Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

A thought for the doomongers

Obviously I''m happy to read any number of spurious rumours and discuss any player that someone has spotted on Football Manager or FIFA 21013. That, after all, is what this forum is for. However, I do get frustrated by people who, less than of third of the way through the window, have decided that we won''t be signing anyone.

Let me put this to you. Players moving in the first few days of a window are, unless we''re talking about clubs who can simply pay whatever is necessary to make a deal happen regardless of true market value, squad players or those no longer wanted. Just think for a moment how you would react if City signed such a player, given your inbuilt belief that the club lacks ambition and does things on the cheap .You would, of course, moan like hell and say that we should be more ambitious and go for someone in more demand.

What you want/expect, of course, is a striker banging them in for fun somewhere. Do you reallly think that clubs are going to ship out such a key player without having a replacement lined up ? How would you feel if City sold Holty for big money without having a replacment to hand? You would, of course, criticise the club, quite rightly. Why do you think other clubs should operate differently? If you want a top quality striker, as opposed to someone else''s cast off, the chances are the deal will happen later in the window. How many players do you think have actually changed hands so far?

Just chill out, relax and let our excellent management team get on with it.

I wouldn''t let wiz get you to if I were you.

I can assure nobody in their right mind is kicking up a fuss, just the usual trolls and idiots.

This isn''t the time for sensible posts Robin, this is the time for mass hysteria and overreaction. I would have thought you''d have been around long enough to know that.

I hope to see you make a better effort in the summer window when we haven''t signed Messi & Ronaldo by the end of June.

Beau you are the voice of reason, and of course you are quite right. Look at last January''s dealings, both of those came out of the blue without much of an inkling coming through this board.

But part of the fun of silly season on this forum is the rumours, whose been spotted in Morrisons, a bloke at the club who I can''t reveal told me, and my great aunt''s cousin knows somebody who told him etc. But even for those to be fun there needs to be a bit of credibility in the rumour and that is distinctly lacking at the moment. Basically its a bit boring at the moment and so the forum has gone into doom monger mode.

But on your advice, I will be chilling, putting trust in our management team and hoping for rather than expecting a nice surprise or two later in the month.

COYY

Do you actually think we''ll sign a top quality striker seeing our last striker was a spurs yts.

We are nearly a third of the way into the window and the striking problem hasn''t just reared its head up so are we going to wait until the eleventh hour?

There''s a large bounty up for grabs next season so lets show some ambition.

McNally said the club wants to change the strip every season as that''s what the big clubs do, let''s see this big club thinking follow into other areas of the club too!

In the fine tradition of online forums everywhere, I choose to read the what I want to see, not what you''ve actually written.

You''re absolutely right, we''re signing nobody YET AGAIN D-:

[quote user="Beauseant"]

Obviously I''m happy to read any number of spurious rumours and discuss any player that someone has spotted on Football Manager or FIFA 21013. That, after all, is what this forum is for. However, I do get frustrated by people who, less than of third of the way through the window, have decided that we won''t be signing anyone.

Let me put this to you. Players moving in the first few days of a window are, unless we''re talking about clubs who can simply pay whatever is necessary to make a deal happen regardless of true market value, squad players or those no longer wanted. Just think for a moment how you would react if City signed such a player, given your inbuilt belief that the club lacks ambition and does things on the cheap .You would, of course, moan like hell and say that we should be more ambitious and go for someone in more demand.

What you want/expect, of course, is a striker banging them in for fun somewhere. Do you reallly think that clubs are going to ship out such a key player without having a replacement lined up ? How would you feel if City sold Holty for big money without having a replacment to hand? You would, of course, criticise the club, quite rightly. Why do you think other clubs should operate differently? If you want a top quality striker, as opposed to someone else''s cast off, the chances are the deal will happen later in the window. How many players do you think have actually changed hands so far?

[/quote]

I stand by what I said in a previous thread Beau (why start a new thread and why not post your thoughts in there?) you can chill and I''ll just worry for our suvival.

I worry we''ll waste our money on a CMS, and fail to land a Graham, who is proven at this level.

And PS. Not once have I criticised our manager in this.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

It is hard to disagree with any of the above, but I will give it a go...[;)][:D]

Without being a doomsayer it does seem to me we could find ourselves in a bind this transfer window. Just to back-track, to explain that, the evidence strongly suggests the following:

We made a bid for Mackail-Smith in the last transfer window that was rejected as insufficient. Quite possibly because we didn''t offer enough to give Brighton a profit once they had paid Peterborough as per a sell-on clause. We then didn''t increase the offer, presumably because we didn''t rate Mackail-Smith as worth the asking price, and - at the very last minute - got in Harry Kane, who looked suspiciously like a replacement for the one who got away.

Result: we have played more than half a season at least one PL-quality striker short (and that stays true even if either it wasn''t CMS we were after but someone else, or even if we weren''t after anyone).

Fast-forward to now and our need for at least one (I would double that but...) striker is even more blindingly obvious to everyone in the game than it was in the summer. Which means brinkmanship, deals that could go wrong at the last minute (as with David Cotterill a few years ago), inflated asking prices, agents demanding stratospheric (by our standards) wages etc etc. The whole caboodle of Planet Football as a loadsamoney lesson in designer capitalism.

And no matter how excellent our management team (I regard McNally as the John Ruddy of CEOs) this could end up posing a real dilemma in terms of settling for second-best or paying through the nose in fees and wages for a quality player or players.

There is a pretty big wedge of difference between buying a pricey player to bang in some goals and getting into crippling debt...

I''m with Wiz on this one, with the HK Blunder at the last moment of the summer window I''m afraid confidence is pretty low in knowing whether the club can wrangle a quality signing for our attack.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

It is hard to disagree with any of the above, but I will give it a go...[;)][:D]

Without being a doomsayer it does seem to me we could find ourselves in a bind this transfer window. Just to back-track, to explain that, the evidence strongly suggests the following:

We made a bid for Mackail-Smith in the last transfer window that was rejected as insufficient. Quite possibly because we didn''t offer enough to give Brighton a profit once they had paid Peterborough as per a sell-on clause. We then didn''t increase the offer, presumably because we didn''t rate Mackail-Smith as worth the asking price, and - at the very last minute - got in Harry Kane, who looked suspiciously like a replacement for the one who got away.

Result: we have played more than half a season at least one PL-quality striker short (and that stays true even if either it wasn''t CMS we were after but someone else, or even if we weren''t after anyone).

Fast-forward to now and our need for at least one (I would double that but...) striker is even more blindingly obvious to everyone in the game than it was in the summer. Which means brinkmanship, deals that could go wrong at the last minute (as with David Cotterill a few years ago), inflated asking prices, agents demanding stratospheric (by our standards) wages etc etc. The whole caboodle of Planet Football as a loadsamoney lesson in designer capitalism.

And no matter how excellent our management team (I regard McNally as the John Ruddy of CEOs) this could end up posing a real dilemma in terms of settling for second-best or paying through the nose in fees and wages for a quality player or players.

[/quote]

Let''s hope you''re as spot on with the Dark Lord as you were with Ruddy PC [:D][;)]

Let me throw another scenario into the mix. We may well have made a bid for CMS (although that''s still open to debate) but our interest was very, very late in the day, as was the acquisition of Kane (a much better player than some are suggesting, but that''s another story; we are, after all, running low on scapegoats).

I think you''re right about the one that got away, but I don''t think it was CMS. I believe it was someone else (and I don''t know who) and that CMS and Kane were BOTH fallbacks, with Kane coming in at the very last minute because Brighton wanted more than we were prepared to pay for CMS.

I don''t think anyone at the club is under illusions about the need for strikers (Hughton has mentioned it in the last four interviews I''ve heard) but they won''t buy for the sake of it, or pay ridiculously inflated prices. Of course, that could result in the same outcome, but the assumption that we''re not buying because there isn''t much money available is pure supposition. I suspect that we will all be pleasantly surprised in the next three weeks, however, because the thing we now have going for us that we didn''t have in the summer is a strong statistical likelihood of Prem survival.

There''s a lot of supposition there, but no more than you''ve used, because, lets be honest, none of us know a sodding thing about what''s going on, do we? [:D][:P]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Let''s hope you''re as spot on with the Dark Lord as you were with Ruddy PC [:D][;)]

Let me throw another scenario into the mix. We may well have made a bid for CMS (although that''s still open to debate) but our interest was very, very late in the day, as was the acquisition of Kane (a much better player than some are suggesting, but that''s another story; we are, after all, running low on scapegoats).

I think you''re right about the one that got away, but I don''t think it was CMS. I believe it was someone else (and I don''t know who) and that CMS and Kane were BOTH fallbacks, with Kane coming in at the very last minute because Brighton wanted more than we were prepared to pay for CMS.

I don''t think anyone at the club is under illusions about the need for strikers (Hughton has mentioned it in the last four interviews I''ve heard) but they won''t buy for the sake of it, or pay ridiculously inflated prices. Of course, that could result in the same outcome, but the assumption that we''re not buying because there isn''t much money available is pure supposition. I suspect that we will all be pleasantly surprised in the next three weeks, however, because the thing we now have going for us that we didn''t have in the summer is a strong statistical likelihood of Prem survival.

There''s a lot of supposition there, but no more than you''ve used, because, lets be honest, none of us know a sodding thing about what''s going on, do we? [:D][:P]

[/quote]

Beau, I can''t speak for anyone else but I cheerfully admit to not having a clue about what''s going on in terms of transfers. Which is as it should be.

As to your idea that CMS was a fallback, that is distinctly possible and fits in perfectly with my scenario of the dilemma of whether to buy second-best. I have never seen him play but from what I have read it sounds as if his level is at the top of the championship but probably not higher than that. So if we had lost out on our number one target then we might well have jibbed at paying over the odds for him. But I suspect the argument may have shifted now, because of our obvious need for at least one striker, and the possibility of relegation concentrating the mind, so that we might be now more prepared to buy second-best if the alternative is no-one.

That said I don''t for a moment think a lack of money is the reason why we haven''t bought anyone yet. I posted a few days ago that it wouldn''t surprise me if Smith and Jones and/or Foulger weren''t helping out on the quiet. Even if not I am reasonably confident a fair amount has been made available.

Some great posts here, with reasoned thought out responses - an oasis of calm in the tumultuous rumour and counter rumour waters of the winter transfer window!!I tend to agree with the OP, it is likely to come down to the last week/days of January for the very reasons Beau outlines above.  I would like to see a striker or two come in, and if NCFC announced deals had been done tomorrow for a couple of forwards then I''d be delighted, but by the same token, common sense and availability of both funds and players dictate that it is far more likely to go down to the wire.An interesting hypothesis - what if we get to 1st February, and no new players have been signed (for whatever reason, and I have to clarify that I don''t actually think this will be the case) - would this mean relegation without a doubt?  For some I guess it might, but the cold hard truth of the matter is that none of us know (though we could safely say it probably wouldn''t help!).I don''t think it would, but that is just my opinion.  I personally think we would survive, I think our midfielders and defenders will continue to chip in with goals, players will come back from injury, and there is always the chance players like Jackson, Morison, Kane etc will step up to the mark.  Additionally, and accepting the last few results (but not performances, perhaps bar West Ham) haven''t been great, our ten game unbeaten run really does stand us in good stead as we go into this new year.

(Does this make me a happy clapper or a binner lol ??)

Out of Hooper and Graham I would much prefer Graham as already proven at this level.

Not saying Hooper wouldn''t be any good but at this moment in our young premiership life imho Graham obviously wouldn''t be a gamble.

Not sure where this £7 million price tag comes from either for Hooper. Surely if he is in the last 6 months of his contract (think I''m right in saying that) we can get him ALOT cheaper than £7 mil or Celtic risk losing him for nothing

OP you have a point and your post makes sense , I''m just nervous and impatient. I am just convinced like you (I assume) that we need some more options up front. I understand that I might have to wait etc... but there''s have not been any really encouraging signs have there? Graham''s scored in his last few games,... I don''t want to be a doommonger , I guess it''s my character and the fact that we had to sit up untill midnight to hear we had signed HK the last deadline day. I was extremely underwhelmed and there''s reason for that (cfr last game vs WH)

Just thought I would add that both our January transfers last season, came quite late in the window. Howson was signed on the 24th (the third week of the window) and Bennett was signed on the last day (pretty near closing time if I recall correctly). So to not hear anything within the first 10 days is not particularly unusual.

I too believe CMS was a back up last summer; probably kept warm in the background whilst our main target was being approached (but I have no clue as to who that was).  It has been written that McNally had done a lot of work on contracts etc before the target pulled out.  Again I would not doubt such an approach has been underway for some time this window.  It may well have been for Graham, but now Swansea are virtually at Wembley I think that avenue has closed - expect an extension of his contract at Swansea to be confirmed shortly (probably after securing Wembley place) just to ensure they can cash in on him during the summer (it will mean they will have to make it worth his while signing up though - which might put the stop to any other major contractual deal the Swans do which will be a good thing for us and others).

I am also certain that there is a reasonable amount in the budget for this window - there has not been so much talk as in past seasons of us being unable to go for a big player.  That may be realsitically because there actually aren''t that many such players out there more than pressure on our playing budget.  Any deals that will be done probably will rest more on what the 4th Round results look like (for others rather than ourselves) so as with Beau wouldn''t expect any deals until 28 -31 period.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]OP you have a point and your post makes sense , I''m just nervous and impatient. I am just convinced like you (I assume) that we need some more options up front. I understand that I might have to wait etc... but there''s have not been any really encouraging signs have there? Graham''s scored in his last few games,... I don''t want to be a doommonger , I guess it''s my character and the fact that we had to sit up untill midnight to hear we had signed HK the last deadline day. I was extremely underwhelmed and there''s reason for that (cfr last game vs WH)[/quote]

I certainly think we need more options up front, but I think that there''s a tendency to get fixated on names being bandied around in the media without much real substance and then being upset when they don''t sign. Realistically we don''t know who the actual targets are, and it may be that Hooper and Graham haven''t been high on the club''s list. Consequently,I''d welcome either but won''t be diappointed if we don''t get them.

Cast your mind back to the Tettey situation.For two or three days we''d been strongly linked with Lucas Biglia, with Tettey only getting passing mentions. When the club trailed a signing announcement I suspect that most of us (and certainly me) expected them to unveil Biglia, yet it was Tettey. In reality I don''t believe we were ever realistically in the hunt for Biglia, but it provided an effective smokescreen and garnered lots of media speculation. That''s the way the club does business these days.

We are short up front thats a fact its not a gamble to pay good money its a must, if we stay up and if we have more firepower there is a good chance,then the money paid will be a pittance, unless all this money we hear floating about the prem is bs. Nobody wants us to bust the bank at the same time we must get real, is Hooper better than what we have, in my mind way better. I get sick of all this, you are not a proper fan, you want us to spend money do a leeds bs, i want what it takes to keep us in the best league in the world and eventually compete for top half rather than survival every year.

With morison out for at least a couple more weeks we do need an alternative but it may just be a couple of weeks before a signing arrives.

Hooper would add something for us,   but with no bid made yet it will be a while before anyone arrives 

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]OP you have a point and your post makes sense , I''m just nervous and impatient. I am just convinced like you (I assume) that we need some more options up front. I understand that I might have to wait etc... but there''s have not been any really encouraging signs have there? Graham''s scored in his last few games,... I don''t want to be a doommonger , I guess it''s my character and the fact that we had to sit up untill midnight to hear we had signed HK the last deadline day. I was extremely underwhelmed and there''s reason for that (cfr last game vs WH)[/quote]

I certainly think we need more options up front, but I think that there''s a tendency to get fixated on names being bandied around in the media without much real substance and then being upset when they don''t sign. Realistically we don''t know who the actual targets are, and it may be that Hooper and Graham haven''t been high on the club''s list. Consequently,I''d welcome either but won''t be diappointed if we don''t get them.

Cast your mind back to the Tettey situation.For two or three days we''d been strongly linked with Lucas Biglia, with Tettey only getting passing mentions. When the club trailed a signing announcement I suspect that most of us (and certainly me) expected them to unveil Biglia, yet it was Tettey. In reality I don''t believe we were ever realistically in the hunt for Biglia, but it provided an effective smokescreen and garnered lots of media speculation. That''s the way the club does business these days.

[/quote]Oh you mean liike when basically all the newspapers told us that Snodgrass signing for about a month or so before  he did?

I think the issue is we do need a striker - now we''ve missed Newcastle for me the next important game is QPR away where we''d hope to get points. The danger of last minute brinksmanship from our perspective is we end up with no-one thereby placing our PL status at further, arguably unnecessary, risk.

One thing is clear.  We do not need to buy any players to allow us to survive this season. We have enough strength and ability to get enough points. We simply get behind what we have and support it - the team, squad and management.  

If and I say if, we buy any players during this window it will be because they will help the future of the club next season and beyond.      Any new player will need time to bed in - and will not be of sufficient quality and experience that they can go straight into the team anyway.   

As at the beginning of the season, we just need to trust Hughton to get on with his job.  I do wonder at how people get so worried and angst ridden at the thought of not getting new players.   The recent history and story of our club is of a measured development with a restraint on finances that will always be there because of the sort of club we are and the way we are being run.   

We may or may not get a player or two during this window.   If we do it will be because they will be part of the development of the team/squad for next season - not as a knee jerk reaction to the perceived need to get some magical answer to a problem that in all honesty doesn''t really exist.    Its not long since we had a ten match unbeaten run for goodness sake and have only had four difficult matches with only narrow defeats.  

New players, yes, but for the right reasons only - long term development.

[quote user="lake district canary"]One thing is clear.  We do not need to buy any players to allow us to survive this season. We have enough strength and ability to get enough points. We simply get behind what we have and support it - the team, squad and management.  

If and I say if, we buy any players during this window it will be because they will help the future of the club next season and beyond.      Any new player will need time to bed in - and will not be of sufficient quality and experience that they can go straight into the team anyway.   

As at the beginning of the season, we just need to trust Hughton to get on with his job.  I do wonder at how people get so worried and angst ridden at the thought of not getting new players.   The recent history and story of our club is of a measured development with a restraint on finances that will always be there because of the sort of club we are and the way we are being run.   

We may or may not get a player or two during this window.   If we do it will be because they will be part of the development of the team/squad for next season - not as a knee jerk reaction to the perceived need to get some magical answer to a problem that in all honesty doesn''t really exist.    Its not long since we had a ten match unbeaten run for goodness sake and have only had four difficult matches with only narrow defeats.  

[/quote]

That is by no means clear.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="lake district canary"]One thing is clear.  We do not need to buy any players to allow us to survive this season. We have enough strength and ability to get enough points. We simply get behind what we have and support it - the team, squad and management.  

[/quote]

[/quote]

25 points halfway through the season would not make that pretty clear?

Bailey made a pretty good point the other day I thought. If we had lost at Swansea and won at West Ham would there be quite the clamour for new signings? Along with him, I think not.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

10 match unbeaten is now history we aint won a game all over xmas, we needed a striker at the start of season in my book and we need to address it now i can remember when one year we were 7th at xmas and got relegated, you can never rest on your laurels, you should strive to improve at every opportunity imo.