Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Gary Hooper solution

The kind of money being discussed is obscene!

It is all Celtic hype

Solution would be to keep "stum" until 10:30 - then offer a "take it or leave it" offer along the lines of what we 1st offered

Celtic then have a problem - do they cash in now or do they see their attempt at producing a bidding war back fire?

In all honesty, I really don''t think this deal should continue

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]

The kind of money being discussed is obscene!

It is all Celtic hype

Solution would be to keep "stum" until 10:30 - then offer a "take it or leave it" offer along the lines of what we 1st offered

Celtic then have a problem - do they cash in now or do they see their attempt at producing a bidding war back fire?

In all honesty, I really don''t think this deal should continue

[/quote]
They rejected it when they had time to replace him, they have no need to sell, why on earth would they not dismiss this scenario out of hand? They wouldn''t even bother replying to that bid I wouldnt imagine.

I''m glad we''re not giving in to them. Not even worth 6 million. We''l get him in the summer dont worry!

[quote user="Nick"]I''m glad we''re not giving in to them. Not even worth 6 million. We''l get him in the summer dont worry![/quote]

He wont want to join a championship club

The OP seems to be ignoring the central point here - Celtic. Do. Not. Want. To. Sell.It seems to have been made apparent to Norwich that the asking price is £8m, otherwise forget it. The word coming out of Parkhead is Norwich keep returning with bids in £250k increments. Which is mental. On a 5th bid now. It''s probably time to take the hint - either pay up or forget it. What a farce!

My mate has just been text by Gary Hoopers father that he will not be joining us. Bit gutted but that was as of 5pm so you never know if we come up with the right price later this evening. I know he prefers us over Spurs as he feels he will get more of a chance to play with us....come on city dig deep

A player putting in a transfer request means they lose a ''loyalty'' bonus - these are generally a fairly large chunk of cash. If he puts in the request and Celtic refuse and he still doesn''t leave it was a very expensive day for him.

[quote user="mr lister"]

One big question I have and have not seen a comment on is, Does Hooper want to leave Celtic? If he does I think he would have put in a transfer request by now.

[/quote]

It''s highly unlikely we''d have been so persistent if he didn''t want to come.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="mr lister"]

One big question I have and have not seen a comment on is, Does Hooper want to leave Celtic? If he does I think he would have put in a transfer request by now.

[/quote]

[/quote]Exactly and Celtic do want to do business,

Otherwise it would have been dismissed and that would have been the end of it

[quote user="mr lister"]

Ah ok fair do''s, but do you lot think he wants out?

[/quote]The view at Celtic is he wants to play in the EPL but is not in a hurry to do so before the summer. He certainly hasn''t requested a transfer and has continued being a model pro throughout January.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="mr lister"]

[/quote]

Otherwise it would have been dismissed and that would have been the end of it[/quote]It has been dismissed. 4 times now.Celtic have a price, Norwich know it, Norwich haven''t come near it. End of story.

[quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="mr lister"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly and Celtic do want to do business,

[/quote]

It has been dismissed. 4 times now.

Celtic have a price, Norwich know it, Norwich haven''t come near it. End of story.
[/quote]

Yes dear, we all know that.

The point is, Celtic have a price, therefor are prepared to do business. Whether we are prepared, or able, to do business at that price is another issue.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="mr lister"]

[/quote]

Otherwise it would have been dismissed and that would have been the end of it[/quote]It has been dismissed. 4 times now.Celtic have a price, Norwich know it, Norwich haven''t come near it. End of story.[/quote]

The point is, Celtic have a price, therefor are prepared to do business. Whether we are prepared, or able, to do business at that price is another issue.

[/quote]All clubs have price for players. Nobody''s unsellable these days.You seem to think there''s a negotiation here. There isn''t. Celtic have a fee. Meet it or forget about it. You''d think being knocked back 4 times now might have woken your board up to this.

[quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="mr lister"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Celtic have a price, Norwich know it, Norwich haven''t come near it. End of story.
[/quote]

[/quote]

All clubs have price for players. Nobody''s unsellable these days.

You seem to think there''s a negotiation here. There isn''t. Celtic have a fee. Meet it or forget about it. You''d think being knocked back 4 times now might have woken your board up to this.
[/quote]

Can''t blame them for trying. If he''s a player they want and they can''t afford your valuation. Either way, looks like something is about to happen at Celtic Park, if Twitter is anything to go by he''s heading to White Hart Lane.

[quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="mr lister"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You seem to think there''s a negotiation here. There isn''t. Celtic have a fee. Meet it or forget about it. You''d think being knocked back 4 times now might have woken your board up to this.
[/quote]

Celtic clearly want to move Hooper on because otherwise they would have totally different reactions on what has transpired to date. Additionally, they are astute enough to realise this is the peak time for them to maximise what they can get. If he''s not sold in this window they realise their negotiating strength will, in all probability, drop from this point on. They then will be faced with a choicve of selling Hooper for less money than they hope to get currently or offer Hooper a significant improvement to his contract to entice him to stay. They clearly don''t want to do the latter or they would have already done so, removing all the disruption so they can get on with Champions League preparation in a more controlled environment. No, my friend, Celtic are clearly a selling club on this one and others that have an interest in Hooper had a price to begin with and are reluctant to get into a bidding war paying ove rthe odds for someone who has yet to prove that he can perform every week against top calibre opposition rathe rthan many of the tinpot clubs he plays against currently. 

Fourth Official ‏@FourthOfficial_

Norwich have made a 5th bid of £9.2million for Hooper, they have overtaken Spurs as favourites again at 5/2 http://bit.ly/112q6jx

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="mr lister"]

[/quote]

Otherwise it would have been dismissed and that would have been the end of it[/quote]It has been dismissed. 4 times now.Celtic have a price, Norwich know it, Norwich haven''t come near it. End of story.[/quote]

[/quote]All clubs have price for players. Nobody''s unsellable these days.You seem to think there''s a negotiation here. There isn''t. Celtic have a fee. Meet it or forget about it. You''d think being knocked back 4 times now might have woken your board up to this.[/quote]

Celtic clearly want to move Hooper on because otherwise they would have totally different reactions on what has transpired to date. Additionally, they are astute enough to realise this is the peak time for them to maximise what they can get. If he''s not sold in this window they realise their negotiating strength will, in all probability, drop from this point on. They then will be faced with a choicve of selling Hooper for less money than they hope to get currently or offer Hooper a significant improvement to his contract to entice him to stay. They clearly don''t want to do the latter or they would have already done so, removing all the disruption so they can get on with Champions League preparation in a more controlled environment. No, my friend, Celtic are clearly a selling club on this one and others that have an interest in Hooper had a price to begin with and are reluctant to get into a bidding war paying ove rthe odds for someone who has yet to prove that he can perform every week against top calibre opposition rathe rthan many of the tinpot clubs he plays against currently. 

[/quote]Tinpot clubs? It would stand better to you to show other clubs a little respect. After all there will be plenty of supports in England who will be more than happy to label little old Norwich a ''tinpot club''. Celtic have issued a statement saying Hooper will not be leaving the club tonight. So much for your "Celtic are clearly a selling club on this one". Such a shame, your smugness was almost convincing for  a moment.

[quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="IrishCelt67"][quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="mr lister"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Tinpot clubs? It would stand better to you to show other clubs a little respect. After all there will be plenty of supports in England who will be more than happy to label little old Norwich a ''tinpot club''.

Celtic have issued a statement saying Hooper will not be leaving the club tonight.

So much for your "Celtic are clearly a selling club on this one". Such a shame, your smugness was almost convincing for  a moment.
[/quote]

Look, I can understand you being a little sensitive to what I wrote but facts tend to have that effect on those with thin skins. I was using the term "tinpot clubs" to illustrate what Hooper is facing week in and week out. Many of the clubs Celtic face in the Scottich Premiership ( hic ) have attendances that are usually in the range of 3000 to 4000 per match. This barely matches teams operating at the 4th level in English football. Good luck to those team at what they need to do, however, they are operating on budgets that barely exceed tinpot status, so they are not in a position to recruit or pay for quality players. With respect to Celtic being a selling club on the Hooper situation, they clearly are or they would have put the matter to bed long before now. As I said previously, they were doing all they could to generate a bidding war with Norwich and Spurs being the main participants. Spurs apparently were not interested enough and so, what Celtic were hoping for, did not materialise. Even if Celtic hold to their guns through this window I stand by what I said previously. Their peak negotiating position was in this window, not the next one, so let''s all keep our powder dry and see what he eventually goes for.

Well, whichever way you look at it, both IrishCelt67 and I are happy bunnies tonight with a win-win situation - Gary Hooper not leaving Celtic ...... and not arriving at Carrow Road!

Wanting that sort of money for an unproven player in a "proper" league just beggared belief!

In terms of Celtic not being a selling club - was their failed bid for Championship player, Kevin Doyle, a back up in case somebody did actually cough up the silly money being asked for?

Now of course, Celtic will either have to offer Hooper a new deal - which he has already refused to accept - or accept that he will leave in the summer for a fraction of what they were asking for. I suspect that Celtic''s negotiating team didn''t do themselves any favours - especially the way that news of alleged additional bids mysteriously appeared in the  media. Meanwhile David McNally''s stock has risen considerably!

Finally, to paraphrase Jim White of SSN - "I''m cock-a-hoop that Hoop has not left the Hoops"!

For those that have the time and inclination we have another opportunity in a few minutes to see whether Gary Hooper can cut it against top quality opposition. This is what he would need to do if he joins us ( or another English Premier eague team ). Will he enhance the value that Celtic were placing on him earlier or detract from it?

of course we can always wait until he has 6 months left on his contract and get him on a "bosman" pre contract agreement...if it doesnt work out Cash in, if it does goals galore and we havent had to pay for him...Celtic would be royally screwed but who cares about them

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

For those that have the time and inclination we have another opportunity in a few minutes to see whether Gary Hooper can cut it against top quality opposition. This is what he would need to do if he joins us ( or another English Premier eague team ). Will he enhance the value that Celtic were placing on him earlier or detract from it?

[/quote]

Nope, thought not!

Hopefully this will finally close the final chapter of the Hooper saga - interesting reading whilst it lasted, but not worth reading again!