Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Is Harry Kane the worst striker in NCFC history?

he has been pretty disappointing, but i think its unfair to call him the worst......just off the top of my head dean coney, henryk mortensen, keith scott, antoine sibierski, chris brown, mike sheron, ade akinbiyi, and trevor benjamin were all worse and im sure i could add alot more if i could be bothered to think for 10 minutes.

And to be fair, he was one of the better players yesterday in the first half,

Can I add the following strikers (as they call themselves)...

Drewe Broughton (He''s had 13 permenant clubs and 11 loan spells, the true definition of journeyman)

Gaetano Giallanza (Serious injury in his first couple of games and never recovered)

Mike Sheron (Just crap from day 1, but had been decent at previous clubs)

Carl Cort (Roeders ace up his sleeve)

Maceo Rigters (Arrived with a big reputation and massive potential, got injured in his first or second game, and disappeared off the planet)

Let''s be realistic here, he is only 19 years old, played in total less than 50 senior games and scored only 13 goals. Only 6 of which were in the Premier League, 5 with us. He was never going to be the striker we needed, but from what I''ve seen I think he will go on to be a good footballer, his movement on the ball at times is excellent, the real issue here is we don''t have time for him to get up to speed, build confidence and get that first crucial goal.
To say he''s the worst though is very harsh on such a young player that clearly is talented.

We''ve had our fair share of bad strikers over the years.

Dean Coney has to be right up there, one goal, with his arse...  and even that came about trying to avoid being hit by a clearance !!

Neale Fenn I remember being here on loan and failing to impress and as for ''up and coming'' strikers, Akinbiyi never really made it with us.

However, they all got at least one...  Is Kane likely to join that club?

[quote user="kingsway"]

[="K Lo"]The worst striker in NCFC history?Ladies & Gentlemen, give up for...Darren Beckford.

Beckford did score goals for us even if he was a flop!

I remember the hat trick he got against Everton at home in March 1992.

Beckford scored 11 goals in his 1st season for us then about 4-5 the next until he was sold to Oldham towards the end of the season!

Those stats makes him far from the worst striker in our history and is probably much, much more than what Harry Kane will ever do for Norwich City!

[/quote]Maybe my opinion of him is scewed by the fact that we paid nearly a million quid for him back in 1991. Whereas many of our loan strikers that have been flops clearly wouldn''t have had that magnitude of financial waste.

[quote user="jim blair"]I was the worst striker ever to play for norwich and not even Harry Kane can take that away from me[/quote]

Absolutely, but personally I never liked Laurie Sheffield!

[quote user="Muffles"]

We''ve had our fair share of bad strikers over the years.

Dean Coney has to be right up there, one goal, with his arse...  and even that came about trying to avoid being hit by a clearance !!

Neale Fenn I remember being here on loan and failing to impress and as for ''up and coming'' strikers, Akinbiyi never really made it with us.

However, they all got at least one...  Is Kane likely to join that club?

[/quote]

Neal Fenn - I remember the clamour from posters on here to sign him up.

Jim Blair Good call anyone who was at our first appearance at Wembley will remember how bad he was, and by the way he was signed a good year befor Saunders left.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]Strihavka managed to score at least one goal for us.[/quote]Yes, but to be fair it required Dublin to pick him up and put him in place in the corner, then help him jump and direct his header in.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Budapest Canary"]Strihavka managed to score at least one goal for us.
[/quote]

Yes, but to be fair it required Dublin to pick him up and put him in place in the corner, then help him jump and direct his header in.
[/quote]

Talking about that did anyone else see Declan Rudd tell Harry Kane where to stand for Luton''s first corner? The ball went straight to Kane and he cleared it.

Not the worst by a country mile as his best days are ahead of him. Whether they be in the PL is open to doubt atm. His effort was there on Saturday, but I thought he looked a bit cumbersome at times.

A massive disappointment for us and a ghastly mistake and abuse of funds by CH.

The only saving grace for that decision is that we might have seen more quality from the youngster had it not been for his untimely injury. Too late now though ....................  return him, if possible.

Has everybody forgotten Keith Scott?

A man mountain with limited ball skills unless it was in the air. He was about twenty years out of date even when we "acquired" him.

I did see him score a goal (headed) for us away at St. Andrews where he put in a typical old fashioned centr-forward shift. I had been unimpressed with him prior to that though.

My friend, a Spurs supporter and supposedly used to actual footballers, singled him out as being useful. My friend was however a traditionalist whose favourite Tottenham player was ''Rocket'' Ronnie Rosenthal, so says it all really.

I used to like Beckford. Far from the worst.

Cottee

Sheron

Coote

Strihavka

Brown (one of our most infuritating players ever)

Thorne

They all stand out to me as having been worse for us than Beckford ever was.

Maybe we need some lateral thinking. Try someone like Leon Barnett upfront in training. You never know. Worked for us with Chris Sutton, afterall.

That said, I remember us playing with Russell as a striker. Desperate times. He was certainly no Tim Sherwood/Rob Newman when it came to goalscoring.

Kane looks slightly out of his depth maybe, but it''s obvious he''s got ability which I''m sure come to the fore in the coming years at Spurs or wherever else. (He''s got technique at his disposal but little product) Our situation however doesn''t allow us to develop someone else''s work in progress. But having watching Spurs yesterday, I''d say Kane is better than Obika would''ve been. That said, our own forwards (Holt/Morison/Jackson) are hardly covering themselves in glory right now.

I think it''s well OTT to talk about him as the worst striker in our history, he''s barely played for us.

I didn''t see the game Saturday but I was at Upton Park when he played for 70 minutes against a decent Prem defence.  I agree with the comments that he has some ability and potential, but in that game he showed a complete lack of self-belief - I thought he didn''t feel entitled to be on the pitch.  He looked tentative and didn''t really even try to compete physically, although he wasn''t quite as bad after half time.

So there''s no way we can invest the game time to let him establish himself this season, I''d much rather have Vaughan in the squad.  Frankly if Kane was one of our permanent squad we''d send him out on loan like Ayala etc !

I wouldn''t criticise the signing by Hughton back in August as it was worth a punt when whoever else we were trying to land fell through.  Just a punt that hasn''t worked out.

It''s a matter of opinion. A striker''s main function is to score goals. No NCFC striker is standing out on that front so far this season. Our top scorer is a mid-fielder.

I recall many people said of Jackson''s hat-trick in 20 mins against Scunthorpe that anyone can score a hat-trick against Scunthorpe.

On that premis, anyone should be able to score against Luton.

That is anyone except Jackson and Holt because they''d already scored the hat-tricks any one could score against Scunthorpe[:S]

Well, we can figure that Jimmy Blair certainly didn''t score for us against Scunthorpe because he couldn''t register a solitary goal for us in any of his six appearances!

Bet not many of you know that he was a Belgian; yep, born and died in Belgium. And just look how Belgians are cock of the walk in the Prem these days.

Anyway, quite what Sir Arthur South and the Board made of this particular recruit of the great Ron Saunders not many of us know. But evidently according to Crafty there is a story there that may well be interesting to hear.

OTBC

Well I''d be interested to hear the story because it seems that Crafty and Babes are great story tellers. Jim Blair was born in Calderbank nr Airdrie and was signed from St Mirren (for whom he''d scored 64 goals) under Geoffrey Watling''s chairmanship. He had previously played for Hibs. He did score for Norwich, against St Johnstone in the Texaco Cup. He also managed to fit 2 cup finals in his 352 minute canary career. He went to Belgium in 1974 where he carved out a decent career. It seems the only place he failed was at Norwich. Football sometimes works out that way.

Lapps

How about actually expressing an opinion of your own rather than diggging up a bunch of old threads to ''lol'' at others?

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/lqWtDgl"><a href="//imgur.com/lqWtDgl"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don’t normally have time for this digging up of old threads, but some of the comments on this one with hindsight are hilarious. The what sort of future he has at Spurs was a particular favourite! Who’d have thought on what he produced here he would go on to be Europe’s top goal scorer in a calendar year and a World Cup golden boot winner!?

If this original post had been on Twitter it would''ve been deleted by now.

In fairness I think most of us thought he was a duffer based on what we saw of him in yellow, which was very little thanks to his injury.

When people started saying how good he was I thought it was a joke...