Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

The correct way of writing a score...

This is a slight change from the usual and I wonder what people thoughts are?

Can I ask what you think is the correct way of writing down a football score?

For example, if Norwich travel to Manchester Utd and lose 4-1, the media would report that Norwich lose 4-1...correct?

If Norwich won the game by the same score, would you say Norwich won 1-4...or would you say Norwich win away 4-1?

I have always thought the score should be in order of whether you are home or away...is that right?

I''m only asking as I report for another football club and someone has mentioned that they thought I was wrong. They say that it should be written "Norwich win 4-1 - even if it''s at Old Trafford. I would say the opposite and write it as Norwich win 1-4.

Would love your thoughts. Thanks!

If you are writing the score in an article or match report it should be ''Norwich won 4-1'', regardless of whether this is home or away. There is no rule about this so to speak, but in conversation you wouldn''t say ''1-4'' so that is generally applied to text - to do otherwise sounds very clunky.

If writing a list of results then the Home/Away order is used.

If you are writing/reading out a list of scores or putting the result at the head of a report then you would always read the home team first. So in your example Manchester United 1 Norwich City 4 would be correct. But if you are referring to a score within the main body of a report/article I think it is perfectly fine to say ''Norwich beat Manchester United 4-1''.

I usually prescribe to home team first in written form, but I wouldn''t say out loud villa lost nil three, sounds weird, I''d always say villa lost three nil at home to wigan for what reason I don''t know though.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]If you are writing/reading out a list of scores or putting the result at the head of a report then you would always read the home team first. So in your example Manchester United 1 Norwich City 4 would be correct. But if you are referring to a score within the main body of a report/article I think it is perfectly fine to say ''Norwich beat Manchester United 4-1''.
[/quote]

Totally agree but I totally refuse to follow this concept when filling Norwich scores in on my fixture list - don''t care whether we are home or away an ''F'' on our fixture list should always relate to goals scored by us and an ''A'' to goals against us.  I hate it when the PInk Un or other sites record our scores like for example Norwich winning away 4-3 at Swansea:

Saturday December 8th   Swansea     Away  3-4

Does this annoy other people or just me????  I''m sure that''s only started happening in recent years???

[quote user="Canary Boy"]For example, if Norwich travel to Manchester Utd and lose 4-1, the media would report that Norwich lose 4-1...correct? If Norwich won the game by the same score, would you say Norwich won 1-4...or would you say Norwich win away 4-1? [/quote]If Norwich won 4-1 at Old Trafford I would say.....Thank you Jesus, Mary, Allah, Budda, Mohamed and Tony Blair. [:D] [<:o)]

Tennis is a good example of this, no matter how many sets, games, which was the ''home'' player or any other factors, the winners score always gets put first

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]If you are writing/reading out a list of scores or putting the result at the head of a report then you would always read the home team first. So in your example Manchester United 1 Norwich City 4 would be correct. But if you are referring to a score within the main body of a report/article I think it is perfectly fine to say ''Norwich beat Manchester United 4-1''.
[/quote]

Totally agree but I totally refuse to follow this concept when filling Norwich scores in on my fixture list - don''t care whether we are home or away an ''F'' on our fixture list should always relate to goals scored by us and an ''A'' to goals against us.  I hate it when the PInk Un or other sites record our scores like for example Norwich winning away 4-3 at Swansea:

Does this annoy other people or just me????  I''m sure that''s only started happening in recent years???

[/quote]

I see where you are coming from Lord Horn with the F and the A, but if for example a headline said Norwich win 4-1 against Man Utd, I would automatically think it was at Carrow Rd, because of the order the score is written. It would be a bit odd in the writeup to then say Norwich win 1-4 at Old Trafford, as the score has been swapped round.

It just so happens that as Norwich fans, we know the fixture already; but if you were looking back and past results, the score surely has to be written in the correct order of home first, then away if the ground isn''t mentioned?

It seems from the responses though that this is all down to preference. Some funny responses, thank you! :-)

Just to add slightly to the confusion, the American sports convention is to use ''at/@'' instead of ''Versus/away to'' as we do, meaning they usually list the away team first when talking about matches (eg. "Tonight''s game is DC United @ LA Galaxy") whereas we would write it as ''LA Galaxy v DC United''...

Given the way the media here is increasingly influenced by our friends across the pond, I''d guess that''s where some of the changes in style of reporting in recent years might come from...

[quote user="Lord Horn"]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]If you are writing/reading out a list of scores or putting the result at the head of a report then you would always read the home team first. So in your example Manchester United 1 Norwich City 4 would be correct. But if you are referring to a score within the main body of a report/article I think it is perfectly fine to say ''Norwich beat Manchester United 4-1''.[/quote]

[/quote]You are right LH, I find the practice followed by the Pinkun site obtuse in the extreme. Every fixture list used to have a F and a A, representing goals for and goals against. It is almost impossible to understand when reading the scores and fixture list on this site.It annoy''s the hell out of me and I complained about it a couple of years ago but got no reply. Almost every other place gives the scores in the accepted format that has been standard for years. Why the "Pinkun" wants to be different I can''t imagine>

The reason I assume why they do it is because. Generally speaking the Pink''un keeps all the results through past seasons which can be looked up and checked. That way in a glance you can tell if it was an away win, lose etc.

I think wikipedia is much clearer e.g. if you look at the second half of April 2011 for City (taken purely at random you understand) it reads as follows : (this is from the entry for City for the 2010/11 season).  In the original it is lined up properly.

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"]The reason I assume why they do it is because. Generally speaking the Pink''un keeps all the results through past seasons which can be looked up and checked. That way in a glance you can tell if it was an away win, lose etc.[/quote]

Look in any football program, newspaper, book etc where results are listed. It is ALWAYS given in the format "goals for" in the first column, "goals against" in the second column. This has been the convention since football scores were first recorded, everywhere in the world except for the bloody stupid "Pinkun" site.

J[quote user="Canary Boy"]This is a slight change from the usual and I wonder what people thoughts are?

For example, if Norwich travel to Manchester Utd and lose 4-1, the media would report that Norwich lose 4-1...correct?

If Norwich won the game by the same score, would you say Norwich won 1-4...or would you say Norwich win away 4-1?

I have always thought the score should be in order of whether you are home or away...is that right?

I''m only asking as I report for another football club and someone has mentioned that they thought I was wrong. They say that it should be written "Norwich win 4-1 - even if it''s at Old Trafford. I would say the opposite and write it as Norwich win 1-4. Jesus, OCD or what. !

Would love your thoughts. Thanks![/quote]

[quote user="lord montyjones"]J[quote user="Canary Boy"]This is a slight change from the usual and I wonder what people thoughts are?

I''m only asking as I report for another football club and someone has mentioned that they thought I was wrong. They say that it should be written "Norwich win 4-1 - even if it''s at Old Trafford. I would say the opposite and write it as Norwich win 1-4. Jesus, OCD or what. !

Would love your thoughts. Thanks![/quote][/quote]When you are listing a particular club''s results, it is general practice to put their score first, but you put H or A to indicate where the match took place, and normally W D or L as well as the score.The results pages for each club on Statto.com are a good example, and they also colour-code them so you can see wins draws and defeats at a glance.

[quote user="Power Hamster"][quote user="lord montyjones"]J[quote user="Canary Boy"]This is a slight change from the usual and I wonder what people thoughts are?

Would love your thoughts. Thanks![/quote][/quote]When you are listing a particular club''s results, it is general practice to put their score first, but you put H or A to indicate where the match took place, and normally W D or L as well as the score.The results pages for each club on Statto.com are a good example, and they also colour-code them so you can see wins draws and defeats at a glance.[/quote]Thats correct PH. I challenge anyone to find another site that lists scores as perversely as does the "Pinkun"

SDP, I''d like to report Ricardo. He''s stirring it and it''s not in the spirit of your new year message. I''d also like to sing with you:

All things Pink and wonderful

Hail Moderators all

All "deletes" are wonderful

Us posters love them all.