Sign in to follow this  
Viva Marc Libbra

Per Ciljan Skjelbred linked

I WOULD LOVE us to sign him, and players with similarly long and hard to pronounce names, maybe the women behind me won''t be able to say any of the players names so will give up moaning. (She was once moaning when we were winning 5-0 or 5-1, HOW? It wasn''t even joke moaning, it was serious moaning, she moaned less when we lost 7-1 to Colchester, although she did say Holt was too fat and would never be any good.)

Anyway, never heard of him... But sign him up anyway.

Hadn''t heard that we were in for him. Actually a player I had considered as a possible acquisition, but had disregarded because he is contracted at Hamburg until 2015 (I think, can''t quite remember).

But if we can pick him up- and for FREE- that represents good business.

I like to think of him as a weird combination of David Fox and Wes Hoolahan. He is small and fairly zippy (not blistering). Bit of a terrier in midfield and has excellent ability to control the ball. Despite his lack of size he is difficult to shift off the ball.

Has a very good range of passing- short or long- but not quite as good as Fox. And good vision, so he can seen as a playmaker from deep. However, like Wes, he is frequently played as an attacking midfielder behind striker/s. Has the passing and the technical ability to create and score and has a very good cross on him and is two-footed, which is useful as he drifts wide.

Simply put: he can be as influential and effective as Fox without quite the passing ability and has the vision and terrier like qualities of Wes without quite the magic.

Or at least, that''s how I have always seen him.

Strange if he''s being allowed to leave for nothing. Hasn''t been involved in many matches this season, but I think he has started the last 3 or 4 before the winter break.

Any idea why?

According to Wiki, which we always trust, Hamburg said in November they wanted to sell him (ie get rid of him) when the transfer window opened.

Never, ever heard of him. That said, how many people had really heard of Tettey?

[quote user="AJ"]Never, ever heard of him. That said, how many people had really heard of Tettey?[/quote]Not me, and it looks like Skjelbred and Tettey are good friends from their time at Rosenborg.

Slightly strange, if true. Although he is seemingly a defensive midfielder (22 career goals in 233 games), he is rather short - 5 foot 9 inches, which is not much taller than Wes. He has had severe leg injuries, suggesting that he may be a strong tackler.

He went to Hamburg in August 2011, and has played only 14 games since, and is now out of favour.

Hamburg are talking about selling him in the Window, so unless he comes very cheaply, I can''t see the advantage.

Never heard of him but from watching some videos he seems to have good skill/vision and a range of passes.

I think if we can ship some people out there would be room for another midfielder, plus its a squad game nowadays.

Striker(s) is where the majority of our money needs to go though.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]According to Wiki, which we always trust, Hamburg said in November they wanted to sell him (ie get rid of him) when the transfer window opened.

[/quote]

Has recently come back into the first team since November though and getting some good reviews in centre of midfield. Think the change of manager to Frings has helped him out a lot. Not really sure about this link to be honest.

Plays centre midfield, but not very defensive - would be similar to Howson.

Ah, of course! He transferred to Hamburg in August, then regime change a few months later- new guy didn''t want him. Doesn''t mean much as these things happen.

One or two leg injuries, but nothing wrong with his leg since early 2012, and that wasn''t anything major.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]According to Wiki, which we always trust, Hamburg said in November they wanted to sell him (ie get rid of him) when the transfer window opened.

[/quote]

Has recently come back into the first team since November though and getting some good reviews in centre of midfield. Think the change of manager to Frings has helped him out a lot. Not really sure about this link to be honest.

Plays centre midfield, but not very defensive - would be similar to Howson.

[/quote]

Indeed, Bethnal, he may have come back into favour since the club announced that, because he has been playing.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]You mean that Fink has left? Why was I not informed?[/quote]

No sorry, got my Frings and Finks mixed up. Fink is still there.

If we are signing anyone from Hamburg would like it to be Son Heung-Ming but we can''t have everything in life.

Hmm. But I was under the impression that Fink was the reason he wasn''t playing?

Besides which, it was Arnesen who announced that he would sold this January- maybe its already in motion, as it were.

Speaking of which, why not take Marcus Berg while we''re at it? Thoughts?

[quote user="marvin the martian"]He''s 5 foot 9, isn''t Wes 5''6'''' ? [/quote]

I saw Wes in Sainsbury''s just before Christmas, me being about 5''10, I''d say he''s about 5''6, 5''7ish.

As for this Skjelbred fella - I think he''d be another great signing - work well with Tettey and is creative, but from further back.

OK, yes he''s another midfielder, but we have to remember that Hughton is slowly moulding his own team and squad. He inherited a pretty decent squad, but feels he needs to take it on a step.

If we can get him for nothing, a great asset.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]Hmm. But I was under the impression that Fink was the reason he wasn''t playing? Besides which, it was Arnesen who announced that he would sold this January- maybe its already in motion, as it were. Speaking of which, why not take Marcus Berg while we''re at it? Thoughts?[/quote]

He was picked for the last few games before the winter break and has played in a couple of friendlies. Things haven''t been going so great this season so maybe Frink wants to try something new. Although I do think Arnsen has final say over all transfers.

If its true that Hughton scouted Skjelbred whilst he was at Rosenborg, maybe that''s how he knew about Tettey as well. Although it''s not as if Tettey was that obscure being a Norwegian international and all.

[quote user="Militant Canary"]I knew he''d played the last few games, but I don''t know the context. Why was he recalled? Injuries? Squad rotation? Or, as you say, trying something different?[/quote]Or showing the boy to the market, hoping the boy shines to increase his value.

[quote user="Ches right hand man "][quote user="Militant Canary"]I knew he''d played the last few games, but I don''t know the context. Why was he recalled? Injuries? Squad rotation? Or, as you say, trying something different?[/quote]

Or showing the boy to the market, hoping the boy shines to increase his value.
[/quote]

I doubt a struggling Hamburg will risk some results on the off chance a few games will add £500k to a players value.

Newcastle and Hughton seem to have a very long-standing interest in this guy, according to this extract from an article from a few years ago:

"NEWCASTLE United boss Chris Hughton could be the Toon manager who finally ends up signing Norwegian international Per Ciljan Skjelbred.And a move for Stoke City’s 6ft 3in Leon Cort is also a growing possibility for Hughton as he looks to reinforce his defensive options.Hughton is currently drawing up a shortlist of transfer targets after being told he can bolster his squad during the January window.The Chronicle understands that Mike Ashley’s decision to take the club off the market means the Toon owner is happy to let Hughton deal in the transfer market once again after 10 months of no cash signings.However, the arrival of Rosenborg’s Skjelbred could be on an initial loan deal, with a view to a permanent move.The 22-year-old has been on Newcastle’s radar for almost 18 months, and was originally on a shortlist drawn up by United’s failed transfer team of Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez, who put the player forward as a possible signing for then boss Kevin Keegan – before he walked out on the Magpies last year.Joe Kinnear is thought to have spurned the chance to sign the Trondheim-born ace, but Alan Shearer was understood to be considering all options until Ashley went cold on the idea of appointing him on a full-time basis.United continued to track the exciting winger, with Magpies scout Norman Wooster keep tabs on the Scandinavian star [...]"

"

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I WOULD LOVE us to sign him, and players with similarly long and hard to pronounce names, maybe the women behind me won''t be able to say any of the players names so will give up moaning. (She was once moaning when we were winning 5-0 or 5-1, HOW? It wasn''t even joke moaning, it was serious moaning, she moaned less when we lost 7-1 to Colchester, although she did say Holt was too fat and would never be any good.)

Anyway, never heard of him... But sign him up anyway.[/quote]The name should be pronounced something likePEAR SILYAN SHELBREDHere''s a link for authentic Norwegian pronounciationhttp://www.forvo.com/word/per_ciljan_skjelbred/Should we sign him, he''d probably be called Shelvedbread

How can he be available on a free?! If he is, why isn''t there a massive queue forming for his signature?!

[quote user="AJ"]How can he be available on a free?! If he is, why isn''t there a massive queue forming for his signature?![/quote]

Same reason there wasn''t a massive queue for Tettey, hasn''t been getting many games recently so a little bit of a gamble.