worth half of what Celtic want for him....and that''s the dilema, to Celtic he is worth 8 million, to a premeirship club his real value is far less.

Given he only has one year to go on his contract and his drop off in form since January, I doubt there will be too many clubs knocking on Celtics door this summer, in my opinion.

dpit the January transfer window frenzy really is a complete and utter nonsense. It gives sky tv something to big up and an illusion of excitement in mid winter for large numbers of fans. It actually means so little and the way in which player values are unrealistically inflated makes the whole thing a serious banana skin, especially for clubs like us that need to spend our money really wisely. I don''t want to judge Hoopers abilities on seeing him in a couple of CL games but what must be pretty clear is that at the moment £8 million would be way overpriced.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]of course we can always wait until he has 6 months left on his contract and get him on a "bosman" pre contract agreement...

if it doesnt work out Cash in, if it does goals galore and we havent had to pay for him...

Celtic would be royally screwed but who cares about them
[/quote]

Can players not only sign a pre-contract when they are over a certain age, which I thought was 28 or something similar... But then again, I may be getting confused with when they can buy out the remainder of a contract...

Has scored one goal in six matches since end of January, most of those games against poor opposition - what a let-off!Did the transfer window hassle put him off his game?Celtic will be paying us to take him at this rate.

He was very poor in the game against Juventus last night. And even the more appealing Kris Commons (my view from his performance in the first leg against Juve) looked very ordinary.

From what I saw in the first leg and in flashes last night Kris Commons could play the Wes role just off the main striker. Though if he, like Hooper, was trying to put himself in the shop window last night, he failed.