Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

I wonder if Hughton would dare to on Saturday?

I wonder if Hughton would dare to start with two shorter, swifter mobile forwards who have earned a chance?

Simeon Jackson as the point man with Elliot Bennett tucked in behind? Or as the 2 in a 422 if he wanted to be even more daring.

ManCity do it with Aguero and Tevez sometimes - for example.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Simeon Jackson as the point man with Elliot Bennett tucked in behind? ManCity do it with Aguero and Tevez sometimes - for example.[/quote]Wow! Comparing Jackson and Bennett with Aguero and Tevez.....That''s some good ganga you''ve got today Bly. [:D]

Nope I agree, I''d start them. Not in said positions though, 442 diamond with usual defence. Snoddy on the right, bennet on the left with Hoolahan behind Jackson and Kane. Sounds lethal - kind of like a tribal spear that we could cut and thrust aat Newcastle.

I forgot to say I''d probably have Johnson as the CDM with Tettey on the bench. Fox did enough, but just no space for him.

We do need to remember that as well as elliott and simeon did against peterborough the manager and owner (via twitter) have openly criticised the posh players for just how inpet they are.

I am not sure how far off fitness holt and moro are but they remain our best striking options.   I would not drop wes at the mo so would see both on the bench.   Starting with jackson and bennett as our strike force would leave me nervous.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Simeon Jackson as the point man with Elliot Bennett tucked in behind? ManCity do it with Aguero and Tevez sometimes - for example.[/quote]

Wow! Comparing Jackson and Bennett with Aguero and Tevez.....That''s some good ganga you''ve got today Bly. [:D]

[/quote]

Yawn

Aguero, Tevez, Jackson all 5'' 8"

Bennett 5'' 9"

OTBC

Sounds like he may well play those 2 up front. Just read the article on the main page about him seriously believing EB could play in the hole behind the striker, which PL tried last season I think. EB has played there for Brighton too I believe. Would love to see him and Jacko up front again

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Simeon Jackson as the point man with Elliot Bennett tucked in behind? ManCity do it with Aguero and Tevez sometimes - for example.[/quote]

Wow! Comparing Jackson and Bennett with Aguero and Tevez.....That''s some good ganga you''ve got today Bly. [:D]

[/quote]

Yawn

Aguero, Tevez, Jackson all 5'' 8"

Bennett 5'' 9"

OTBC

[/quote]

If only it was so simple as who is the tallest.

Tevez may not be the tallest of guys but I imagine he is stronger than Jackson and Bennett combined. Holding up the ball isn''t just about height but also about physical strenght to not be brushed off the ball - something Jackson nor Bennett have.

Also to play with Tevez and Aguero Man City often rely on the passing skills of someone like David Silva - if we had a player like him in the team then I might say you have a point.

I like Jackson as a player, and certainly don''t think you need to be tall or good in the air to play the lone striker role - look and Thierry Henry, he played as a solo striker with Arsenal (Bergkamp dropped back almost into midfield most of the time) - but he relied on players making the right passes and the team being able to retain possession high up the pitch. The same goes for Walcott, Suarez, Long and all these smaller quick strikers who spearhead their teams attacks. Norwich are a team designed to play this way unfortunately.

Generally agree with your points Bethnal, but wasn''t Henry over 6 foot?!

[quote user="I.S."]Generally agree with your points Bethnal, but wasn''t Henry over 6 foot?![/quote]

Yep, but did you ever see him head a ball??

Think he only ever scored 4 goals using his head in his entire Premier League career.

[quote user="York Canary"]Sounds like he may well play those 2 up front. Just read the article on the main page about him seriously believing EB could play in the hole behind the striker, which PL tried last season I think. EB has played there for Brighton too I believe. Would love to see him and Jacko up front again[/quote]

I expect one of the main benefits Hughton sees in playing EB in the hole is his shooting, he is known to have one of the best strikes on him in the team (from distance) and it is something Wes does lack, he also plays further forward than Wes. However, Wes on form is our man this season, he picks up the ball all over the field and connects the play.

I also think Pilkington has to start, he has the ability to do something great even if he can go missing in games, i think Hughton has to be willing to take Pilkington off earlier when he is having a quiet game, give Bennett more time to make an impact from the bench

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Suarez is 5'' 11" apparently, although he doesn''t look it to me.

OTBC

[/quote]

I heard the same from that thug who ran onto the pitch during the Liverpool game, he said Suarez was muhch taller than he expected

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

We do need to remember that as well as elliott and simeon did against peterborough the manager and owner (via twitter) have openly criticised the posh players for just how inpet they are.

[/quote]Darren Ferguson''s reaction to the media was straight out of the Fergie book on deflecting criticism.  As Peterborough manager their performance wasn''t his fault, of course not.

I really would like to see Bennett start on Saturday. Hopefully, Holt or Morison will be fit for Saturday. I''d be nervous of Jackson as the lone striker - and personally didn''t think Kane was as poor at West Ham as has been discussed.

Last year we beat Newcastle through height against a weakened defence. I think we need Kane in the side to help provide this.

Interestingly, only Martin and Hoolahan look set to be the only two starters from the equivalent match last season.

This was a very similar conversation I had with someone at work after the Man City game.

We have been banging on, for weeks, about getting another big CF, yet Man City have played very effectively at times without a big unit up front, in a very fluid ''smaller man'' system.

We talked about where we are at, as a Club at the mo, and felt we do not have the overall quality to play the Man City ''way'', but why shouldn''t we aim for that at times?

I understand what Bethnal said about Silva (for me the best performance I saw from a visiting player last season) and that we do not possess anyone like him, but who does in this League?

The sort of player we are missing, is a shorter , very strong on their feet, close control type player, a bit like Aguero, Suarez or Tevez. Now they don''t come around very often, and certainly out of our reach, but why not have a ''poor mans'' version?

[quote user="crabbycanary"]This was a very similar conversation I had with someone at work after the Man City game. We have been banging on, for weeks, about getting another big CF, yet Man City have played very effectively at times without a big unit up front, in a very fluid ''smaller man'' system. We talked about where we are at, as a Club at the mo, and felt we do not have the overall quality to play the Man City ''way'', but why shouldn''t we aim for that at times? I understand what Bethnal said about Silva (for me the best performance I saw from a visiting player last season) and that we do not possess anyone like him, but who does in this League? The sort of player we are missing, is a shorter , very strong on their feet, close control type player, a bit like Aguero, Suarez or Tevez. Now they don''t come around very often, and certainly out of our reach, but why not have a ''poor mans'' version?[/quote]

Well put crabby.

I think that perhaps opponents have stared to suss us out more recently.

Thus we need to be able to mix up formations, tactics and strategies rather more - like we did last season. Get that element of surprise back which can throw opponents off for 5, 10, 15 mins.

OTBC

I don''t think he would :(But i would laugh my ass off if he did and we steam rolled them ! Would feel quite vindicated, not a fan of 1 up top and our "super sub"