Sign in to follow this  
ROBFLECK

BANG

down to earth...Chris is going to play the waiting game. I trust his judgement and all that...but I remember the last window and we all went to sleep very dissapointed... I don''t expect any decent signing, just to make the window a bit more bearable for myself... Any of you feel the same? Or is everybody confident that all''s well, that ends well...with a decent forward being paraded on the Carra Rud pitch...

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11709/8387468/Norwich-boss-Chris-Hughton-not-expecting-to-be-busy-in-January-transfer-window

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]down to earth...Chris is going to play the waiting game. I trust his judgement and all that...but I remember the last window and we all went to sleep very dissapointed... I don''t expect any decent signing, just to make the window a bit more bearable for myself... Any of you feel the same? Or is everybody confident that all''s well, that ends well...with a decent forward being paraded on the Carra Rud pitch... http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11709/8387468/Norwich-boss-Chris-Hughton-not-expecting-to-be-busy-in-January-transfer-window

[/quote]

Disappointed? With Tettey, Garrido, Bassong, Snodgrass etc etc?

The transfer window isn''t just the last day.

I fully expect signing(s) but only a few managers will come out shouting "we are going to sign some amazing players, just you wait!!!". It''s very early days yet and any signings will happen towards the end of Jan not the beginning - there is often an inital flurish of deals worked out before the window but I expect things to quieten down for a week or so before kicking off again.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]I remember the last window and we all went to sleep very dissapointed[/quote]Eight new players and you were disappointed? [:S]

Naturally I was only referring to the deadline day m8. I know how it goes too, but I don''t feel confident about it. We''re linked to Graham, but so are 5 other teams...and they''ve got cash on the hip!

I watched the last PL game at Upton Park and we were absolutely toothless up front! I presumed this would have aroused some sort of urgency into our quest for a player. But maybe this was wishfull thinking...

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Oh get of my back about the 8 players, they were all signed before the end of august![/quote]

Isn''t that better than scrabbling around on the last day of the transfer window?

CH has addressed the need for more firepower in his interviews and I''m sure he knew that before the West Ham game - the issue is that any new striker coming in will need to replace Grant Holt due to the 4-2-3-1 formation. That is obviously a tall order.

Norwich could have rushed out and signed someone by now, if they weren''t picky about who they signed. The best players aren''t going to be easily available, especially in January. These things are worth taking there time over to get the right result, as the club start spending more and more money on players the greater the risks and the greater the financial loses.

Dispite his claims otherwise Redknapp has shown the advantages of being flexible on transfers and ''wheeler dealer-ing''. Some clubs know that if a player isn''t sold this window they will go for nothing in the summer, it can be very profitable for the club to take advantage of this situation and use that desperation to reduce prices. Also, other teams making signings means previously unavailable players suddenly come onto the market. Norwich have to think further ahead with each signing than the next month.

I agree with your first point Bethnal. Makes sense...But the reason for my post is the fact that we really need a striker (as you rightly say CH has mentioned). The last transfer deadline day proved to me that this last day is a chaos and just a seldom good deal is done. I''d rather have us seizing the day ...

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]I agree with your first point Bethnal. Makes sense...But the reason for my post is the fact that we really need a striker (as you rightly say CH has mentioned). The last transfer deadline day proved to me that this last day is a chaos and just a seldom good deal is done. I''d rather have us seizing the day ...[/quote]

Incredibly easy to say - by unless you are an very rich club almost impossible to do. Seizing the day means making an offer a club can''t refuse for a player, I''d rather make offers clubs have to ''grudgingly accept'' - this only happens towards the back end of the window. There are of course always risks involved but again, only the super rich don''t have to take those risks, they can offer massive amounts of money for players and secure their services quickly.

As I said before, I''m sure Norwich could ''seize the day'' and sign a striker by Saturday - just not sure they would be able to secure any quality by then.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Oh get of my back about the 8 players, they were all signed before the end of august![/quote]

People have short memories.

We all sat up late waiting for a striker and ended up with a loan of a youngster.

It was obvious to me what you meant.

I expect two signings again and maybe one loan just to bolster the squad a bit, and that is all I want, the team is strong. There is not a cat in hell''s chance that we''d go this whole window without spending a bit on a striker, I''m certain of that. Morison is not on form/possibly not enthusiastic about being a Norwich player, Holty isn''t getting any younger and now has his injury problem that has showed how thin on the ground we are re: strikers. Everywhere else in the squad I''m pretty happy with til summer and I''m certain Hughton/McAttack feel the same.

If we continue to play 4-5-1, which seems to be the perfect system for the players we have then we will struggle to attract a striker to play the "lone man" role when he will probably be fully aware that he`ll be on the bench behind Holty (when he`s fit...). All this talk of Hooper etc. seems a bit unlikely unless Hughton is looking more towards 4-4-2.

This is very true Mr Carrow, that''s why I would have liked to have seen Chris Wood brough in at 2 million and spent the rest on a young attacking forward who can play the Wes role (Kadlec maybe?). This talk of Hooper and Austin would mean we can adopt a 2 up top style as an alternative, plan A and B.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]If we continue to play 4-5-1, which seems to be the perfect system for the players we have then we will struggle to attract a striker to play the "lone man" role when he will probably be fully aware that he`ll be on the bench behind Holty (when he`s fit...). All this talk of Hooper etc. seems a bit unlikely unless Hughton is looking more towards 4-4-2.[/quote]

Possibly MrC but any striker worth buying will feel that they can take Holts place.    Its not as if Holt is RVP or Messi is it?    Real competition is what we want.

I guess someone like Wood may well think it`s more in his benefit to go somewhere he`s virtually guaranteed to start? I agree that Hughton may fancy greater flexibility, but 4-4-2 almost certainly means dropping Wes who`s been one of our best players. I`m also not sure Hooper or Austin would come on the premise that they`d probably only play if we decided to change what has generally been a successful system. I`m probably going out on a limb here, but i don`t think we desperately need anyone and this is the best squad NCFC have ever had.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]If we continue to play 4-5-1, which seems to be the perfect system for the players we have then we will struggle to attract a striker to play the "lone man" role when he will probably be fully aware that he`ll be on the bench behind Holty (when he`s fit...). All this talk of Hooper etc. seems a bit unlikely unless Hughton is looking more towards 4-4-2.[/quote]

Possibly MrC but any striker worth buying will feel that they can take Holts place.    Its not as if Holt is RVP or Messi is it?    Real competition is what we want.

[/quote]

Exactly, Norwich need a striker to replace Holt - not beacuse Holt isn''t good enough but just because every position needs serious competition. It''s also not a great secret that Holt isn''t a brilliant striker playing a lone role, he struggled a lot with it last season (the reason Morison replaced him) and he hasn''t been amoungst the goals so much this season. Holty tends to drift away from the area in an attempt to influence the game more, which is why he can be brilliant, but is also why he is often in positions out wide trying to cross the ball to himself.

The current Norwich squad is certainly strong, but without additions it wouldn''t be hard to see them getting dragged back into the relegation fight.

Zippers, there are plenty of strikers who are technically better than Holt, but as a lone front-man i don`t think there would be many as effective. Graham has the same sort of work-rate and full-on attitude, but i still think he`d be a Holt stand-in, so i`d be surprised if he came tbh.