Sign in to follow this  
Rock The Boat

"Masses of Norwich support in Ipswich postcodes" - must read...

From todays Daily Telegraph an article showing the locations from where football supporters are twittering.

Specifically they mention the massive Norwich support from.... Ipswich postcode areas!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9795377/Twitter-map-finally-reveals-exactly-where-Manchester-United-fans-live.html

[quote user="JayNCFC"]

I live in Watton, that has an IP postcode.... I am sure I am closer to Norwich though.

[/quote]

You are, unquestionably. I had the misfortune to grow up there.

Boring fact: Watton is on the boundary of 3 postcode zones, some of the surrounding villages are NR, some IP and some PE.

Alot of South Norfolk and some of Breckland have IP post codes, Diss, Thetford, Harleston and the surrounding areas. Postcodes arnt about county boundaries.

[quote user="gorlestongirl"]Seems to dispel the myth that Yarmouth is full of Man U supporters.[/quote]

Could be non of them know how to use twitter

[quote user="JayNCFC"]I live in Watton, that has an IP postcode.... I am sure I am closer to Norwich though.[/quote]

Same here Jay

this is such a non story by people who clearly have no concept of the fact that postcode areas bear absolutely no resemblance to county borders ....very lame indeed.

as has been discussed , I live in Dereham, the geographical centre of Norfolk, whilst we have an NR postcode, lierally 3 miles south west in the next village of Shipdham, they fall under the shadow of an IP postcode.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

this is such a non story by people who clearly have no concept of the fact that postcode areas bear absolutely no resemblance to county borders ....very lame indeed.

as has been discussed , I live in Dereham, the geographical centre of Norfolk, whilst we have an NR postcode, lierally 3 miles south west in the next village of Shipdham, they fall under the shadow of an IP postcode.

[/quote]

You obviously haven''t clicked on the links provided

http://oxfordinternetinstitute.github.com/football-mapping/#norwichcity

otherwise you''d have noticed all the yellow-coloured districts around Ipswich and in Suffolk, which is the main point of the OP.

There seems to be a lot of City support south of the border.

On the other hand in west and north norfolk they don''t seem to support Norwich as much as the Glory teams.

I''m regularly tweeting from home, which has a postcode SN3 but the map has a big fat zero for us from that position. My daughter also posts from home.

Very interesting!   I looked at the support for most of the teams - I don''t use twitter myself but I suppose it is quite representative of each teams spread of support in general

Poor old Wigan Athletic!!   Less support than a worn out jockstrap!!  

[quote user="swindoncanary"]I''m regularly tweeting from home, which has a postcode SN3 but the map has a big fat zero for us from that position. My daughter also posts from home. [/quote]

Then you don''t have your geo-location turned on in twitter

Not being familiar with Twitter... can anyone tell me if mentioning a team name with a hashtag (which was the criteria used to make these stats) can reliably be said to equate to supporting that team? For example, if Ippo fans wanted to tweet (deridingly and enviously) about us might that not be counted in these figures?

Couldnt resist looking at Aston Villa (I know rather sad!)

BUT it seems I''m not the only one

see how strong the tweet signal is from central east anglia!