Sign in to follow this  
Stowmarket Canary (not Delia)

Building ourselves up for disappointment?!

Now I''m like every fan during transfer windows. I''m online, checking papers teletext etc. We get linked with players like Austin, Graham, Hooper. I just hope this one something actually happens. I can''t bare the thought of another deadline day sitting up till midnight, only to find we''ve signed a Harry Kane type on loan very disappointing.

I know I''m the resident killjoy when it comes to transfers and windows, but I genuinely  don''t know why people build their hopes up so much.  We know we''re on a limited budget - we''re just not amongst the big boys when it comes to transfers - so we have to be clever.   

So finances is one thing, then there is the quality of what we might bring in.    Anyone we get has to "bed in" - not always easy, half way through a season.   Better to see how the present players improve under his guidance than bring in players who are not versed in the way Hughton works.  So being as there are inflated prices out there at this time of year too - we would imo be better waiting for the summer break to bring in any new players.       

After all, we''re not doing so bad with what we''ve got - a difficult few fixtures we''ve just had, I grant you - but still mid table and confidence intact. 

If we get a player or two in  during this window, fine, but it won''t wreck the season if we don''t get anyone.    I''ll be happy to see the current squad develop under Hughton - after all he has still only been here half a season.   

we are looking at a list of 22 strikers - so I''m pretty sure something will happen!

I think it is fairly obvious the club are looking to bring in at least a striker, and I wouldn''t say the names being talked about are completely outlandish - certainly a lot more realism on these boards since the club initial promotion to the Premier League when Klose was deemed a possible signing.

There are a lot of players in the current squad who really aren''t good enough for the Prem long-term, some of them can perform well for a game here or there, but many of them are close to being liabilities. If the club is to progress some players need to be moved on and improvements made no just to the squad but the first team. It''s becoming fairly clear that the run of unbeaten games had some pretty damaging effects on several players fitness - reliable backups are needed in several positions and someone to seriously challenge Holt is a must. Holt wasn''t particulary firing last season until he was dropped for Morison and he needed to prove his worth, this season you don''t get the impression he feels that threatened by Morison anymore.

[quote user="lake district canary"]I know I''m the resident killjoy when it comes to transfers and windows, but I genuinely  don''t know why people build their hopes up so much.  We know we''re on a limited budget - we''re just not amongst the big boys when it comes to transfers - so we have to be clever.   

So finances is one thing, then there is the quality of what we might bring in.    Anyone we get has to "bed in" - not always easy, half way through a season.   Better to see how the present players improve under his guidance than bring in players who are not versed in the way Hughton works.  So being as there are inflated prices out there at this time of year too - we would imo be better waiting for the summer break to bring in any new players.       

After all, we''re not doing so bad with what we''ve got - a difficult few fixtures we''ve just had, I grant you - but still mid table and confidence intact. 

If we get a player or two in  during this window, fine, but it won''t wreck the season if we don''t get anyone.    I''ll be happy to see the current squad develop under Hughton - after all he has still only been here half a season.   

[/quote]

We might well still stay up if no-one comes in (although I wouldn''t bank on it) but we definitely need a fair bit of fresh blood. Going with what we''ve got for the rest of the season would be way too risky.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]I know I''m the resident killjoy when it comes to transfers and windows, but I genuinely  don''t know why people build their hopes up so much.  We know we''re on a limited budget - we''re just not amongst the big boys when it comes to transfers - so we have to be clever.   

[/quote]

We might well still stay up if no-one comes in (although I wouldn''t bank on it) but we definitely need a fair bit of fresh blood. Going with what we''ve got for the rest of the season would be way too risky.

[/quote]I know you want to look on the bright side LDC but I go along with what Purple says. Sorry, but I''ve seen a few games and we can''t turn a blind eye either! We''re short up front and the Kane transfer wasn''t worth sitting up for. I''m sorry but I don''t rate him. I agree that we do not have to splash out for the sake of it. But leaving it be, no...would be a major mistake imo!

I know you want to look on the bright side LDC but I go along with what Purple says. Sorry, but I''ve seen a few games and we can''t turn a blind eye either! We''re short up front and the Kane transfer wasn''t worth sitting up for. I''m sorry but I don''t rate him. I agree that we do not have to splash out for the sake of it. But leaving it be, no...would be a major mistake imo!

Well we know now with CMartin''s loan to Swindon crossing the EPL squad cut-off date that there is one new space to fill in the squad - and a striker at that.  I don''t think Hughton will have agreed that unless he was close to completing a deal!

Can Vaughan still be called back? If not, then it makes more sense to loan Chrissy if we''ve got someone lined up. Unless Chrissy can be recalled as well.

We do need someone of equivalent or better ability than Holt to enable rotation and cover for injury/suspension. Without such an acquisition, I fear that our PL status would be placed under additional risk than need be the case.

I think the only way we can find a class striker within our financial range is to shop abroad for a relative unknown. Who had heard of Tettey before we signed him and yet he has already become a firm favourite. We were linked with Graham and now it is being reported that Villa are launching a 12 Million pound bid for him! We just cannot compete within the domestic market when it comes to strikers, even Rhodes from two divisions below went for silly money. attacking players will always be more expensive so we need to depend on good scouting and maybe take a bit of a risk.

Really can''t see the need for all this panic, there is almost three weeks left of this transfer window. Yes, a new forward is needed much sooner rather than later, but I''m sure CH knows what he is doing! I''d rather wait an extra week and get someone in with real quality, than rush and sign someone for the sake of bulking up the numbers!

Be patient...

[/quote]

I''m in two minds here. I''m confident that the team we have is good enough to stay up this year, but it''s clear we need to progress up front. The current squad hasn''t had the quality or variety to allow Hughton to try something different if Holt up front alone isn''t working.

Morrison doesn''t seem suited to the club. It''s not working for him and he hasn''t been able to make any impression this season. Granted, he has had very little chance to, but he cost us almost as much as Graham cost Swansea at the same time 18 months ago.

I feel Jackson has a lot of ability, but just seems too nice. Quick, good finished, but just doesn''t seem to be cutting it. Can someone make him more angry???

Kane has potential, but he''ll realise that elsewhere.

I think we will get by this season regardless of signings in January, but we''ll be six months behind where we could be if we did. I think we need to sign a new striker, and possibly some cover in defence & on the left wing. Do this with the view that those players may take some time to bed in... but may just contribute as the season comes to a close.

We need a new striker to push Holt/Morrison and keep the momentum of the team going in the right direction. If we don''t add to the squad I feel we will start the slippery slope down to those unwanted places as the goals not coming from the strikers.

The more goals we get, it will help take the pressure off the defence which has been letting in too many soft goals recently. Its a win/win situation to bring in more strikepower!!