Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Our majority shareholders

Are you alright there?  Seeing as old David Bowie has come out of retirement, I reckoned I''d follow him.

Now I have two question about our majority shareholders that I reckon we ought to chew over for a bit and see if we can fathom what''s been going on. 

1. How did they come about all those shares in the first place?

2. Do you reckon that our current majority shareholders have taken our lovely old club about as far as that''s possible to go without all that foreign money?  Or do you reckon we can still compete and achieve something special with what we have?

Let''s be having you, and all that.

I''m glad you asked this as, to the best of my knowledge, it''s not something we''ve ever talked about before.1. Don''t know. Some people do know.  In fact, those that know know.2. Yes and no, at the end of the day.  Personally, I''d have our club run by slave-pimping arms dealers if it meant we could make Roberto Mancini cry.

The fact is Bor, that Delia and her husband had been season ticket holders for sometime but had no contact with the club hierarchy. When the club was in serious trouble the club sent a duplicated letter to a number of people seeking £500,000 investments.

Unfortunately the letter was sent to Mrs Smith (sic) and further said the club was seeking money from Norfolk (Delia lives in Suffolk) businessmen(!).

This unsound start was followed up by one or two who thought it would be great to have a woman on the board especially with her fame. After some six months of talks she and Michael agreed to invest in NCFC.

Of course they''d been fans for much longer than they''d been st holders. In fact prior to having seats I believe they stood on the old riverend terrace. Other buisinessmen joined the board at the same time. Notably Michael Foulger and Barry Skipper. Between them 2m went into the club to pave the way for the rollercoaster ride we''ve been on ever since. Saved the club? Probably! Should we be grateful? Probably! But those who are ungrateful...........

Anyway, more details here without any made up myths from the usual suspects : -

Recipe for success?

"It''s every supporter''s dream to have some say in the club and I''m very interested to learn"
Newly appointed Norwich City director Delia Smith

TV chef Delia Smith was last night installed as the first woman director in Norwich City''s history as the Canaries unveiled a new eight-strong boardroom team.

Ms Smith is joined on the board by three more new directors -- her husband, publisher Michael Wynn Jones, and Norfolk businessmen Barry Skipper and Michael Foulger.

The high-profile arrival of the country''s best-loved culinary wizard on to the board is bound to meet with warm approval from the Canary supporters, and between them the new directors are expected to pump more than £2million worth of vital loan capital into the club.

The most controversial of last night''s announcements saw long-serving director Barry Lockwood formally take over as club chairman, six months after the departure of Robert Chase.

Gavin Paterson also remains in office, but company secretary Trevor Nicholls - who joined the board last December when Jimmy Jones stepped down - has now retired so the new directors can make up the maximum eight-strong board allowed.

Martin Armstrong and Roger Munby, both of whom joined the board in the spring, were elected joint vice-chairmen at yesterday afternoon''s all-important board meeting.

Last night''s announcements all came with the blessing of club president and 42 per cent shareholder Geoffrey Watling, who described the moves as "big changes for the better." Mr Watling also said he was "very happy" with the level of his shareholding, and had no intention of selling any of his shares in the immediate future.

Cheerfully posing with City scarf, Ms Smith immediately revealed that she intended to throw herself whole-heartedly into helping revive the club''s footballing and financial fortunes.

"I''m very excited," she said. "It''s every supporter''s dream to have some say in the club and I''m very interested to learn. I''ve a great deal to learn, and I would like to spend a lot of time here doing that.

"When you''re passionate about something it''s important to find time for it, and I''m currently reviewing the other things I do and this may replace some of them."

Mr Wynn Jones, a supporter for more than 40 years, said it was "a childhood dream" to join the board - but stressed it was not a step he and his wife had taken lightly.

"There was a lot of speculation originally. When we were first approached it would have meant buying shares rather than any investment going into the club where I felt it was needed.

"That situation has changed dramatically. I was gob-smacked at how much the situation here has changed in six months, and both of us are obviously delighted that our investment will go into the club."

Lockwood - who confirmed that the day-to-day running of the club will remain with chief executive Gordon Bennett - said he was "honoured" by his appointment as chairman, and pledged to lead the club "onward and upwards."

Asked what he had learned in a decade on the board, he replied: "I have learned a tremendous deal. I hope in the six or seven months since last May I have put some of those lessons into practice.

"You learn from people''s mistakes as well their successes, and I would like to think what we have done in the last six months reflects that."

And asked whether he had considered stepping down from the board, Lockwood said: "I thought long and hard about it, but you have to think what you are walking away from. The club was in a very bad state and my responsibility was to stay and help sort it out. We have made progress and I would hope people will look forward."

Lockwood won solid support from Armstrong, who also pointed to the old directors'' part in rescuing the club from financial oblivion in the last few months.

"I''d like to pledge my support for Barry," said Armstrong. "He deserves the job - he has worked incredibly hard both in the past and, I know, this year, to keep it on track. Six new directors have joined this year, but we have two experienced directors and we need their experience and knowledge. We couldn''t have done it without him.

"Barry has been the club''s greatest supporter - I watch his face during games, and I can see his heart is there."

Roy Blower, chairman of the Norwich City Independent Supporters'' Association, welcomed the appointment of new directors, and was reluctant to be drawn on the continuing presence of the "old guard."

"I want nothing to detract from the progress the team is making," said Blower. "The decision to appoint the new board has taken some months to conclude, and from the president down everyone feels this is a good board. I wish them every success."

Robert Emery, of the East Anglian Branch of the Football Supporters'' Association, said: "Sometimes you don''t get everything you want, but I think six new directors and two old has to be regarded as a good compromise. It is clear the balance of power has shifted significantly, and if that isn''t enough to persuade supporters to return then I don''t know what is."

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]

Are you alright there?  Seeing as old David Bowie has come out of retirement, I reckoned I''d follow him.

Now I have two question about our majority shareholders that I reckon we ought to chew over for a bit and see if we can fathom what''s been going on. 

2. Do you reckon that our current majority shareholders have taken our lovely old club about as far as that''s possible to go without all that foreign money?  Or do you reckon we can still compete and achieve something special with what we have?

[/quote]

Could you possible go back into retirement???????

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]

[/quote]

Could you possible go back into retirement???????

[/quote]

I beg to differ your Lordship, Old Bor has prompted two very interesting posts from Surfrider and our omnipresent Mr nigel.

Carry on Bor!

OTBC

P.S. And in the interests of posterity:

[quote user="ron obvious"]Sorry, can''t get past the third post.

What was that about our majority boobholders?[/quote]

You should try, the fourth post is worth ogling.

[quote user="Lord Horn"][quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="SI"]Portsmouth .....[/quote]

Impressive post!

[/quote]

Visually that is!

[/quote]

Now my Lord if she was running towards you saying "Let''s be havin'' you"

Puts a completely different..............[:P]

Where does Stephen Fry fit into all of this? I can''t be bothered to google it... I''m just wondering if he is the ringleader in all of this.