Sign in to follow this  
Canary02 IV

Transfer rumours may be for nothing

As we''ve all come to realise, Hughton isn''t one to change his mind on tactics, regardless of the situation or personnel available.

As such, I find it difficult to understand why people keep assuming we''re chasing strikers. Hughton will obviously persevere with only one up front and unless he''s going to replace his captain (which will cost an enormous amount if you''re looking at an upgrade on Holt) then I don''t see him bringing anyone in just to sit on the bench. It''s not like the strikers are missing shed loads of chances either, it''s that we''re not creating many and relying on set pieces to get goals.

That''s not to say I don''t think we need extra firepower, as I definitely do, but Hughton''s set-up doesn''t make me think that a striker will be a priority for him.

Let''s hope that if Hughton has more quality options available to him up front he will feel able to be positive especially at home in matches like this one which we should have won today.

Even by today''s hysterical standards this thread is ridiculous. The one thing the last few games have shown is that we are in trouble when Holt is not available.

Even if we continue playing a single striker, we need more than one viable option. If none of Morison, Jackson or Kane is up to the job then we need someone who is. We need someone to come on when Holt is substituted who can maintain standards and someone to make Holt sit on the bench as he did last season and come on fired up as he did at Liverpool.

Staying as we are would be foolish and just mean more games like today.

Sorry to be hysterical and ridiculous but just to point out that I did say I thought we needed more firepower in the original post.

My point was that I don''t necessarily think that means Chris Hughton will agree. Given that Morison is one of the few players outside of the first eleven that Hughton looks to give game time to, I think it''s safe to assume he rates him, and with Moro and Holt already on board I don''t think it''s he given that people think it is that we will buy a big name striker.

Our attacking options are limited and a worry. I think Hughton knows we need one, but it''s the case of getting the right man at a price the club can afford.

Would fans prefer we get an unsuitable player rather than none at all? It seems that Hughton is banking on us getting goals from other areas of the pitch as none of our forwards will hit double figures this season.

I guess the wider issue is the extent to which not bringing someone significantly increases the risk of relegation. In such circumstances we may have to ''overpay''; the real error was not strengthening in the Summer.

I do not think that Hughton is quite that rigid. He must have realised that his options up front were limited as, apart from GH, the others have not shown much to impress him and Kane is just too raw.

He also had major defensive concerns to deal with.

We need another top class striker and, as I put in another thread, should push the boat out just once for such a player at this critical time for the Club.

A genuine No 2 in the striking department and I believe that he would be quicker to use two up front should we go behind away from home and that he would likely employ this formation from the start in most of the home games against weaker opposition. A genuine No.2 and the pressure would not be on Holt so much to perform out of his skin week in week out.    

He is a conservative manager, no doubt, but he is also an experienced tactician who  should know what to do when the situation requires action from the bench.

Why on earth would you think that Wiz?

Hughton has said we are looking at players, he''s even been up to Scotland to watch a potential signing. Hardly any PL clubs have made any signings yet, January transfers mostly happen in the later stages as anyone a club sells they probably need to immediately replace, in the summer they have weeks to replace them, in Jan they have a couple weeks.

I''d have liked Hughton to have had a almost done deal before Jan, ready to step in immediately, but its not all down to what we and he wants. We have money to spend, we have targets, we have an appeal to players.

We need a proficient and clinical finisher up front. (This is not Holt''s greatest attribute, although he is the best we have currently. His contribution is in other ways, - morale, example, defending, etc.) Yesterday we had 12 attempts at goal, with only 3 on target, according to BBC statistics.

Some people have written about any expensive newcomer sitting on the bench, as if that is a reason not to sign anyone. My argument is:

- Holt, like the rest of the team, needs competition

- If there is a "Plan B", it surely ought to contain the strategy of playing 2 good strikers if we are chasing a game.

- Other teams are beginning to suss our strategy of playing only one striker, and prepare for it. If we also had a two striker stratgey for some games, probably giving Wes a rest, we would be less predictable.

- We have suffered a little during the absence of "strong as an oak" Holt, with his hamstrings. He has had a fairly injury-free career at Norwich, but there is always a risk of another injury, and we can''t ignore this.

Millions of pounds hang on our retaining our Premiership status. Surely spending some of that in advance on a decent striker, even if it is a little over the odds, makes sense!

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Why on earth would you think that Wiz? Hughton has said we are looking at players, he''s even been up to Scotland to watch a potential signing. Hardly any PL clubs have made any signings yet, January transfers mostly happen in the later stages as anyone a club sells they probably need to immediately replace, in the summer they have weeks to replace them, in Jan they have a couple weeks. I''d have liked Hughton to have had a almost done deal before Jan, ready to step in immediately, but its not all down to what we and he wants. We have money to spend, we have targets, we have an appeal to players.[/quote]

Nothing more than a wizzy feeling GP, plus little snippets of CH sayings and non committal quotes.

A hunch in other words.[;)]

[quote user="Salopian"]

We need a proficient and clinical finisher up front. (This is not Holt''s greatest attribute, although he is the best we have currently. His contribution is in other ways, - morale, example, defending, etc.) Yesterday we had 12 attempts at goal, with only 3 on target, according to BBC statistics.

Some people have written about any expensive newcomer sitting on the bench, as if that is a reason not to sign anyone. My argument is:

- Holt, like the rest of the team, needs competition

- If there is a "Plan B", it surely ought to contain the strategy of playing 2 good strikers if we are chasing a game.

- Other teams are beginning to suss our strategy of playing only one striker, and prepare for it. If we also had a two striker stratgey for some games, probably giving Wes a rest, we would be less predictable.

- We have suffered a little during the absence of "strong as an oak" Holt, with his hamstrings. He has had a fairly injury-free career at Norwich, but there is always a risk of another injury, and we can''t ignore this.

Millions of pounds hang on our retaining our Premiership status. Surely spending some of that in advance on a decent striker, even if it is a little over the odds, makes sense!

[/quote]

I agree with every word of that.

As I posted earlier, this is a critical time for the Club  and I feel it''s time to compromise our transfer strategy (assuming we have that reported £10m spendability) and our wages policy just once for the cause of that vital survival.