Sign in to follow this  
HampsteadCanary

Chris Martin

It was interesting reading his response to the new loan at Swindon, sounds like he''s finally realised that hard work and doing the business on the pitch are the only things fans and managers want to see. Lets hope he keeps his head screwed on, does well for Swindon and either comes back to us with confidence and a good work ethic, or gets himself a good deal somewhere else and earns or club a decent transfer fee! I''d love it if he stayed and got his act together, not sure if it would happen though.

There''s hope for you yet Hampstead - although not sure why we are bothering

Paddy Davitt@paddyjdavitt

boss says Martin, Chris not in the same boat as ward. Decision still to make on his long term future

I have mixed feelings about Chris Martin and will ultimately reserve judgement. Hughton knows talent when he sees it and if he keeps him and plays him next season, we should all give him time to impress.

Worth remembering what Elliott Bennett said when asked on twitter who the most technically gifted players at Norwich were. He didn''t say Wes, which was expected. Instead, he singled out Chris Martin as having simply amazing skills. Talent and the application of that talent are two very different things. But, if Hughton can make that happen, then who knows.

In 8 years not one manager has wanted to let chris leave,  which is an acheivement in itself,  and it seems CH is also seeing something in him.   

IF CM has finally realised that effort and committment are needed and he can translate his talent into performances perhaps he can do enough in the coming months to earn himself some more time under this manager too.   He must be getting close to last chance saloon with #ncfc though

Its interesting, you don''t often hear of really talented players that come good later on through applying themselves rather than lack of opportunity, like Holt. I was a fan of Martin when he first broke into the side, would love to see a home grown player do well for Norwich. Same goes for Korey and Adeyemi, just wish they got loan time at bigger clubs in the championship to get them ready for Prem.

Zipper''s analysis

In 8 years not one manager has wanted to let chris leave,

"What''s he got on Delia then?"  [;)]

He''s a decent player but he''s not going to make it at this level, not good enough for it.

I think there seemingly being a lack of Championship clubs eager to take him on loan (or permanently) tells a story too.

Personally, I gave up hope with Martin, a long time ago, and was going to list as another player who wasted the talented. Always felt he comes across as very disinterested, and not in love with the sport.

If someone like Di Canio, can drive some of his passion and work ethic into Chris Martin, it would be very interesting to see what product is left. He may not be premiership quality, but certainly a decent championship player.

[quote user="GJP"]

He''s a decent player but he''s not going to make it at this level, not good enough for it.

I think there seemingly being a lack of Championship clubs eager to take him on loan (or permanently) tells a story too.

[/quote]

I''m surprised that so many Norwich fans, after what they have witnessed since 2009, still pedal this line that X is "not good enough for the championship" or "Y is league 1 level" or "Z is not good enough for the Premier League".  We seem to forget that Lambert made a total mockery of those kind of prenouncements. When Wes first arrived at the club under Roeder, if someone would have said "this guy can play in the Premier League" fans would have called for a straight jacket. Ditto Grant Holt, ditto Russell Martin we could go on and on.

That''s not to say that players like Chris Martin definitely will "make it" in the EPL, and i do wonder if he will ever get his head right such that he could, but to just say he "can''t" or won''t is a nonsense and is plain wrong.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="GJP"]

n

[/quote]

I''m surprised that so many Norwich fans, after what they have witnessed since 2009, still pedal this line that X is "not good enough for the championship" or "Y is league 1 level" or "Z is not good enough for the Premier League".  We seem to forget that Lambert made a total mockery of those kind of prenouncements. When Wes first arrived at the club under Roeder, if someone would have said "this guy can play in the Premier League" fans would have called for a straight jacket. Ditto Grant Holt, ditto Russell Martin we could go on and on.

That''s not to say that players like Chris Martin definitely will "make it" in the EPL, and i do wonder if he will ever get his head right such that he could, but to just say he "can''t" or won''t is a nonsense and is plain wrong.

[/quote]

I totally agree A1. It seems to be one of the curses of FM and other games. This notion that players have a predetermined level. In real life it''s rubbish. Another example is this notion that transfers take five minutes.

Whatever people say about Chris Martin, his late equalise, IIRC, against Leeds at CR was excellent.I desperatly want him to play in the Norwich squad so that when he scores can sing:Look at the starsLook how they shine for youand all the thing you dobecause he''s all yellow!...I''ll get my coat.

Chris Martin was top/joint top scorer at a championship club last year that wernt scoring that many, in only 2/3rds or so of the season there.

He was first choice under Lambert for us before he got injured.

How can anyone say he isn''t Championship standerd? He wasnt even poor in the PL, wasn''t good against WBA, but no one was on that day, was good against Chelsea and Stoke. Don''t quite know what some expect from him.

But Di Canio, one of the best/most talented forward to play in the PL rates him, desperatly wants him and surely he''s aiming for promotion, so wants him in the championship next season as well?

Oh well, I''ve given up trying to understand why some constantly try and put Martin down.

This, from a Swindon fan, sums him up perfectly IMO;

"I think you need to watch Martin what he does in a game and what he brings to the side. His movement and first touch is excellent and remember when he came to us he wasn''t fit and it has taken him a few weeks to get up to the fitness levels of our players. But now he is sharper, quicker, leaner and seems to have more pace and he is going to start cracking the goals in very soon.

He is a good player and I''m glad we have him a bit longer. It wasn''t that long ago he was the top scorer in L1 when Norwich won the league and you don''t lose it just like that. He has been in and out of the team at Norwich and probably on a bit of a downer but all these players like the Paolo method and they can all see something good is happening on the pitch and he wants to be part of it otherwise its back to Norwich in the reserves.

I am confident Martin is going to be banging them in starting at Bournemouth this week."

(I cleaned the quote up a bit for spelling and grammar.)

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s not like I''ve written Chris Martin off willy nilly. I was singing the guys praises years ago when he was still at youth/reserve level and hadn''t featured for the first team. He looked like one of the best prospects we''d had for a long time.

But we''re 6, 7, 8 years down the line now and I''ve seen enough of Chris Martin to know that while he''s going to be a decent professional footballer in the football league he is not going to be a regular Premier League player.

I''ve never written off Grant Holt or Wes Hoolahan because I''ve always fancied them to have enough about them to make the grade in the Championship and then the Premier League.

It''s nothing personal, he just doesn''t show enough to look like he could make it in the Prem. You have to draw the line somewhere and you''d be sticking your head in the sand if you can''t see that all the signs are he''s not good enough for this level.