Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

Bennett = PACE

Although it was a poor game today from both sides, we are still sitting in mid table and 1 point nearer to safety.

Now that the game has been and gone, I would like to see us improve in some areas which I feel we have been lacking throughout the season - namely, the level of quality in the final third and the pace in the starting 11.

If we managed to make an improvement in these two areas, then I think we will reap the benefits - especially in games like today!

It is evident that the pace of our play in the final third this season is really quite slow and predictable. As much as I love them, none of our current front 4 (Holt, Snodgrass, Pilks and Wes) actually threaten teams with any real pace.

Playing with two wingers who have to cut onto their stronger foot slows the game down and allows the opponents defense to get into a better position. This happens so many times and we often end up passing the ball back or inwards.

It is predictable as well. Any decent scout will see that Snodgrass cuts onto his left 90% of the time and premiership quality full backs can deal with it easily.

I truly believe this is why Holt has scored so few this season. He thrived on our quick, attacking open play last year and he isn''t getting the same service this year.

A few facts to back this up, we have the highest number of headed goals in the league - 38%. Also, less than half of our goals are scored from open play (11 out of 24). The rest of our goals coming from corners and free kicks. It''s an area we need to improve. Newcastle were there for the taking today and we got no where near scoring.

Which is why I think that it is time for E.B to get a starting place in the next few games. He has the pace to get in behind that we have been missing all season - and I think Holt would benefit from it.

Who to drop? I think it depends if Snodgrass can play on the left wing. He has been one of our more consistent performers so far and chipped in with a few goals and assists.

Whilst Pilkington''s goals have been important and well taken, he does drift in and out of games, which isn''t ideal.

Apologies if some people think this has already been mentioned elsewhere / belongs in an existing thread.

OTBC

Pace for pace''s sake is not that important, otherwise Simon Whaley, Luke Daley and Anthony Macnamee would all have played for England.  And at home, where you are controlling possession and trying to pick an opening by passing the ball, it''s less important than creativity and off the ball movement.If Prem full backs can "deal with Snodgrass easily", why has he been so effective up until now?  Again our most threatening player today.That said - I would like EB to get a go in the team in place of Pilkington.  An away game where we are likely to need to play on the counter attack is more likely to suit EB than a home game where we set the relatively slow tempo.

other than he offered little quality when he did come on. I would have liked to see him through the middle today yet he did his usual of getting in position to cross only the find no one in particular.

None of the players outside the back 4 did well today

"If Prem full backs can "deal with Snodgrass easily", why has he been so effective up until now?"

I would argue that his effectiveness (goals and assists) have come in dead ball situations. His delivery is great and he has become one of our most important players this season (hence why I want him to start next game). However, in open play, whilst he is obviously a good player, he rarely gets ''in behind'' with his blistering pace and crosses in for Holt to nod in.

I was not trying to criticise Snodgrass at all- he''s great.

My OP suggested that we needed pace in the team to make us more dangerous in open play. RS should definitely be in the team, but Benno will give us the pace we need. If this happens, then I think Holty will start scoring a bit more.

"Again our most threatening player today"

I think we had 1 meaningful shot on target.

"Pace for pace''s sake is not that important, otherwise Simon Whaley, Luke Daley and Anthony Macnamee would all have played for England."

EB has more to offer than just pace. He can beat a man, put in a decent cross and his work ethic, team work and tracking back is superb. He''s a decent player who, I think, should be more involved in the next few games.

And pace is generally considered to be quite important to break teams down. It is something that we are lacking and would make us more dangerous in open play.

I can see your points Y&G but correct me if I''m wrong, both are wingers play on the wrong side and

I''m sure I read that this is a deliberate tactic to make the team more solid by mostly forcing Snodders and Pilks to go inside.

My main criticism of Hoots is his total refusal to change formation during a game. Newcastle were there for the taking today but the subs made were like for like. There does appear to be a total lack of imagination tactically at times.

Our manager has tremendous experience of the Premier league so I assume he knows what he''s doing but boy it does get tedious at times and yep our forward play is laboured and lacking in pace in crucial parts of the pitch.

Apart from all this, I am a glass half full chap. A point was handy today and one more game closer to safety.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I would have liked to see him through the middle today  [/quote]

I agree. Once it became clear Hoolahan was having the kind of game where nothing was going to go right for him I''d have brought Bennett into the attacking midfield role and given Newcastle something different to think about.

Unfortunately Hughton just made like for like changes and unsurprisingly they didn''t pay off.

Pace is good. The problem we had yesterday was that no one could put that final ball through for our pacey players to get on to in the final third. At times the Newcastle defence were playing so far up the field it was crying out for that final ball for Jackson ,Snodgrass or Bennett to use their pace to get behind them. We had so much possession in midfield but the final ball was always missing.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I can see your points Y&G but correct me if I''m wrong, both are wingers play on the wrong side and

I''m sure I read that this is a deliberate tactic to make the team more solid by mostly forcing Snodders and Pilks to go inside.

My main criticism of Hoots is his total refusal to change formation during a game. Newcastle were there for the taking today but the subs made were like for like. There does appear to be a total lack of imagination tactically at times

Our manager has tremendous experience of the Premier league so I assume he knows what he''s doing but boy it does get tedious at times and yep our forward play is laboured and lacking in pace in crucial parts of the pitch.

Apart from all this, I am a glass half full chap. A point was handy today and one more game closer to safety.[/quote]I completely agree; as much as I am happy with what Hoots is doing

I agree about Benno. I think that he should be given a run out for a few games. I would drop Pilkington, whom seemed poor yesterday, and move Snoddy over to the left, from where he could cross with his left.

Snoddy also looked  tired yesteerday, and went off early. Had he suffered a cold or something similar? perhaps he needs a game or two to re-charge his batteries?