Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Graham Stuart

What is everyone view of our latest signing?

Personally I think that he has shown the quality that has made him a prem player for the last dozen years or so but he has struggled for match fitness.   I think he would make a fantastic foil for Damo and give us the central midfield quality we have missed so far this season, using him for 60-70 minutes before repalcing him with either Holt or Safri.

My main concern is that Worthy sees him as a good player who should start, looks to play him but possibly out of position as he tries to accomodate his old favourites.   To me that would be a criminal waste.   However the evidence suggests he will do this - Helveg played but out of position, Bentley played but not in his best position, Hux played on the left despite being the best attacking player we have, Charlie our best central defender seen this season moved out to left and then ridiculously right back because you cant drop flem.  We then wonder why these players have poor games! 

Assuming Jonson is over his virus I would go with Jonson, Stuart, Damo, Brennan in midfield which at least looks balanced (I know Jonson is not a world beater, but basically we have looked better with him in the side than without him even if I cant put a finger on what it is he brings!)  Replacing Jonson with Holt and pushing stuart our wide does not give us the same balance or quality.

What is your view? 

OTBC

Against Blackburn, someone got a knock after 5 minutes.  As the game was stopped, the first thing Stuart did was to run over a grab a drink!  5 minutes in!  Throughout the game he was really red faced, slow and sloppy.  The right hand side looked awful with him and the injured out of position Charlton.

I''m suprised he lasted 90 minutes, it may have been that Worthy ran out of subs.  It seems stupid to start him, he takes up a substitution, no way can he effectively last a whole game.

I really hope he is getting back to match fitness and not just too old and knackered.

I disagree, we look far more potent with Hucks plus two out-and-out strikers and Jonson is awful. You said it yourself - what does he bring?

Should be: Hucks, Damo, Helveg, McVeigh or Stuart.

This might be a bit gun-ho, but I think we play best when we field an attacking side.

On the subject of Stuart, I so far think he ha been a little hit and miss. I think he shows some lovely touches but is clearly lacking fitness, but I think this will come.

Hucks doesn''t seem to be working up front, but our left is dangerously exposed when he is back there.

I would go 4-1-4-1 with Safri or Holt sitting in front of the backline then Jonsson, Stuart, Francis and Hux  with Deano up front alone.

Hux, Jonson and Francis can all get forward, but when the ball breaks left Francis has the pace to help out Hux with Safri/Holt stepping forward to bolster central midfield. Or the left back goes up and Safri/Holt go over to cover. either way it means we are never short of cover as is often the case at the moment.

Its a system that Chelsea use to great effect, would mean that Stuart could play a central anchor role but not have to cover back or get forward too much if fitness is indeed an issue.

its a bit early to judge Stuart but from what i''ve seen so far I agree with your choices of Francis (of course) and Brennan but I think the remaining centre berth is between Holt and Safri (Holt gets my vote) whilst Stuart competes with Jonson and McVeigh for the right-side (I concur that Jonson probably gets the nod although I''ve seen little that seems to have inspired the awe of others).