Sign in to follow this  
Indy

All paper talk and little action for now

Strange that we have been linked with so many players on this board and in the press but no movement in any new signings from the club. I''m sure that work is going on behind the scenes, but I must admit I thought we would have had a striker lined up to go prior to January.

I have no reason to think this other than the shortage of goals from the forwards this year, the injuries and lack of options appart from Holt.

I know there''s no hury to sign and we don''t need to panic buy.

I disagree that there is no hurry to sign and like you am surprised we did not have something lined up for the start of the window. We have a huge game on saturday which we must not lose and ideally need to win to stop the current bad run. Lose it and we have to go to Anfield on the back of 5 straight losses and with the teams at the bottom (slowly) closing the gap.

Maybe we did have something lined up but it has been scuppered. i heard from a couple of different sources that Graham was lined up but maybe we have been gazumped/outbid at the last minute.

Yeah sounds about right, starting to get the feeling that perhaps Norwich have peaked. What can we offer DG that another club in the prem can''t offer more of?

We''ll see, early yet but the early bird catches the worm...

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I disagree that there is no hurry to sign and like you am surprised we did not have something lined up for the start of the window. We have a huge game on saturday which we must not lose and ideally need to win to stop the current bad run. Lose it and we have to go to Anfield on the back of 5 straight losses and with the teams at the bottom (slowly) closing the gap. Maybe we did have something lined up but it has been scuppered. i heard from a couple of different sources that Graham was lined up but maybe we have been gazumped/outbid at the last minute.[/quote]

We are in an odd situation. We could easily go into the game against Fulham, which is effectively the first one after the window closes in terms of selection, with only 25 or 26 or 27 points, and with the team in 18th really quite close behind. Against that, we ought - with some strengthening - to get the points we need for survival from the fixtures in February (starting with Fulham), March and April.

And we don''t have the money (I assume) to panic-buy now if the players we really want will be available later on in the window, which probably means right at the end of January.

And if the players we really want are sold by then?

I find it hard to believe we had no targets before January, thus we really should get them in before someone else. I''ll reiterate a point I made in another thread, if CMS or worse no one comes in we can probably count on having a less than joyous end to our season.

[quote user="Indy"]

Strange that we have been linked with so many players on this board and in the press but no movement in any new signings from the club.

[/quote]

With the exception of chelsea, west ham and liverpool doesnt that summary apply to every club though?

We need Keep Calm and enjoy the ride - plenty more angst to flow before the end of Jan I am sure

I hope that this is not going to be another disappointing Transfer window, because although I am not predicting doom unless we do sign a couple of prominent players,the end to the season will be touch and go. I realise money talks but we need to strengthen now!!

If we''re feeding off of everyone''s scraps come the end of January I will be mighty pizzed off. What willrile me up more is if we let our targets slip through to the clubs we are competing against in the table. A few improvements to their squad and suddenly the tables could turn dramatically. That said, I''ll wait til Feb 1st to actually blow a casket.

We probably won''t even know which of our ''targets'' have slipped through the net as we don''t know who we''re actually after in all honesty

The dip in results over Xmas probably hasn''t helped. The sort of player which we need to be looking at will be concerned about a move if that then results in being in the Championship next season.

Even if we don''t sign a single player we will not go down, sorry but we have more than enough quality to get the 15 points from the matches left.

I just think a return of 6 goals by all our strikers this season is not going to move us up into the middle reaches of this league or keep us clear of a relegation battle.

I don''t buy into this theory of not having any money to spend, even with the repayments of loans and such like this season is all about investing into the team to stay up and move on.

I know to build for the future we need to be looking at young hungry players who will fit our team structure and improve the starting 11. We don''t need another bench warmer to add to a good squad, that''s why I agree with those who don''t want to see the likes of CMS or Becchio. I would have loved to see a double signing of Chris Wood and Vaclav Kadlec, both young, both affordable and both bags of potential, just suprised Hughton did not gone in for Wood having had him on loan.

I really do worry that we will wait till end of January and end up with CMS.

According to the BBC list there have so far been only 12 acquisitions (including loans) by Premier League clubs. Wigan, West Ham and Spurs account for about half the deals. Most PL clubs have not brought in anyone yet.

I quite liked the sound of blowing a casket, Stig! Like others, I''m beginning to get a bit worried that a striker hasn''t been lined up already. With no points from the last 4 games, the Newcastle game looms large. Moro is definitely out and Holt may be as well. Newcastle is followed by Liverpool away and Spurs at home. Lose those 3 and it''s suddenly 7 straight losses and a relegation battle is on the cards. Obviously, I hope it won''t come to that, but this could be a very critical period with so much at stake.

Maybe, Mr. McNally will come on to this board or via Twitter and tell us all we have nothing to worry about and we have signings in the work.  Probably won''t though.  It is still early days however.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]If we''re feeding off of everyone''s scraps come the end of January I will be mighty pizzed off. What willrile me up more is if we let our targets slip through to the clubs we are competing against in the table. A few improvements to their squad and suddenly the tables could turn dramatically. That said, I''ll wait til Feb 1st to actually blow a casket.[/quote]

I''m totally with Stig on this, a new striker was important BEFORE the season even kicked off!

No signing is better than a bad one, remember the hamilton times when we signed a load of crap very quickly, it was an expensive mistake. I too would have liked a striker before the Newcastle game and we may well see one. I suspect graham was high on the list but of late he has been played and scored i think 3 goals. that makes them keener to keep him and has probably bumped up his price. It is a tricky time to buy because clubs do not want to sell unless they get replacements which may be slowing down business. Despite the words coming out of the club i only ever thought we would get 2 or 3 in, but of better quality. No need to panic at all. I do agree we could well survive without any signings but do we all want to take that risk, i suspect not

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]No signing is better than a bad one[/quote]

QFT.    Absolutely spot on.    

We do need an additional striker as a minimum just to give us an option (I would also want a defensive midfielder) but would rather loan a player in than buy the wrong one in desperation.   We can always sign the right one in the summer and Elliot has just shown he can be a pacey striking option if needed.

How do you inow that there has been "little action"? Do you doubt CH that "they" are allworking hard?

There has been little concrete result, admittedly, and we did not expect much very early. We are Premiership, but can''t offer European football next season, so the big boys are likely to have their pick as usual. Once deals are done some buyers will be out of the market and those remaining will have a clearer picture and be able to move more quickly.

Could we have achieved a quicker result? Yes, if we jumped in offering silly money, but even then the selling club might decide to wait and see if our action could lead to even bigger offers from elsewhere.

Even when the two clubs have agreed on the price, there is the little matter of discussing terms with the Player - how much per week, will there be an escape clause, etc. Then a medical and then a few days for him to consider the offer, talk to his family, and see if any better offers come in. For players not currently playing in the Premiership, and very keen to play there, the process may become shorter later in the month.

There are good reasons, some mentioned above, for expecting the pace to quicken during the month. The "big" teams can flash their money and sign players quickly, but for the rest there is often a tortuous business to sign at reasonable price. There is a need for patience and skill, but even then no guarantee of signing someone good at a reasonable price. 

Agreed Salopian - with selling clubs wanting to get the best price and agents the best salaries I dont think we will sign anyone for another couple of weeks as the poker faces get well used..

Another possibility is that if one or more of our serious targets are involved in the African Nations Cup, this may have complicated/delayed negotiations, as their focus may understandably be on preparing for their National team rather than taking tours of Colney... No need to panic for another 10 days or so yet I think.

I do agree though that if we only end up with CMS or a similar overrated Championship player, I will be extremely disappointed and less than convinced we can avoid a relegation battle...

I''m with Stig as well. We needed a striker back in the summer; this need is even more critical now. I had hoped that we have a new face in the team for our vital game against Newcastle. It would be very disappointing for key targets to be acquired by others leaving us with limited, if any, options.

If at the end of the transfer window we have not acquired a striker I''ll feel that we have gone back to the days of ''prudence with ambition'' as we only signed Kane in the final hour of the last window.

All this talk of alot of things are happening in the background does remind me the said Doncaster regime.

So if we going to act like a big club by changing the football strip each season can we have this mirrored in other aspects of the club too and show some level of ambition in improving the squad!!

Tin hat at the ready!! lol

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Indy"]

Strange that we have been linked with so many players on this board and in the press but no movement in any new signings from the club.

[/quote]

With the exception of chelsea, west ham and liverpool doesnt that summary apply to every club though?

We need Keep Calm and enjoy the ride - plenty more angst to flow before the end of Jan I am sure

[/quote]

Only 7 Prem Teams have made a signing so far.