Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Pilkington's crosses - or lack of them

Absolutely useless - never got one half decent cross or corner in all afternoon. Is it any wonder we can''t score - we get in decent positions but the ball never arrives in the box. It wouldn''t have made any difference who played centre forward because there was nothing to attack. Turner & Bassong must have been reallh cheesed off running the length of the pitch for every corner but never getting anything to go for. Don''t know what he has in mind each time he''s about to cross but he needs to improve big style.

[quote user="Resident Canary Stig"]Lack of quality granted, lack of quantity not so.[/quote]

This.

I don''t think pilkington was to blame for us not scoring, everyone had an off day

he had a decent first half, the problem was there was no one on the end of them because we had jackson up front

hoolahan & tettey were much worse than anyone else on the pitch today

[quote user="technika"]he had a decent first half, the problem was there was no one on the end of them because we had jackson up front [/quote]How many decent crosses did he put in during the first half - noneDid it make it make any difference when Jackson went off & Holt came on - noIs there''s any point in buying a new striker if he never gets a decent cross or pass - noThe only players on the end of his crosses was the nearest player in black & whitePilkington has been poor for several weeks now & it''s the same old failings week after week - can''t cross, can''t take a corner & can''t keep a shot down. Needs to be dropped.

he had a period in the first half where he put in 6 or 7 decent crosses but they were headed away by newcastles centre backs because jackson is not a combative centre forward, he could challenge as much as he likes but they swiped him away like a fly. Pilkington could have crossed like giggs all game long but it wouldnt have made any difference given there was no one big enough to challenge for it

like i said, you cant pin today on him, he had a better game than most of the players, hoolahan deserves to be dropped after today, and if tettey does the same next time out id drop him as well.

all that aside the blame goes on the gaffer, his tactics, his team choice, his lack of attacking changes

Perhaps 70 mins with only a short man to aim for did affect him. It also worries me when crosses go in that there is often only one man in the box. If Left wing is crossing right wing needs to tuck in for knock downs and vice versa in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 and Hoolahan should also be sniffing.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]His form has been patchy this season and poor of late. It seems he is undroppable.[/quote]Agreed. IMO though, the reason for this is the lack of any depth in this position.I know we need a striker in the transfer window, but I think it''s almost as critical we pick up a left winger.

[quote user="technika"]he had a period in the first half where he put in 6 or 7 decent crosses but they were headed away by newcastles centre backs because jackson is not a combative centre forward, [/quote]Sorry but I didn''t see any of those 6 or 7 decent crosses & neither did Gary Birtles on the stream I was watching. And as I said before, you can''t blame Jackson because basically it was no better when Holt came on.[quote user="technika"]like i said, you cant pin today on him, he had a better game than most of the players,[/quote]Sorry, but I didn''t see it that way either. I though he was dire was our worst player. Next worse was Tetty who now seems incapable of playing a simple pass in the right direction or at the right speed.

If you don''t have an aerially combative attacker in the box then surely the worst thing you can do is cross the ball in?

Pilkingtons set piece delivery was beyond poor.

The dive in the final 5 mins to win a freekick ( which he blasted at someones knee cap ) was frankly embarassing and disgracefull.

Benno deserves a run in the team. Pilkington was really poor today. But he - like everyone else - seems undroppable and the system we play for that matter unchangeable.

Pilks has been poor for the last few games but still seems undroppable, Bennett has to be the unluckiest player at the club as he should have had a few games recently instead of the odd cameo here and there!!

second best cross of teh day was from pilkingtion that jacks failed to attack.

He did not see enough of teh ball and like most used it poorly today - but of the midfielders he was the most likely to score or create.