Sign in to follow this  
nochain09

Strikers - Why the droughts?

New here, but thought I would start a topic that has been puzzling me for a while.Why do strikers go on droughts? Obviously playing with one up front as we are at the moment will most certainly hinder our strikers getting goals. Maybe i''m being thick....but why has Holt, Jackson, Morrison to certain extent etc seem to have dried up from putting the bag of leather in the net? I''ve been having a bit of a reminisce of some of the goals we have been putting away over the last few years and the strikers, that we still have, put fantasic goals away. Now I keep hearing the phrase ''not a Premier league striker'' but surely that talent doesn''t change overnight and neither the size of the goal. I have a hunch that they seem to get scared being in the Prem and seem to almost give too much respect for who they are playing when that opportunity comes at front of goal.   Is the difference just confidence?    

As we are going up the leagues the quality of the oppo gets tougher which is a factor. Also due to our new more defensive system we aren''t creating enough chances. We are ahead of last season I think although scoring less, but also conceeding alot less. So Holt last season was possibly getting 3/4 chances a game, whereas now he is getting 1/2 a game. And if he missed 2 of his 3 last season he still had the 3rd chance to score. But this season if he misses 2 chances then he may not get another.

The formation we used is designed to get the striker to stretch the defence and battle the CB''s to make room for the midfield to run through an (hopefully) score. This means that the strikers don''t find themselves in goal scoring situations as often as they would expect in a different formation. I wouldn''t really expect Holt to get more than 10 this year at best. Snoddy or Pilkington for top scorer I''m thinking.