Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Set Pieces

Whilst it is a very useful weapon to have decent set-pieces in your armoury, I think Hughton has become hugely reliant on these to get us out of trouble.I may be wrong but I think 13 of our 24 goals this season have come as a result of a set-peice.  Therefore, in 22 league games, we''ve only scored 11 goals from open play.  This is a pretty worrying stat because when the set-pieces are poor (yesterday for example) we create almost no chances.  I would put this down to the tactics and formation, rather than the quality of our forwards.  I think any forward within our price range, is going to struggle to score goals playing the way we do.  Holt, Jackson, Morison, Kane and Wes have all struggled to have any kind of attacking impact (in terms of actually making the opposition keeper work) what makes us think that Hooper, Graham, CMS etc are going to do any better?  If they don''t get any chances, they simply won''t score any goals.   Rather than adopt a more attacking formation when needed during games (yesterday being a prime example) Hughton would rather keep it tight becuase he knows we''ve always got half a chance of getting lucky from a corner or free kick.  A dubious strategy IMHO and certainly not an entertaining one.

All of Hooper, Graham and CMS have more to their  respective games than either Morison or Jackson who are both very limited and I believe that any of those three would vastly improve our striking options whether at set-pieces or otherwise.

Ruddy, and to a lesser extent Bunn, has been very good for us this season. We have also come accross some excellent keepers in opposing sides - you''d expect this in the premiership. The result has been that very good goal-keeping has cost us many goals. We have only to consider the last two games, both with foreign keepers. Newcastle''s Krul saved our best effort, from Pilkington, and the Peterborough  keeper saved his side from a real hammering!

Stikers have to be very good to beat the better keepers in the Premiership. Out problem is that apart from Holt, our strikers are not top class, and the way the side is set up defensively means we do not get many chances. Even yesterday, however, we had 12 attempts at goal. Sadly only about 3 were on target!