Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

We will miss out on Danny Graham....

His tweet:L

"Looks like (& I have heard) #NCFC set to miss out on Danny Graham so hopefully the club''s ambitious bid for Celtic''s Gary Hooper comes off"

Were we ever in for him?

Unless someone can point to genuine evidence of said interest, I''m not convinced we were ever after him.

Always just paper talk. Besides, I thought Nursey was convinced that we were signing the guy from Monaco? Changed his tune, then. Just goes to show that he- and every other journo- have about as much insight as we do.

I believe (and have no evidence) that we have a slight interest in Graham, but only as backup, maybe a final option if we miss out on main targets.

Wouldn''t bet against CMS being here come Feb 1st. However, I do believe this Hooper talk. Maybe not the figures quoted but I do believe we want him.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]Were we ever in for him? Unless someone can point to genuine evidence of said interest, I''m not convinced we were ever after him. Always just paper talk. Besides, I thought Nursey was convinced that we were signing the guy from Monaco? Changed his tune, then. Just goes to show that he- and every other journo- have about as much insight as we do.[/quote]

I wouldn''t go that far - many writers have excellent contacts in the game and can provide real insight. The problem is that newspapers know that rumours generate traffic, especially at this time of year, so they want at least one ongoing transfer saga for every club. As nearly all papers are starting to rely on their online advertising revenue they will do pretty much anything to get those hits. The well sourced stories are lost in this mire of bulls#it.

Yeah, but there again. What evidence besides paper talk that we were in for CMS? We were in for him once, under Lambert, when we were in the Championship - we know this to be true because Lambert said so. But that''s it. Its just rehashed old news. Why on earth would you think we would be in any way interested in CMS? No offense to him.

At least with Hooper there is the some corroborating evidence by the fact that Hughton was at the Celtic game against Motherwell. But, I have to agree with Bethnal - a journo I respect - I''m not convinced in our interest for him.

I''ve said it before, I''m sorry for being a broken record, but it is a source of constant amazement for me that people so utterly believe the cack rumours that come out about our alleged transfer targets. And, more often than not, they panic about it or use it as a stick to beat the management etc with.

Given the rumour says we are discussing wages with hooper, this would imply that the 2 clubs have agreed a fee. Would it not?

@JamesNursey: @paul5674 formal bid is the last thing after agreeing player''s salary first with agent, checking he will come & his rough transfer fee

I''m not an expert on this by any means, but hat is surely an illegal approach, is it not? Surely Celtic would have to give us permission to speak to their employee, and wouldn''t do so unless we agreed to meet their valuation?

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]@JamesNursey: @paul5674 formal bid is the last thing after agreeing player''s salary first with agent, checking he will come & his rough transfer fee

I''m not an expert on this by any means, but hat is surely an illegal approach, is it not? Surely Celtic would have to give us permission to speak to their employee, and wouldn''t do so unless we agreed to meet their valuation?[/quote]Ahh, bless you!

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]@JamesNursey: @paul5674 formal bid is the last thing after agreeing player''s salary first with agent, checking he will come & his rough transfer fee

I''m not an expert on this by any means, but hat is surely an illegal approach, is it not? Surely Celtic would have to give us permission to speak to their employee, and wouldn''t do so unless we agreed to meet their valuation?[/quote]Not sure of the exact ins and outs, but guessing Scotland is the same as any other European League (but not the EPL), so as he''s in the last 6 months of his contract he''s free to talk to anyone. But realistically it''s doesn''t count for anything, people are always talking.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]phew ! I hope we have missed out on Danny Graham !Not good enough for Swansea ergo not good enough for us ![/quote]

To be fair Michu wiuld keep most strikers out of any team in the Prem atm.

Would much prefer Graham to some of the other names. Still scoring goals at this level. CMS I do not want to see anywhere near here. Not been convinced of there being anything in the Hooper stuff from the beginning so Graham would be a decent acquisition

[quote user="Mervmeister"]To be fair Michu wiuld keep most strikers out of any team in the Prem atm.[/quote]

Quite... unfortunately, and it really makes me angry saying it, with all the money Swansea have made selling players and with the very canny finds they have replaced them with, we can expect them to stay a step ahead of us (on the face of it) for a while, so I don''t think signing one of their players is necessarily a backwards step for us.

Guys, Danny Graham from the bench has scored 6 goals for Swansea this season. Agree re Michu - he has 15!!! I think Graham would be a good shout. I think we need to shift Morro. I personally think if we could we should sign 2 this Jan. Would give Holt a bigger push and create more options . Even if it was CMS / Graham, Austin/CMS or Hooper in the the 2 I think this would be best. The rest of the team is fine for now. Its upfront we really need to switch things around and going for just the one could be dangerous if we have a run of injuries......