Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Conclusions from today

1. Hughton will never go for a win while there''s still a chance of losing.2. Hughton will never put 3 subs on in time to make a real difference to the result.3. Tetty''s passing is abysmal - no point in having a defensive midfielder to break up play, winning the ball and giving it straight back again. 4. Tetty has also forgotten that he is allowed to shoot.5. Howson & Fox deserve a chance on the basis that they can''t be any worse than Tetty.  6. Pilkington''s crossing is non existent & needs improving - I suggest a practice session for him at Colney next Saturday afternoon.7. Snodgrass''s crossing isn''t much better but his overall game is streets ahead of Pilkingtons.8. Time for Elliot Bennett to be given an extended run - his pace and crossing ability can make a difference.9. We have scored more goals from headers than any other team - how many more could we have scored if our crossing/set pieces were better.10. No matter what your opinion of Jackson is, he''ll never score unless someone passes to him or puts in a decent cross. 11. Likewise, neither will Holt, Morison, Graham, Hooper or any other centre forward that we might bring in. 12. Where would we be without Johnson - never has a bad game. Solid as a rock.13. If we stay up it will be down to our magnificent defence.14. 40 points is looking a long way off15. Despite all the above, we could have won today if Hughton had had the bottle to go for it.

Scapegoating Tettey is un-called for...Have you forgotten how Bassong looked like a headless chicken ?Or how Wes managed to take one touch to many all day long and dribble round in circles like a dog chasing its tail ?Or how Garido should have singed for Stoke he used the Long ball so much ?There is still a lot of work to be done. Dare I say the blame here lies with Hughton !Jackson vs Williamson and Colachini... LMFAO the defence hardly even had to jump for a header.Substitutions... Jackson for Holt ?!? Wes was woefull and Jackson was making some great moves, if I were Jacko i''d ask for a transfer on Monday as he has no chance under Hughton.Lone Striker at home.... bollocks to us "not being able to win" without Wes. He is a genius. Some games he will win us a game some he will lose. Today most deffinatly he should have been taken off the pitch.Snodgrass was knackered from about the 30th minute. He has a right to be the ammount of game time he has had. Poor old Benno, class act like Jackson. I''d also hand in my transfer request.Hughton is obviously not a betting man and I bet when he orders a pizza he has a Margarita followed by Vanilla Ice Cream.He is predictable and makes poor choices.That said, hes a quality manager... just needs to be sent on a training scheme to teach him "How to properly use a sub" and " Back Up Tactic 101 "

Agree #1,2,6,8,9,10,12,13,14,15

#3,4,5 I don''t think Tetty was as poor as you suggest but Hughton must be wiling to drop and substitute players.

#7 harsh - Snodgrass our best player this season.

#11 PL strikers like Holt and Graham will score.

[quote user="Making Plans"]1. Hughton will never go for a win while there''s still a chance of losing.
2. Hughton will never put 3 subs on in time to make a real difference to the result.
3. Tetty''s passing is abysmal - no point in having a defensive midfielder to break up play, winning the ball and giving it straight back again.
4. Tetty has also forgotten that he is allowed to shoot.
5. Howson & Fox deserve a chance on the basis that they can''t be any worse than Tetty. 
6. Pilkington''s crossing is non existent & needs improving - I suggest a practice session for him at Colney next Saturday afternoon.
7. Snodgrass''s crossing isn''t much better but his overall game is streets ahead of Pilkingtons.
8. Time for Elliot Bennett to be given an extended run - his pace and crossing ability can make a difference.
9. We have scored more goals from headers than any other team - how many more could we have scored if our crossing/set pieces were better.
10. No matter what your opinion of Jackson is, he''ll never score unless someone passes to him or puts in a decent cross.
11. Likewise, neither will Holt, Morison, Graham, Hooper or any other centre forward that we might bring in.
12. Where would we be without Johnson - never has a bad game. Solid as a rock.
13. If we stay up it will be down to our magnificent defence.
14. 40 points is looking a long way off
15. Despite all the above, we could have won today if Hughton had had the bottle to go for it.
[/quote]

I''m finding it harder and harder to disagree with this kind of statement.

After reading this post I''m never taking an opinion from OP seriously. Absolutely ripping into Tettey for no reason, its pathetic. Yeah it was a poor result but get over it ffs

Agree with every point!! It drives me mad, that as long as its 0-0 the manager just won''t make changes until its really late in the game. Our passing was well off today, particularly Tetty so why not bring Fox on? Hoolahan was having a mare, but no keep him on, despite the fact Bennett had had a really good game in that role last week. Every week you see the opposition making changes around the 60min mark, and normally they make a difference. If I was a city sub I wouldn''t even bother warming up till the 80th min.

well said making plans, but dont forget we went a magnificent 10 games unbeaten even though from the other possible points total of 36 we have picked up a pathetic FOUR!! Hughton is far too defensive and although I think we will stay up I am starting to think that until he comes up with a Plan B it will be very close!! God, I hope we dont go to Citeh on last day of the season needing something ala Fulham!!!

I dread to think of the reaction if he''d "gone for it" and we''d conceded a late goal to lose the match.We played badly and got a point.  It could have been worse.  Paul "we''ll score one more than you" Lambert''s team lost at home to Southampton today.How could he have "gone for it"?  What would you have done in terms of subs, formations & systems?

FFS Tettey''s role is to defend and break up the opposition attacks, and pass the ball on to the ball players in the side.  Occassionally if play dictates he can approach the penalty area to potentially get on the end of ball and have a shot.  He is not a ball playing midfielder.  Those players today were so sh*t that Tettey felt he had no option but to do what they should have been doing.  He did most of his role perfectly.  He did what he is not in the team to do badly.  However four other midfielders today (I''m including Hooly in this) did what they had to do badly. 

TETTEY WAS NOT THE WORST CITY PLAYER TODAY - SNODDY, PILKS, JOHNSON & ESPECIALLY HOOLAHAN WERE FAR WORSE.

If you are going to criticise, aim it at the right people.  Jesus.......

he should have had 2 strikers on and gone 442 with Hoolahan off, all this crap, about he could have lost well if he had gone for it he could have WON!!!!!

[quote user="baldyboy"]he should have had 2 strikers on and gone 442 with Hoolahan off, all this crap, about he could have lost well if he had gone for it he could have WON!!!!![/quote]So Hoolahan off, and Jackson & Holt up front with Pilks, Tettey, Johnson & Snodgrass as the midfield?

There are two ways to look at Tettey today.

1) His passing was dismal today, and extremely one-dimensional. It only seemed to go to the right or backwards. Attacking-wise he was a non-event.

2) Defensively I thought he was immaculate. Won tackles and 50/50''s that he had no right to and got us in the position to dictate the game had we had players who could do that.

Yes chops, thats right, after all How many times did Newcastle get into our box? Bunn made one save!!! Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate!!!

[quote user="baldyboy"]Yes chops, thats right, after all How many times did Newcastle get into our box? Bunn made one save!!! Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate!!! [/quote]The only problem I have with this suggestion is that neither Tettey nor Johnson would get forward from centre-mid to support, and so Jackson or Holt would have to drop deeper to collect the ball, effectively making them attacking midfielders, and they aren''t as good in that position as Wes is - even if he had a shocker today.I think Hughton''s substititions made sense.  We don''t know how much game time Grant Holt could have managed today given he''s come back from injury.

[quote user="baldyboy"]Yes chops, thats right, after all How many times did Newcastle get into our box? Bunn made one save!!! Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate!!!
[/quote]

Again hard to argue against, they were there for the taking.

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="baldyboy"]Yes chops, thats right, after all How many times did Newcastle get into our box? Bunn made one save!!! Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate!!! [/quote]

Again hard to argue against, they were there for the taking.

[/quote]I''m still waiting for someone to explain how the subs/team/system could have been used to "take" them.  Would you like to have a try?

Lambert would probably gone 3 at the back, brought Holt on alongside Jacko and won the game. But then everything he did turned to gold when he was with us.Seems to have completely lost his wand at Villa Park.Sometimes you have to be happy with a point and console yourself that we never looked like conceding a goal.We stared the day 7 points clear of the drop zone. We ended the day 7 points clear of the drop zone.

"Whatever you do, or attempt to do, be bold. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it". - Unknown.

This for me sums up why Lambert would have got us the points today and why Hughton may never do so in the same situation.

[quote user="Canary02 IV"]"Whatever you do, or attempt to do, be bold. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it". - Unknown.

This for me sums up why Lambert would have got us the points today and why Hughton may never do so in the same situation.[/quote]This is the same Paul Lambert whose team lost at home to Southampton today?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 IV"]"Whatever you do, or attempt to do, be bold. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it". - Unknown.

This for me sums up why Lambert would have got us the points today and why Hughton may never do so in the same situation.[/quote]This is the same Paul Lambert whose team lost at home to Southampton today?[/quote]

You''re right. The result at Villa Park today means that everything about Paul Lambert is forever etched in failure. If only they''d won today he''d have been the greatest manager in the history of football, not the worst, as he obviously is now.

I thought Tettey had a real curate''s egg of a game today.

Early I remember one or two lovely passing moves he was involved in (one particularly where he cushioned a long ball into the path of the player inside him, which completely threw their defence), but he seemed to deteriorate as the game progressed. Wes was off form today - on several occasions you could see how annoyed he was with himself by desperately harrying back after he''d lost the ball (again).

For about 5 mins after Grant came on we looked like a different team, & I thought we''d cracked it. But we seemed to go off the boil again.

You really have to be strong in this League. Simeon & Wes are all too easy to knock off the ball. You don''t have to be big, but if not you have to be exceptionally strong (a la Tevez).

The point about size and strength is a valid one, and it''s the reason why Fox doesn''t receive the game time he deserves. Unfortunately football seems to be going the way of other sports (particularly the U.S. Sports) which require almost every participant to be a giant with an enormous frame.

When Hughton played Bennett instead of Garrido at West Ham, and when he has made or not made subs earlier in the season because of wanting to keep a bigger presence at set-pieces near the end of the game, it shows how the game is changing.

[quote user="Canary02 IV"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 IV"]"Whatever you do, or attempt to do, be bold. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it". - Unknown.

This for me sums up why Lambert would have got us the points today and why Hughton may never do so in the same situation.[/quote]This is the same Paul Lambert whose team lost at home to Southampton today?[/quote]

You''re right. The result at Villa Park today means that everything about Paul Lambert is forever etched in failure. If only they''d won today he''d have been the greatest manager in the history of football, not the worst, as he obviously is now.[/quote]A mature and helpful response.  Well done.

[quote user="ridgeman"]Today reminded me of a talk I had with a Newcastle supporter sometime ago when I asked why Hughton had been sacked he replied uninspiring football.   [/quote]Pardew should probably be concerned then - oh hang on, he has a long contract and no doubt a massive pay-off clause if sacked.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 IV"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 IV"]"Whatever you do, or attempt to do, be bold. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it". - Unknown.

You''re right. The result at Villa Park today means that everything about Paul Lambert is forever etched in failure. If only they''d won today he''d have been the greatest manager in the history of football, not the worst, as he obviously is now.[/quote]A mature and helpful response.  Well done.[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts r.e. your original post. Glad you understood.

[quote user="Canary02 IV"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 IV"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Canary02 IV"]"Whatever you do, or attempt to do, be bold. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it". - Unknown.

You''re right. The result at Villa Park today means that everything about Paul Lambert is forever etched in failure. If only they''d won today he''d have been the greatest manager in the history of football, not the worst, as he obviously is now.[/quote]A mature and helpful response.  Well done.[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts r.e. your original post. Glad you understood.[/quote]My dad could beat up your dad.