Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

strike force for newcastle

Holt has to play if he is fit. Would like to see Benno given a run. I also can''t see Hughton playing two up front. If Holt doesn''t make it then I think he''ll go with Kane. We desperately need new blood - a really important game on Saturday.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]

Bennet and Jackson, plenty of pace, shown enough to deserve a runout against the Geordies.

Holt on the bench.

Agree?

[/quote]

One game against a shockingly poor Peterborough? Get real.

I would like to see Bennett in for Pilkington but Jackson isn''t a Prem quality striker and leaving Holt out for him is simply laughable.

Maybe drop Pilkington for Bennett, push Snodgrass on to the left, Bennet on the right, But Pilkington has been ok at home and not so good away, so even that is a tough call. Have to agree that if Holt is fit he has to play, he will cause havoc for their back 4, Jackson is a good plan B.

Have to agree with the pace angle.  Newcastle''s shakey defence will struggle against pace.  How and who we incorporate into this is another question.

If Holt is anything but fully fit I would start with a midfield and attack of -

Bennett                Snodgrass               Johnson                            Pilkington

Hoolahan

Jackson

[quote user="Proper Charlie"]Maybe drop Pilkington for Bennett, push Snodgrass on to the left.[/quote]

I really don''t think moving Snodgrass is a good idea. He has been one of our best performers of the season, I don''t think moving him would be a good idea when its working so well. He put his best performaces in for Leeds on the right so must be more comfortable out on that side.

I''m not going to guess at the formation until we hear more news on Holty, as think that''ll make a massive difference to how we shape up.

Every time someone suggests playing Snodgrass on the left I cry....

WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY?

He''s a right winger, simple. He can probably play on the left as well, but the fact he''s only played on the RW for us, i''ve only ever seen him play RW or in the middle sort of suggests he isn''t all that effective as a left winger. He doesn''t like to beat his man too often, when you are on the wing that matches your strong foot, you have to do that to put the ball in the box. Its why Bennett wouldn''t be able to do a Snodgrass and play on the opposite wing as well, he runs at the FB and gets a cross in like that, so if he played LW, he''d have to put left footed crosses in...

Pilkington has had a game off now anyway, so he shouldn''t look so tired this time, he''s better than Bennett and Snodgrass when on form, easily.

I think we should play Holt, but perhaps for only half the game to restore some fitness, and then the two quick men. I don''t think that Jackson/Benno will get so much freedom as they had aginst Posh, but could come on later to play against tiring defenders.

I think that the Newcastle defence will be rugged and physical, as the whole team fight for their lives, and Holt''s muscuklar approach will be more useful.

I agree Bennett deserves more game time, but you cannot drop Snoddy, and I can''t see Bennett being as effective down the left wing, nor Snoddy.

As for the striker up top, Holt no doubt. If he''s not fit then yes it should be Jackson, but it probably won''t be. We desperately need replacements for the likes of C.Martin and Morison who just aren''t giving the goods up. Jacko is unlucky because the formation doesn''t suit him too much, but he did Okay against Peterborough and took his goal well.

Its all about playing to your strongest foot GP, Beckham wasn''t one with pace to beat a man, he could just put quality balls in without needing to, this is something that Snodgrass could do on the left, as opposed to more often than not turning inside to be on his stronger foot, when he plays on the right, or ineffectively using the outside of his left, which he has done on more than one occasion this season.

He is however a quality player and i''m just glad that he''s on form,he does have the ability to play on either wing in my opinion.

stick with the formation that has won us points. 

Wes Pilkington and Snoddy have been excellent,  Wes will have benefitted from the rest,  pilkington & snoddy have been our two best attackers,   pilkington particularly at home - why would we change??   Holt I think will start so stick to what has served us well.

As Beau points out performing against an abjectly poor posh is no comparison to newcastle.    Stick with what IS our winning formula,  but know Jackson Fox and Bennett remain good sub options for us.   

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Wes Pilkington and Snoddy have been excellent,  Wes will have benefitted from the rest,  pilkington & snoddy have been our two best attackers,   pilkington particularly at home - why would we change??   Holt I think will start so stick to what has served us well.

As Beau points out performing against an abjectly poor posh is no comparison to newcastle.    Stick with what IS our winning formula,  but know Jackson Fox and Bennett remain good sub options for us.   

[/quote]

Exactly! What has Pilkington done wrong?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[/quote]

Exactly! What has Pilkington done wrong?

[/quote]Being inconsistent?

I agree he can be inconsistent but he is our best player in the EA stats without being less inconsistent that he appears.  His home efforts are much better too..       

He is a must start for me - but one to sub earlier when it looks like he is having an off day.  

Looks like Plan A - it will be Holt up front.

Paddy Davitt@paddyjdavitt

Injury-wise for holt trained 2day. No reaction and he will b in the squad. Too soon for surman, whitts + morison.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Have to agree with the pace angle.  Newcastle''s shakey defence will struggle against pace.  How and who we incorporate into this is another question.

If Holt is anything but fully fit I would start with a midfield and attack of -

Bennett                Snodgrass               Johnson                            Pilkington

Hoolahan

Jackson

[/quote]
No Tettey??  And would that be Snodgrass in the holding role instead or are you going to play 4-1-4-1 or perhaps 4-1-3-1-1 ???

Tettey on the bench.

Snodgrass playing a Fox type role in right centre mid.  Pace on the wings, tricky of Hoolahan, a bit of pace up front with Jackson, quality passing, hard work, and set pieces from Snoddy in a slightly different role than he is used to and Johnson, well hopefully being Johnson at his best.

After pummeling the Newcastle defence with that for 60 mins or so, we then have the options of bringing Holt and Tettey etc on.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Rock The Boat"]

Bennet and Jackson, plenty of pace, shown enough to deserve a runout against the Geordies.

Holt on the bench.

Agree?

[/quote]

One game against a shockingly poor Peterborough? Get real.

I would like to see Bennett in for Pilkington but Jackson isn''t a Prem quality striker and leaving Holt out for him is simply laughable.

[/quote]

Why laughable- are you the new City1st?

Holt has been injured and not match fit.He will struggle if played for 90 minutes, therefore needs to be on the bench.

Who would have imagined before the Cup game that Bennett would be playing a strikers role? Very astute tactics from CH in getting two very pacy strikers up front. Now Newcastle''s greatest weakness is their shaky defence and two fast boys up front will cause them all sorts of problems. What more do Simeon and Elliot have to do? They proved themselves to be a great pairing last week and deserve to go again  

Jackson did the press conference yesterday, that usually means the player is starting (albeit Hughton did not confirm).

So Jackson to start with hopefully Holt on the bench should we need him.

COYY

Its unlikely Holt will be 100% fit of course, but really cant understand why anyone would not out him in even at 70-80% fit, he is so much better than anything else we have, regardless of Jackson who did do well last week. Holt gives us leadership in addition to causing major problems across the oppositions defence and being capable of holding the ball up...which is so crucial, without him, this type of player, the ball simply comes pinging back and our defence takes it mor than they should. Losing Holt is like losing two players....

whilst i think Holt is great and no doubt our best striker (although hopefully someone will at least be challenging him at the end of Jan!)

I do have a concern that throwing him straight back in to the team will send the wrong message to him. After the summer contract fiasco, and with his reputation for not exactly keeping fit pre season and taking a few games to hit his stride I dont think its healthy to make him think he is totally indispensible (even if he probably is!!)

I love the guy but he has a hint of arrogance (as all good strikers do) so i just feel hughton needs to temper this.

For me i would give Jackson the chance to prove himself, which he must be desperate, to do and then if necessary bring Holt on.

Might also be an idea for any potential new signings (Hooper?!?) to see that Holt isnt always guaranteed a start!